1.1

2002 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 042013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that when accelerating, the vehicle jerked forward as the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the CO2 filter needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 211,000.

- Robinsonville, MS, USA

Sep 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle but the problem occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that there was an electrical shortage on the rear hatch module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,986. Updated 11/24/14

- Williamsburg, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the check engine light remained illuminated. The oxygen sensor was replaced several times however the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Aug 162012

Liberty

The engine is blown because the valve issue that Chrysler is very well aware of. Regular maintenance and proper oil changes took place. The engine they put in this vehicle is known for this issue. The valve breaks off and destroys the engine. Thanks guys. Way to own up and fix your mistakes.

- Cleveland , OH, USA

Jun 202013

Liberty

This was my primary (and only) transportation and the Jeep ran as normal on 06/19/2014, no problems or noises. I cranked it up on the morning of 06/20/2013 and the motor was knocking like crazy. I took it to an independent repair shop and let them listen to the noise. I was advised that 1st, the noise sounded like the rocker arm or beads and this is not the first Jeep Liberty they have seen with this problem and 2nd it was not safe for me to be driving the Jeep with this problem as the engine could possibly fail causing a crash and 3rd I will have to buy a new motor for this vehicle which is around $2,000 and up for a rebuilt engine or $6,000 and up for a new one. I was still making payments on this vehicle and didn't have this type of $$ just lying around so it has been sitting in my driveway for over a year. From my research online, there are numerous consumers who have had this same engine problem yet Chrysler has not been made to recall there engine for defective parts. On behalf of Jeep Liberty owners that have had to face this huge problem, I am requesting that this issue be researched as soon as possible!!!! Jeep are not bottom line vehicles as most people know. I personally paid $30,000 for this vehicle and am furious at the lack of response or sense of urgency by Chrysler to resolve this and all the other issues with their vehicles. If you are going to charge for vehicles like they are 5 star vehicles, then you need to sell a 5 star product or give 5 star respectable service and correct your defects.

- Sandy Ridge, NC, USA

Feb 042014

Liberty

I was driving to unlock my other vehicle because my husband locked the keys in the car. I had my two young boys, 2 and 3 years old with me. I was on an interstate when all of a sudden, the wheel locks up and I see smoke coming from the hood. Blew the engine!!!! I was stuck on the side of the road, no cell phone, the night before a terrible ice storm that was headed my way. Very scary situation. I couldn't believe it was happening to me. Now it is going to cost me over $5000 to fix it, I think not. I don't have that kind of money sitting around. I have two little ones in diapers and another in college. So disappointed in the manufacturer for not warning the public. And to boot, I only paid it off last summer. $18,000 down the tube. It was my first vehicle I ever paid off. So very disappointed.

- West Reading, PA, USA

Jul 122014

Liberty

We bought the vehicle used and they said that there was a problem with the engine, but they did not give us a warrenty or any other discount. Now we have had the vehicle for six months and it needs a new bottom end of the engine put in which costs more than the vehicle is worth but we do not have a choice, we have to put one in. I have always bought Jeep's in the past and was very satisfied with their performance, but now I re-thinking my loyalty. I have always wanted a Jeep Liberty but now I wish I had never bough it.

- Middlesboro , KY, USA

May 182014

Liberty

Valve is either dropped or has broken randomly. I have been told that it is not worth fixing, because it would cost way too much money. Also I have done research and found that is a very common problem with the 2002 Jeep Liberty. I want to know why Jeep has yet to address this problem.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

May 282014

Liberty 6-cyl

Drove a short distance aprox 1/2 mile to store. When I came out car would crank but did not start. I left car idle for 1 hr and then it would start. This condition has happened a few time in the previous year.

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

May 312012

Liberty

Driving through a school zone one morning and the car suddenly lost power steering and shut off, would not start again. Towed it back to house and read check engine code about crankshaft position sensor. It melted in place because of where it is in relation to the exhaust, took 4-5 months to fully dig out the melted sensor and replace. Had to put a heat shield over it myself and has since lasted 2+ years without trouble. Very poor design and a hassle to fix.

- Little Egg Harbor Twp, NJ, USA

May 212014

Liberty 6-cyl

Key gets stuck in the ignition system from time to time the keys are left in the ignition steering wheel gets locked unable to retrieve key. Electrical stability control defect since buying it in 2003, numerous suspension problems since 2003, spend thousands of dollars fixing defects.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Apr 272013

Liberty 6-cyl

My car experienced a sporadic rough idle over a 2 week period. One day the check engine light when on after starting the car. After reading the codes cylinder 2 was determined to be the issue. A shop replaced the ignition coil and all seemed well. The next day after driving the car all day with no issue, I restarted the Jeep after a 10 minute break and it would not start. When it finally started it sounded like half the cylinders were not firing and had a slapping sound. Towed it to dealership and was told cylinder 2 had no compression and it needed a new cylinder head. Both sides would cost $3,500. Parts were ordered and 10 days later they called me and said there were other problems and the cylinder head was not the issue. Piston seemed bent and it needed a long engine block and a water pump. This would cost $7,000. Not worth the fix. It seems cylinder 2 is an issue in many Liberty's of this year.

