2001 Jeep Cherokee steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Cherokee:

2001 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Oct 112015

Cherokee V6

I have just returned from my mechanic. My car for the past several months has been making a horrendous squeaking sound when it turns left AND right. I could turn the vehicle in short places and it still makes the same sound. When I run the car in circles, same thing. It recently began to rain heavily and the weather has gotten really cold and whatever was causing the issue at one point, temporarily, stopped. The noises went away.

Mechanic thinks it is a power steering issue as there is a leak apparently in one of the pumps. Power steering belt was also going bad however this was immediately replaced. Fluids were topped off as well. The vehicle is pretty old but not over the top. Nevertheless, the sound continues. I test drove it after running the repairs and the sound still appears to be there although the audible level is slightly lower.

Brakes are fine. Pads are okay. Power steering has now been fixed. My theory is that the issue is coming from the bottom of the car as opposed to the near the engine. I vaguely remember replacing the shocks recently so that isn't it either I think.

I have been told the catalytic converter needs replacement however I do not think that is causing the issue. I'm completely out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- , Annandale, VA, USA