8.0

1996 Jeep Cherokee suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Jeep Cherokee:

1996 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Jun 012016

Cherokee Classoc 4.0L V6

So this has been a reoccurring issue. We have tried and tried to get it fixed. We will take it to a mechanic and they will say it is fixed but then later on it will occur again. There is a video of a similar occurrence for someone else. Is there anything that has worked for someone else?

- , Lisbon, IA, USA

Aug 102011

Cherokee SE 6 cyl 4.0L

I bought my '96 Jeep Cherokee as my first car when I was 18, and I felt like the coolest chick on the road... Until I realized what a pain in the behind my beautiful baby was going to turn into. This is only one of the MANY problems this car has. I cannot drive over 55mph without running the risk that I am going to hit a bump too high for my Jeep (yes, my JEEP) to handle. (Oh the irony...) And when this happens, the car shakes violently and uncontrollably until I am forced to flip on my hazards, pull to the side of the road, and come to a complete stop. Only THEN does the shaking cease, and if I am lucky and my Jeep isn't feeling especially moody, I can go another 20 miles or so before it happens again. Now this little girl has given my problems from the start, but I have always treated her well. But this became too much for me to handle and right now she is sitting unused in my driveway for the third month in a row :( I was told that this was caused by my suspension (I am a 19 year old girl, I know next to nothing about cars despite my father being a mechanic) and if I pushed it too hard my suspension could break and I could lose control of the car. This is no bueno. I spent $2400 (yeah that was a lot of money for a teenage girl to save up all on her own) on this car and I would like to at least get more than ONE YEARS WORTH OF USE OUT OF IT. I realize it is 16 years old, but COME ON. She's so beautiful, the exterior is in perfect condition, as well as the interior... it's just under the hood that SUCKS. I hate to see such a pretty car go to waste, but as of right now there is nothing I can afford to do... Luckily (scoff) I have a Honda. (scoff again.) And I guess that will do... not nearly as pretty though.

- , Carbondale, IL, USA

May 092013

Cherokee 3.2L V6

ALL OF A SUDDEN, THE FRONT END HAS THE SHAKE OF DEATH WHEN YOU HIT ABOUT 50MPH. YOU HAVE TO STOP THE CAR WHEN THIS HAPPENS.

- , Florence, MT, USA