2007 Jeep Compass suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Compass:

2007 Jeep Compass Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 302016

When filled up with fuel, car stalls out and cuts off. I have replaced all of the bearings and car still makes a roaring noise with the axle. Upper control arms are completely damaged. Battery light continues to come on and headlight was replaced but does not stay on. Light stays on indicating vacuum hose issue. 4 wheel drive light stays on.

- Jarratt, VA, USA

Jul 142016

While driving, I started hearing some bumping underneath my Compass and a day later it knock and driving rough. I made it to work and immediately call tow. A day after the tow, I received a call from the repair shop and was told that my sub frame had rusted through and broke. I only had the vehicle for two tears and a few months, and still paying for it. I contacted Jeep Corp. And was told the was nothing they could do for me. My fidelity warranty states what they cover, but when I contacted them they told me that after five years they deems the bad tie rods as wear & tear. I was never told that when I purchased the service contract. If my prayers aren't heard, then I must pay $2700 out of my pocket.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 262016

I have replaced the front and back suspension. I bought this used, and I think I was not given the proper information regarding the car.

- Stony Brook, NY, USA

Jun 122013

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle experienced acceleration failure. The vehicle accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed. It was also difficult to view the odometer. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to find a failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 146,000. In addition, on September 15, 2013, the power steering failed and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle stalled, but was able to restart. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the control arm and bushing failed. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Aug 032015

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. While driving 35 mph and making a right turn, the ball joint axle detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the ball joint axle and the control arm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- North Andover, MA, USA

Aug 062015

I bought this car in 2008, it is a 2007 Jeep ( 2014 or around). We had tires wearing out, and took it in for alignment and spent around $200 to fix tie rods and alignment. About a year later went in for oil change to dealer and they said my arm control in front of car ( 2) needed replacement. I get from reading on line and just that they knew that this was a possible problem, that this was a common thing. Since it is a safety issue, I am writing this to try and get this as a recall, I paid the almost $10 to fix ( my daughter, we share car) but could you look into this and see if it is occurring more then normal ( odds are it is) and what the weakness is in the control arms, and because it can so affect ones ability to control car, has to be put on a recall. Pam holloway

- Bellingham, WA, USA

May 312015

I drove for several hours when my car started sliding to the side. I stopped to check and both my back tires were angled inward and completely ruined. I took the car to a mechanic for alignment, but he could not move the parts due to an excessive amount of rust. He mentioned that the whole subframe and arms had heavy corrosion and whole and the pieces could break anytime soon and I should not be driving the car. An extended warranty is applicable to the K frame for the model of my car but Jeep will not honor the warranty on my particular vehicle. I haven't drove the car since.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 062014

Compass 4-cyl

At first my car was wearing out tires often ( 83, 068 miles) than it also started having a rough ride...thumps, clumps and clicks when you drove or turned the wheel, than the ride got rougher, it honestly gave me headaches from the noise as the wheels rolled on, ( I got tire rods, control arm and ball joint replaced in June 2014, seven months later control arm, ball joint and tie rod broke, (my wheel was dangling apart from my car) as I was transporting my son to his bus stop, 'luckily no one was injured" my car was towed to a mechanic($600), I had my car repaired and was informed the right side was in dire need for ($465). This car requires a lot of suspension work, I currently have 87,000 miles on my car now, (fairly low) my car now stalls out when I stop for a red light, it has even putted as if the gas isn't circulating to the engine, 'major issues".

- Phila, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Compass 4WD 4-cyl

I had a rear left wheel bearing and hub assembly removed and replaced because of the very loud noises it produced. Then he also told me at that time, I would also need a right rear wheel bearing done, and rear brakes. I already had my front brakes replaced. In addition a tie rod replaced as well and also lower left and lower right control arms replaced. Not to mention a wheel alignment to boot because I just put on 4 new tires. Now with everything I have heard I'm worried about my ball joints, will they be next" I am afraid to drive the dumb car, I don't go for any trips or anything, I am a senior who hasn't much money but I would like to be safe. Why aren't they making Jeep do a recall on these cars" I also received in the mail a silent recall for corrosion on the cross members, now they are giving me a hard time about that as well. Please, someone help us out!

