1.2

2002 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 052016

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact heard an abnormal noise associated with the 3.7 liter engine. The contact noticed there was a strong hesitation without warning and the vehicle later stalled more than once. The vehicle was parked at the contact's residence due to the failure. The contact indicated that the number two cylinder may fail and cause the valves to drop onto the pistons, which could cause the motor and cylinder head to fail. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and suggested that the dealer perform diagnostic testing. The approximate failure mileage was 147,000.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Feb 122016

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the speedometer failed to read the vehicle proper speed as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the ABS sensor wires were fractured and rubbing against the emergency brake cable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,000. The VIN was not available.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 192013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated the vehicle had a burning odor near the engine. The contact received a recall notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V046000 (air bags) and 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) however the parts to do the repairs were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 232015

Liberty

The contact owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle caught on fire near the engine. The vehicle was destroyed. No further details were available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 163,000.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Oct 262015

Liberty

Was driving down the highway and quit. Had towed to shop and they said the engine was shot.

- Cayuta, NY, USA

Mar 122014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My Jeep currently has 42,000 miles as of Nov 1, 2015. It is 14 years old. However, the 3.7 L engine has a history (1 in 200 as best I can tell from the internet) of somehow coagulating oil into sludge around the 50,000 mile mark. This Jeep is part of the trailer hitch and airbag recall, but as you know dealerships never got parts to update. However, it also seems the engine was designed to fail on these models. Mechanics that work on these engines just shake their heads and tell you Chrysler updated the engine to fix this but that doesn't help anybody who has an originally designed engine. Again, these engines were designed to sludge. It usually starts with rocker arms cracking/breaking and even after replacement and cleansing the oil sludges up again. Of course, Chrysler dealerships act like every occurrence of this is isolated, but third party mechanics know better. Mine has two Jeep right now that are sludged. Basically the social safety concern is that your engine can break when you're driving. And also that Chrysler sold batches of these engines that they knew were defective, if not at the original design then soon after; when they decided they had to change the original design. I'm only being affected by it now because I have so few miles on my Jeep.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jul 122014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started, a fuel odor emitted from the vehicle. In addition, the contact mentioned that after the vehicle was parked, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact also mentioned that after turning the ignition key to the on position, the vehicle failed to start without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags), 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure), and 15V046000 (air bags) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Cottage Hills, IL, USA

Aug 122015

Liberty

The contact owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact heard a noise emerging from the bottom driver side of the vehicle. The vehicle also started to hesitate and all the warning indicators illuminated. The contact slowed down to approximately 10 mph into a parking lot. The contact parked and exited the vehicle. She was alerted that the vehicle was on fire. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 12/29/15

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jul 232015

Liberty

On July 23, 2015, while driving on the interstate highway, at approximately 55 miles/hour, the odometer, speedometer and cruise control simultaneously stopped working for no apparently known reason. When arriving at my destination in another state, (approx. 60 miles), I researched the internet for potential problems. A number of other 2002 Jeep Liberty owners had experienced similar problems. Additionally, several owners had experienced engine stalling when braking at a stoplight or intersection. On July 28, 2015, when traveling on an interstate highway, I pulled off to the safety lane to take a telephone call. While I was slowly pushing on the brake pedal to move safely to curb lane, the engine stopped working, as did my steering. Quick thinking - having read prior owners' comments - told me to put the car in neutral and turn the ignition key on. That worked! I got the car safely to the side lane. I am in the process of getting problems corrected; however, other owners have stated that the problem of stalling persists.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jun 182015

Liberty

I was pulling out of my driveway and the car just shut completely off and I was stuck in the middle of the road. About 10 mins later, it started back up again and drove normally. This is not safe at all and if I was driving on the road, I could have died. I'm scared to drive this car now and I can't afford to go to a mechanic and pay thousands of dollars. From looking online, this is a recurring problem with this car. There should be a recall on this issue. Someone can really lose their life over this.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jan 032015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure was experienced after the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags). The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 143,000.

- Paragould, AR, USA

Apr 292011

Liberty

2002 Jeep Liberty - engine - cylinder misfires, overheating causing coolant to overflow, coolant got in cylinder?, new engine required - quoted $5,500 plus $120 per hour labor from Jeep dealer.

- Addison, IL, USA

Nov 042013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that when accelerating, the vehicle jerked forward as the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the CO2 filter needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 211,000.

- Robinsonville, MS, USA

Sep 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle but the problem occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that there was an electrical shortage on the rear hatch module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,986. Updated 11/24/14

- Williamsburg, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the check engine light remained illuminated. The oxygen sensor was replaced several times however the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Aug 162012

Liberty

The engine is blown because the valve issue that Chrysler is very well aware of. Regular maintenance and proper oil changes took place. The engine they put in this vehicle is known for this issue. The valve breaks off and destroys the engine. Thanks guys. Way to own up and fix your mistakes.

- Cleveland , OH, USA

Jun 202013

Liberty

This was my primary (and only) transportation and the Jeep ran as normal on 06/19/2014, no problems or noises. I cranked it up on the morning of 06/20/2013 and the motor was knocking like crazy. I took it to an independent repair shop and let them listen to the noise. I was advised that 1st, the noise sounded like the rocker arm or beads and this is not the first Jeep Liberty they have seen with this problem and 2nd it was not safe for me to be driving the Jeep with this problem as the engine could possibly fail causing a crash and 3rd I will have to buy a new motor for this vehicle which is around $2,000 and up for a rebuilt engine or $6,000 and up for a new one. I was still making payments on this vehicle and didn't have this type of $$ just lying around so it has been sitting in my driveway for over a year. From my research online, there are numerous consumers who have had this same engine problem yet Chrysler has not been made to recall there engine for defective parts. On behalf of Jeep Liberty owners that have had to face this huge problem, I am requesting that this issue be researched as soon as possible!!!! Jeep are not bottom line vehicles as most people know. I personally paid $30,000 for this vehicle and am furious at the lack of response or sense of urgency by Chrysler to resolve this and all the other issues with their vehicles. If you are going to charge for vehicles like they are 5 star vehicles, then you need to sell a 5 star product or give 5 star respectable service and correct your defects.

- Sandy Ridge, NC, USA

Feb 042014

Liberty 6-cyl

I was driving to unlock my other vehicle because my husband locked the keys in the car. I had my two young boys, 2 and 3 years old with me. I was on an interstate when all of a sudden, the wheel locks up and I see smoke coming from the hood. Blew the engine!!!! I was stuck on the side of the road, no cell phone, the night before a terrible ice storm that was headed my way. Very scary situation. I couldn't believe it was happening to me. Now it is going to cost me over $5000 to fix it, I think not. I don't have that kind of money sitting around. I have two little ones in diapers and another in college. So disappointed in the manufacturer for not warning the public. And to boot, I only paid it off last summer. $18,000 down the tube. It was my first vehicle I ever paid off. So very disappointed.

- West Reading, PA, USA

Jul 122014

Liberty

We bought the vehicle used and they said that there was a problem with the engine, but they did not give us a warranty or any other discount. Now we have had the vehicle for six months and it needs a new bottom end of the engine put in which costs more than the vehicle is worth but we do not have a choice, we have to put one in. I have always bought Jeep's in the past and was very satisfied with their performance, but now I re-thinking my loyalty. I have always wanted a Jeep Liberty but now I wish I had never bough it.

- Middlesboro , KY, USA

May 182014

Liberty

Valve is either dropped or has broken randomly. I have been told that it is not worth fixing, because it would cost way too much money. Also I have done research and found that is a very common problem with the 2002 Jeep Liberty. I want to know why Jeep has yet to address this problem.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA