2002 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 292015

I keep my car parked in an enclosed garage when it is not being driven. One morning, I went into the garage to drive my car to work. I used my remote to open my car door. I then noticed that the backseat passenger window, immediately behind the driver side was rolled down. I know I had not rolled it down. I got in the car and pushed on the button to raise the window. The window rattled and groaned with an electrical sound. I looked at the window - it had not rolled up. I had to get to work, so I drove my car with the window in that shape. When I got to work I asked a co-worker to help me tape it up. So then, my window was manually pushed up by two people trying to push it up from the inside and the outside. Then tape was applied to the window to hold it up, but it started to slip down. So the person who was first helping put a piece of cardboard on the inside part of the window, saying that would prevent it from falling down. It worked for awhile, but then the cardboard slipped down into the window. So then, I found two bigger pieces of cardboard to hold it in the closed position and we taped some more. It is now taped up and so far is holding, but as rain may come, it will probably fall again. I called Jeep and asked how this could be repaired. They told me it would cost about $400. I don't have a spare $400 to spend on a car that has had a massive number of problems and has cost me thousands of dollars in repairs over the year. Then the next thing that happened was that the front driver-side hubcab disappeared - this is never ending trouble with this car. The car has been a problem from the beginning. I told Jeep early on - they would do nothing to help or exchange it for a car without problems. This vehicle is terrible, and the dealership is even worse.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Jun 182015

I was pulling out of my driveway and the car just shut completely off and I was stuck in the middle of the road. About 10 mins later, it started back up again and drove normally. This is not safe at all and if I was driving on the road, I could have died. I'm scared to drive this car now and I can't afford to go to a mechanic and pay thousands of dollars. From looking online, this is a recurring problem with this car. There should be a recall on this issue. Someone can really lose their life over this.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Oct 142013

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V527000 (air bags) and 13V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the parts needed were not available to perform the recalls repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Jan 032015

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure was experienced after the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags). The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 143,000.

- Paragould, AR, USA

Mar 012012

The light flash on and off. Air bag light still on, the power window of bag door don, T work, the rear cargo door don, T open, the stopper rubber close the schock absorber (front) blow away, etc etc etc are factory deffects all, the lyberty is a junk, the cia should take back and refund the money

- Carolina, PR, USA

Jan 022006

Liberty 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway with cruise control on doing about 60 mph when suddenly the Jeep Liberty started jerking and the RPM needle arm and the speedometer arm started going crazy up and down. The Liberty started to slow down so I had to press on the gas pedal to maintain speed. The speedometer quit working and so did the cruise control, the auto door locks also quit working. The motor also started to die whenever I slowed down or come to a stop at a stop sign or red lights. Where its dangerous is when I am slowing down to make a turn and going in to it or half way in to it the motor dies and I lose the power steering. It takes alot of strength to complete the turn safely. I took the Liberty to a repair shop where they hooked it to a analyze machine. It said the speed sensor was bad, I had it replaced but it didn't fix anything. I took it to the dealer where I bought it, they told me it could be hundreds of dollars just to try to find out what is wrong with it. Recently I checked in the internet and saw that there are hundreds of other 2002 Jeep Liberty owners having the same problem. Speedometer quits working, motor died when you slowdown, and replacing the speed sensor doesn't fix anything. Its dangerous because you can crash when making a turn and the motor dies and you lose your steering. I know I have had some close calls. I hope you will check in to this problem. Just check in the internet and you will see alot of people have it with there 2002 Jeep Liberty. Thank you for your time.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 152014

Liberty 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle down the highway when my vehicle made a loud popping sound that sounded like it came through the stereo system. I noticed all power to my car went out. The radio, lights, dash, headlights, everything shut off. I went and tried everything. I thought maybe a fuse had blown, not the case. I replaced head lamps, and the lights still didn't work. I changed my steering switch out and have since figured out it must be an electrical issue? I have read many many pages about people with this same issue or very similar. I can no longer drive the vehicle at this time because I don't feel safe in it and its not street safe.

- Aragon, GA, USA

Jan 012003

2002 Jeep Liberty electrical issue: Interior lights flicker on and then off. Very distracting while driving at night and it also happens when vehicle is parked.

