2002 Jeep Liberty drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Nov 292013

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

First off, I want to state that ANY vehicle that is driven is subject to wear-and-tear under normal use, and if it's a Jeep it will be used harder than your typical passenger vehicle or SUV. Also if a maintenance schedule isn't followed this will further accelerate the wear-and-tear of any vehicle.

I bought my 2002 Jeep Liberty from a used car dealer back in November of 2013. Around in my area anything that is four-wheel-drive is sought after and sold at a premium. I ran the VIN a few weeks after I had purchased it and discovered that the first owner was a Rental Agency out of Colorado. The second owner was a private owner and had the motor replaced for unknown reasons. I am the third owner and thus far I love the little Jeep. To date I have put on 13,972 miles and have only had to change the oil, air filter, and a radiator. But since the beginning there has been a knocking sound coming from under the Jeep, and I have had passengers tell me that they feel the knocking coming from under the passenger floor board. Both the shop and I have inspected the underside and can't come up with the reason why it's knocking. I have also discovered that the rear wiper motor was broken, and come to find out this was a common issue for these vehicles and that the replacement version is beefed up better to prevent this from occurring again.

Other than the minor issues I will gladly purchase another Liberty in the near future.

- , Vernal, UT, USA