2002 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 012014

Liberty

The lock motor/linkage for the rear swing door stopped working. This in and of itself isn't a big deal but apparently every time I clicked the key fob to unlock vehicle for entry the malfunctioned lock motor caused battery drainage. In just a month a brand new battery was completely dead and couldn't hold a charge. I am lucky that I was only stranded a mile from home. There seems to be hundreds of people with the same issue and some people have had it cause more than battery drainage. Electrical fires ensued.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 052013

Liberty

In order of failures. Rear wiper would work constantly while vehicle in gear. Airbag light kept dinging. Gate glass wouldn't close. Gate wouldn't open unless glass button pushed on fob. Tried key in rear lock, radio turned on. With key not in ignition. Radio on, heater blower on, left side markers on. Could smell burning wires and smoke in Jeep, disconnected the battery.

- Forestville, NY, USA

Jan 032013

Liberty 6-cyl

Have recall on orc filter circuit and the new recall about the gas tank and I can not get Jeep to do anything about it. I called the first week in July, 2013 again Aug, 2013 and keep getting run-A-round.

- Richburg, SC, USA

Aug 302013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the interior ceiling ignited into flames while the front driver's side seat was occupied. The driver's side of the roof completely melted and the passenger's seat occupant sustained burns to both arms and the fingers. The fire department extinguished the fire and informed the contact that the failure was contributed to a faulty electrical short circuit. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 9/19/13

- Annapolis , MD, USA

Jan 012012

Liberty

The headlights turn off for up to 2 seconds while I am driving. The pattern seems to occur at all different speeds and may or may not be associated with using the turning signals or the act of turning. I tried replacing the headlight relay, and that did not fix the problem. It seems to be getting worse, and I worry that it will get so bad I will not be able to drive at night. I currently suspect a problem with the multifunction switch or simply a loose wire somewhere. On one occasion, my interior lights turned on while I was driving on the expressway at night and not touching the multifunction stalk at all-not sure if that is related, and again, it only happened once. This is a safety hazard and a hassle. I'm constantly worried that I will be pulled over for flashing my headlights or that I'll be driving blind when an animal runs out in front of me.

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA

Jul 172013

Liberty 6-cyl

While vehicle's headlights and driving lights are on a clicking sound is heard and the lights flash on and off. It sometimes occurs multiple times. This has been an ongoing issue and while researching have found many others with similar problem.

- Cockeysville, MD, USA

Mar 022013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated while approximately 40 mph, the horn independently sounded with the illumination of the entire instrument panel. In addition, when the vehicle was in operation the headlights would remain illuminated continuously even though the control mechanism was deactivated. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V527000 (air bags), however the part remained unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and they informed that the defects were related to the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000. Updated 07/30/13

- Warren, MI, USA

Mar 312012

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag light comes on randomly. I am aware of an investigation that is underway concerning random airbag deployment after a the light illuminates. I felt I needed to report this.

- Clearfield, UT, USA

Jan 062013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while parking, burning fumes emitted into the vehicle and smoke came from underneath the hood. The contact mentioned that the check engine lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the vehicle was experiencing electrical problems which caused the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 140,000.

- New Orleans , LA, USA

Oct 102012

Liberty

I began having problems with the electrical system in August. Headlights flicker on and off at will, as well as interior lights. Passenger side headlamp won't come on at all now and interior lights continue to flicker. While pulling into my driveway, passenger side front tire completely separated from the vehicle, leaving me speechless. We have been the only owners of this vehicle and weren't notified of any recalls. Hoping we can get this repaired soon......