- Indian River, MI, USA

Jun 022014

My vehicle, has a rough ride, traction light flashes often. I had several repairs done on my front in June 2014, (upper, lower control arms, left and right sides, rotors, brakes and tires are always needed). On February 2,2015 my left front ball joints and control arms broke and my wheel broke off, I am currently in need of more control arm and strut repair on my right side again! my vehicle clumps and has a rough ride, I am in constant fear driving this vehicle, because of the constant issues with my front end, even after its repaired.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that while having the vehicle inspected, it was advised that the lower passenger side ball joint and control arm needed to be replaced. In addition, the independent mechanic diagnosed that the front end suspension needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact previously had the right control arm repaired under a manufacturer recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000. Djr

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Sep 082010

Compass 4WD 4-cyl

Bought the car brand new in 2007. Replaced left and right control arms in 2010 and again in 2014. The car only has 60,603 miles and its on its 3rd set of control arms. I should not be going through control arms that fast. I drive less than 2 miles to work everyday. Filed a complaint with Jeep in 2010 and they paid as "good will repair". the car was not under warranty. They refused to pay for the 2014 even though its only 30,000 miles later. Control arms should be lasting longer than 30,000 miles! the car has had numerous repairs including a gas tank problem where gas poured back out at you while you pump. Clearly there is something wrong with this vehicle. The attorney general in Rhode Island has referred me to this administrative Agency. Could you please help?

- Warwick, RI, USA

Apr 252014

Upon an inspection of the underneath of my 2007 Jeep Compass, it was found that my front sub frame (also known as the K frame) has serious rust issues. There is actually a section on the back side of the sub frame that has rusted out (approx. 1/2 inch by 4 inch in size). After some investigating issues with this vehicle on the internet, I found that this a common problem with this vehicle and that Jeep has not recalled this issue. I will be replacing the part because this is a major safety issue with this vehicle.

- Toronto, OH, USA

Jul 022013

Compass 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated while driving various speeds a clicking noise was present in the front end of the vehicle. The contact stated the failure was diagnosed and repaired by an independent mechanic who determined the right ball joint was defective and needed to be replaced. The contact notified the manufacturer of the defect. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Feb 042014

Compass 4-cyl

The alternator stops working after 90000 miles. You hear a big thumping sound like a tank. You do feel it but, is loud when accelerating and accelerating.

- Hillsdale, NJ, USA

May 292013

Compass 4-cyl

The car began pulling in the front right tire intermittently. I was a half mile from home, so I turned around to go back home. As I drove into the driveway, the front right tire and entire front right suspension completely fell down (almost completely off) and the tire was pushed sideways and into the frame of the wheel well on the car. The car came to an immediate and abrupt halt. Had I been driving on the road when this occurred, my car would have flipped and I would have crashed and could have been killed! this is a huge safety problem and defect that I believe should be part of a recall. I have read many reports of problems with this model/year concerning the wheel bearings, lower control arms, and tie rods. I have great concern driving this vehicle in the future after it is repaired.

- Millington, MD, USA

Jan 032013

Compass 4-cyl

On June 13 2011 my Compass with only 17085 miles on it, had cracked a front spring that had grinded a ring around my pass side tire. I was not aware of the problem, but I noticed some noise in the front end so I brought it to a dealer for service. I was told what had happened and how surprised the service dept. Was with this incident. They told me they could not believe it. It took a while but after some complaints and disgust with the dealership, but more so with Chrysler, everything did get covered buy the 2 parties. Not to mention the fact that my vehicle was and still is under warranty. Today is January 3 2013 and guess what" I now have to contact the dealer and probably Chrysler again. My Compass is still under warranty with only 27450 miles and now the driver side front spring is cracked and is beginning to do the exact same thing to my other tire again. I don't know what the dealer will say or do but I will contact them first thing in the morning, they are closed at this time. I was just wondering if this is a common problem or just a fluke" to me this seems like it should be a possible defect and put under a recall. If anyone of these tires would have been warn down enough and a tire would have blown out, there could have been a very serious and or deadly accident.

- Depew, NY, USA

Feb 152007

Entire suspension system is nothing but junk. Replaced tie rod ends, inner and outer, ball joints, sway bar links, struts, hubs and axle. Some of these parts more than once. The tire came dangerously close to falling off the vehicle with less than 24 hr notice that something was wrong. Failed inspection last year for tie rod end that was replaced previous year. Chrysler will not budge on taking responsibility for what my mechanic calls "junk". does someone have to die before they react??

- Shelburne Falls, MA, USA

Apr 162012

Just like a lot of other complaints, had to have tie rods and ball joints replaced. Seem like a lot of the Jeep compasses have this problem. Can they not make them better. Should be a recall.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Mar 012012

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that the struts, ball joints and wheel hubs had to be replaced on the vehicle three times. The dealer stated that the parts were designed to wear. The contact stated that the transmission also failed. The dealer advised the contact that the cvt part was the cause of the failure and the entire transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 128,000.

- Lake Ariel, PA, USA