- Middle Village, NY, USA

Jul 232013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

• 1,600,000 miles
I just recently bought a car on June 13, 2013 for $5,404.05 from seattle auto mart, 12801 Aurora ave. N., seattle, wa 98133. I bought the car "as is" with no warranty. It was the first car I have ever purchased in my life. I was given a 60 day verbal agreement that if anything broke down, they would fix. It. my loan was through united finance company, P.O. Box 862, auburn, wa 98071. A vehicle inspection was done on the car my the dealership. After I purchased the car, I left for California because my dad was very sick. I was gone for about two weeks. When I came back from California, the second day I got back, I drove it a few blocks from my house, and the car stopped on me at a stop sign! it started smoking from the back and from under the hood and it wouldn't start. I had it towed for the night. I then called seattle auto mart, where I got the car from and they had their people to come and pick it up. I told them what happened and that I just wanted it fixed. Then they called to tell me that the problem with the car was that the engine blew and that I would have to come out the pocket to help pay for the repairs or they could get used parts and I would pay nothing. I told them to go ahead and fix the car with the used parts (even though I should have gotten new parts). I didn't make a payment until the car was fixed. Then so I decided to cut my losses since they were not willing to help me and I gave the car back. A month later, I received a recall notice in the mail from the Chrysler group llc stating that the vehicle has a small fuel leak and could result in a fire. On Saturday April 5, 2014 I received another recall notice ! overall something should be done! I want a new car or to be compensated for the hardship I went through only having the car for less than 30 days! the dealership, seattle auto mart should not have sold me that car!

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 012006

Liberty

For many years now, a couple of times a year I will be driving along at different speeds, sometimes uphill, sometimes downhill, and the engine will turn off. I would pull over and stop. Turn the car off and then it would restart. It would always restart. Recently, it happened when driving and I just turned the ignition off and back on again while I was still in motion and the car started right up. It didn't like doing this because the wheel will lock. I read of the Chevy problem and thought this might be similar.

- Sandia Park, NM, USA

Feb 162014

Liberty

I owned the Jeep for about 6 months. It ran great, no problems then out of no where it wouldn't start. Sounded like the battery was dead and just not turning over and had it looked at about two days later. He told me that the second cylinder had no compression therefore the engine was blown. Personally I love Jeep and wouldn't want anything else but after hearing this, and having it be a known issue for this year make and model I would have chosen a little wiser. I read about several 2002 Jeep liberties with the same issue which led me to this site.

- Rochester , NY, USA

Apr 172013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact was driving 45 mph when the vehicle emitted an overpowering gasoline odor. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but a diagnosis was not determined. The contact also stated that the engine failed due to a blown piston. The contact independently diagnosed the vehicle and noticed that some fuses were blown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Portsmouth , OH, USA

Dec 222013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

This is my wife's 2002 Jeep Liberty. We maintain it regularly, oil change every 3000. Didn't have any problems whatsoever until bam ! she loved her Jeep dearly. Wouldn't had taken anything for it. Going to church, 6 miles from the house. When she got there she stated " my Jeep is making a funny noise". after church service she cranked it for me. I told her to shut it down. Checked oil, " where did it go ". had to put in 3 quarts just to get it home. Sounds like a thrashing machine. Bad knock. I could except it if the Jeep had been roughed or fast driven but the Jeep is only driven to her work and church where the speed limit is 55 mph tops. I'm retired and she's ready to and we can't afford to put a lot of money into a new engine. Heard Jeep had a lot of problems with this engine. Especially the 2002-2003 model. Does anyone know if anything can be done about this.

- Greenville, KY, USA

Jan 182013

Liberty

Rear axle seals leaking replaced seals, bearings, and brakes on both sides. Engine started using excessive oil, sometime up to 2-3 quarts low, no smoke or leaks detected. All the power windows started malfunctioning one by one, would not go back up, still working issue. Rear wiper does not work. Had to replace rear brake light units twice due to shorts in wiring. Replace plastic radiator and electric cooling fan.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 252013

Liberty

2002 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to engine light came back on after consumer was informed that repair work had been completed. The dealer informed the consumer, the engine light illuminating again, was due to another problem.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Sep 142013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty sport. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact had the vehicle towed to his residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Auburn, GA, USA