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Dec 042012

Liberty 6-cyl

My 2002 Jeep Liberty was bought brand new from the dealer. About two months ago I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden the dashboard turned off and then turned back on, then my car started shaking like it was about to stall, and the engine light started to blink. I got scared because I didn't want my engine to stall and break down in the middle of the highway since it can be very dangerous, so I got off the highway and parked it in a lot over night so that I could take it straight to the dealer the next day. I took it to the dealer very carefully, my car started over heating when it was sitting in place/ traffic for more than one minute, and then it would cool back down when it was moving. Finally at the dealer they changed the water pump, thermostat, and one of the coils. The dealership said the problem was fixed and sent me off. Within that week my car started acting up again, the engine light began to flash again and I noticed my car was still being jumpy. I took it back and it turns out it had blown head gaskets, not only that but the heads were not even repairable. I need a complete new engine. I looked online and have found that it is very common for Jeep Liberty's to have a major engine problem. There is obviously something wrong with the way Jeep builds their engines. There needs to be a recall, it is a defect in the Liberty's. there have been multiple complaints of Jeep engines breaking down with no signs. Also as a side note, the seat belt on the drivers side doesn't really click and sometimes un buckles on its own. There is also an electrical problem, the inside lights turn off and on all the time by themselves.

- Key Biscayne, FL, USA

Nov 062012

Liberty

Speedometer, cruise control, brake warning lamp and ABS light on, mileage counter not working, check engine light on as well, car dies or stall when slowing down even on hwy or when turning. We have replaced almost everything we can think of. Look online and hundred if not thousands of owners have exact same problems and no solution to problem. How are you supposed to have vehicle inspected if the emergency brake lights wont go off? we have replaced front and back brakes, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, speed sensors front driver and passenger and rear one. Fuel pump fuel filter have now been replaced. We have replaced more but I know we have spent well over 2 grand and nothing please help we are not the only ones having this issue.

- Cisco, TX, USA

Oct 052012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

0800 am owner drove vehicle approx 6 miles with heater on, returning home and parking vehicle in the driveway and turning off engine. Owner exited the vehicle and entered the residence. Driver noted a smell of burning oil during use of the 6 mile trip. Approx 15 minutes later a neighbor alerted owner that vehicle was fully engulfed in flames. Fire department point of origin inspection states fire was in interior under dash panel firewall.

- Kimbolton, OH, USA

Mar 012012

Liberty 6-cyl

While driving my 2002 Jeep Liberty, the high beam lights click on and off automatically for a few seconds. This has happened a few times on different dates. Now recently I was going around a corner and my interior lights came on, then shut off. Also (may be unrelated) when I turn the volume up or down on the radio the power to the radio/cd unit shuts off then comes back on.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jul 042012

Liberty

When I went to turn my car on yesterday it would turn but would not turn the car on. The battery was replaced and still it would not turn on. An investigation into the ignition switch discovered a sing broke part before the tumbler. In order to repair this, the entire steering collumn needs to be replaced. Two Jeep shops told me this is a common problem, but I haven't seen a recall. A google search brings up hundreds of unsatisfied owners. It could be in the thousands.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 202012

Liberty

Key would not turn in steering column. Left me stranded with no way to call for help or get the vehicle to move. I've read many posts in online forums of people having this same problem. There has been no factory recall from Jeep, despite this identical problem persisting for years. Here is just one example: www.topix.com/forum/autos/Jeep-Liberty/T4edn8hgld2H8123L please help!

- Dover, NH, USA

Jun 012010

Liberty

ABS light comes on & off intermittently. No deployment & car has never been in a crash. This has been going on for about two years. Time for a recall based on all of the complaints listed here.

- Garden City, NY, USA

Mar 162012

Liberty 6-cyl

On 3-16-12, speedometer, headlights, power locks stop functioning. The car turn off on its own. Airbag signal come on and off. Checked all fuses and there is no problem there. Connected it to an obdii reader and nothing if found.

- Christiansted, VI, USA

Nov 302011

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag light is coming on randomly. No pattern of any kind.

- Sugar Hill, GA, USA

Jan 262012

Liberty 6-cyl

After lots of tries and no help from Jeep, I am trying to find help with a problem with an speed sensor that is not working properly. Apparently there is a problem with the routing of these wires causing them to rub, short out and it causes the sensor to quit, and anything options running off this sensor (example tranny shift points causing the torque converter to not unlock and causing stalling of vehicle).

- Pgh, PA, USA