- Addison, IL, USA

Dec 082014

The vehicle has been exhibiting issues with the igition switch similar to others such as the GM Chevrolet cobalt and Saturn ion. When the ingition switch is rotated to the start/crank position and the vehicle starts and the key is released it sometimes does not fully return to the on/run position from the start crank position. Although the engine is running and the vehicle can be driven some electrical function are offline due to the ignition switches failure to rully return to the on/run position. The situation is not usually noticed until the vehicle is in motion and one the the effected systems is used (turn signal, HVAC, radio) systems that are effected and not receiving power are turn signals, radio, airbag, HVAC. The switch can be moved into the on/run position and these systems then come on-line. This is a dangerous situation and may result in an accident (signal lamps not working, HVAC defogger not working) or possible airbag non-deployment in a crash (possible injury or fatality). This issue has occured at least 3 times in the last two weeks. The vehicle in question is in immaculate condition and well maintained by an ase certified master auto technician> the vehicle has no significant accident or damage history.

- Le Roy, IL, USA

Apr 012014

2002 Jeep Liberty steering went out of my car. Module knocked out because it kept climbing and dead battery. The consumer experienced electrical problems, which caused the battery to drain, on several occasions. The repair shop, pulled out a fuse in the door panel. The consumer also stated, the vehicle stalled.

- Williamsburg, PA, USA

Sep 012014

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle but the problem occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that there was an electrical shortage on the rear hatch module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,986. Updated 11/24/14

- Williamsburg, PA, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving various speeds, the contact heard a pop sound and a stick separated from the window. The contact stated that the part that connects to the motor inside the panel was ripped in half. The contact stated that all of the windows failed to operate. The failure occurred a month ago. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the window motors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Selden, NY, USA

Jun 192013

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts were not available. The dealer did not know when the parts would be available. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Ionia, MI, USA

May 212014

Liberty 6-cyl

On two or three occasions, while driving at night with the headlights on, without warning my headlights and park lights have shut off by themselves. The lights will usually be off for approximately 5 - 10 seconds and then come back on by themselves. The events seem to happen randomly and without warning.

- Seymour, IN, USA

May 312012

Driving through a school zone one morning and the car suddenly lost power steering and shut off, would not start again. Towed it back to house and read check engine code about crankshaft position sensor. It melted in place because of where it is in relation to the exhaust, took 4-5 months to fully dig out the melted sensor and replace. Had to put a heat shield over it myself and has since lasted 2+ years without trouble. Very poor design and a hassle to fix.

- Little Egg Harbor Twp, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

Liberty 6-cyl

The lock motor/linkage for the rear swing door stopped working. This in and of itself isn't a big deal but apparently every time I clicked the key fob to unlock vehicle for entry the malfunctioned lock motor caused battery drainage. In just a month a brand new battery was completely dead and couldn't hold a charge. I am lucky that I was only stranded a mile from home. There seems to be hundreds of people with the same issue and some people have had it cause more than battery drainage. Electrical fires ensued.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 052013

In order of failures. Rear wiper would work constantly while vehicle in gear. Airbag light kept dinging. Gate glass wouldn't close. Gate wouldn't open unless glass button pushed on fob. Tried key in rear lock, radio turned on. With key not in ignition. Radio on, heater blower on, left side markers on. Could smell burning wires and smoke in Jeep, disconnected the battery.

- Forestville, NY, USA

Jan 032013

Liberty 6-cyl

Have recall on orc filter circuit and the new recall about the gas tank and I can not get Jeep to do anything about it. I called the first week in July, 2013 again Aug, 2013 and keep getting run-A-round.

- Richburg, SC, USA

Aug 302013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the interior ceiling ignited into flames while the front driver's side seat was occupied. The driver's side of the roof completely melted and the passenger's seat occupant sustained burns to both arms and the fingers. The fire department extinguished the fire and informed the contact that the failure was contributed to a faulty electrical short circuit. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 9/19/13

- Annapolis , MD, USA

Jan 012012

The headlights turn off for up to 2 seconds while I am driving. The pattern seems to occur at all different speeds and may or may not be associated with using the turning signals or the act of turning. I tried replacing the headlight relay, and that did not fix the problem. It seems to be getting worse, and I worry that it will get so bad I will not be able to drive at night. I currently suspect a problem with the multifunction switch or simply a loose wire somewhere. On one occasion, my interior lights turned on while I was driving on the expressway at night and not touching the multifunction stalk at all-not sure if that is related, and again, it only happened once. This is a safety hazard and a hassle. I'm constantly worried that I will be pulled over for flashing my headlights or that I'll be driving blind when an animal runs out in front of me.

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA