1.2

hardy worth mentioning

2002 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 182013

Liberty

Rear axle seals leaking replaced seals, bearings, and brakes on both sides. Engine started using excessive oil, sometime up to 2-3 quarts low, no smoke or leaks detected. All the power windows started malfunctioning one by one, would not go back up, still working issue. Rear wiper does not work. Had to replace rear brake light units twice due to shorts in wiring. Replace plastic radiator and electric cooling fan.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 252013

Liberty

2002 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to engine light came back on after consumer was informed that repair work had been completed. The dealer informed the consumer, the engine light illuminating again, was due to another problem.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Sep 142013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty sport. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact had the vehicle towed to his residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Auburn, GA, USA

Aug 242013

• 1,285,000 miles

Had recently checked the oil, and everything was great. Just got back from a long trip with no problems. Then 3 weeks later with no warning, I was driving down the road at about 40 mph and the engine started making a bad sound. (which it had never done) no warning light on the dash, nothing. Pulled over checked the oil again and it registered a little low which was also unusual. Put a quart of oil in it and headed the 7 miles home, but by the time I got home the engine sounded horrible, I drove very careful and watched the gauges and for any warning lights including the check engine light or oil light to come on but nothing happened. It just sounds like crap. I had a mechanic friend come to my house to look at it and he said that it looks like it will be a new engine. What the heck, this seems to be a common problem. Why is Jeep or Chrysler doing nothing about it. The engine has extremely low miles, should be good for longer than this.

- Payson, UT, USA

Apr 012013

Liberty

2002 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to engine failure. The consumer experienced a misfire while driving. The check engine light started flashing, so she immediately had the vehicle diagnosed with a diagnostic code reader at a local parts store. The code fired was misfire cylinder 2. the spark plugs and coil were replaced. However, the vehicle was still misfiring the same cylinder. The head was then taken off the engine to further inspect what was happening in the cylinder to case it to misfire. The mechanic discovered the exhaust valve was drawn into the cylinder and combusted. The combustion caused the piston to melt down to the first ring.

- Torrington, CT, USA

Jul 042013

Liberty 6-cyl

Out of no where engine light comes on check oil no oil in car took it to mechanic said engine is blown and that it is a common incident with the Jeep Liberty engines that they always fail before 140000 mile now I have to pay 4000 to have a new engine put in it pissed.

- Ft Knox, KY, USA

Jun 222013

Liberty 6-cyl

Car just stalled after filling up in the gas station. Car has been well maintained and just underwent oil change and tuneup. Diagnosis of a reputable shop: Loss of compression in #4 cylinder, leaking headgasket. This has been a common problem with the 2002-2003 models as evidently shown in the Jeep forums and per repair shop/S. best solution is to buy a rebuilt engine to avoid recurrence of the same problem. Very costly to the consumers and a true testament to the Jeep brand.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jun 012013

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle overheated and made a loud banging noise with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Jun 162013

Liberty

My 2002 Jeep Liberty sport had to have the radiator replaced2 years ago (2011) due to sludge in the system, which was fine because it was already almost 10 years old. Recently (June 2013) I smelled coolant and by the time I got it to the mechanic, it had overheated just once, from the water pump not working. So the mechanic replaced the water pump, and after that it never worked the same. The engine was rough, didn't have a smooth idle, and the next day, the "check engine" light came on. I had a friend check it out on a weekend when the light stayed on and started flashing, and the engine felt/sounded even rougher. There were multiple error signals, later diagnosed by the mechanic that the head gasket was cracked/blown, there ware coolant fumes from the engine, and 3 of the cylinders were "warped". estimated repair cost: $2000-3000 and a week's worth of labor... providing they didn't find other damage when they got the engine out. Reading other reports make me disappointed with Chrysler and confident that I'm not going to have mine repaired nor buy a new Jeep (though I had previously loved! my Jeep).

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 102010

Liberty 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate at 55 mph in the right lane. I accelerated to pass the vehicle in front of me who was driving approximately 40 mph. When I accelerated, there was an extremely loud band that came from my car. I moved into the right lane and pulled over, off the road and stopped the car. The loud bang frightened and startled me for a moment and I could have lost control of the vehicle and crashed. Up until then, I had no problems. When I drove the car home, I drove slowly and carefully. The car kept stopping, as if someone turned the engine off. I took it to the Jeep dealer and was told I needed to replace the solenoid pack and fluid, had a broken clutch, and internal damage (transmission). After that incident, other issues started such as no hydraulic under front hood (have to hold hood up with one hand while using other). The first time it happened, the hood fell down on my head. The back hydraulics to keep the hatchback open sometimes work or not and my windshield wiper motor is broken. Mind you this all started with low mileage between 72,880 - 74,000. Now I am concerned about the latest recall for fuel tank explosion if hit in rear and the other recall about the air bags.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jun 032013

Liberty

While driving vehicle, engine started to drive rough. After driving for 5 minutes check engine light came. Took vehicle to mechanic and was told cylinder had zero compression. Was told would be cheaper to get remanufactured engine.

- Henniker , NH, USA

Jun 152013

Liberty

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty and had never heard of a recall on the engine! I did get a notice for the air bag issues months ago and have contacted the local dealer who maintains that the parts aren't available. Didn't some other autos have the same problem" have they been fixed? I don't want to have a wreck and the air bags not deploy and then I become a crispy critter. Nor do I want the air bags to deploy when I'm driving down the interstate doing between 60 - 70 miles per hour. Again, possible crash with burning to death. Someone somewhere needs to get Chrysler to work. Do they need a financial handout" guess I'm gonna have to trade this clunker in and get something other than a Jeep. Too bad cause I love my Jeep.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 102013

Liberty 6-cyl

Salvaged engine with reported on 36K miles on it was installed by dealer in May 2011 after first engine was lost. Put new tires, alignment on vehicle on Friday afternoon, drove home, Jeep sit parked until Monday morning. Monday morning started and engine made terrible noises and died just like first engine did. Refuse to spend any additional $$ on Liberty 3.7 liter engines. Obviously an issue. I own a 2006 with a 3.7, so hopefully will not happen with it.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

May 112011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Engine stopped with loud noises obvious something broken. Towed to dealer. Dealer indicated engine failure due to oil sludge issue. Dealership indicated that this was a common problem even on well maintained 2002 Liberty 3.7 engines. Not even 73,000 miles on the engine. Internet is full of stories similar.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Apr 102013

Liberty 6-cyl

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty ltd edition and there are numerous reports on the internet that there are issues with the #2 cylinder valve coming off which in turn beat the #2 piston. I drove my Jeep home from work and parked in the garage. About an hour later I started the Jeep to leave and low and behold the #2 cylinder blew and created major damage to the piston. There have also been reports of a sludge issue on the 3.7L engines. I have never received a recall notice but after speaking with a man that worked for Dodge he confirmed that they did a silent recall on these issues for the 3.7L engine. I spoke with Chrysler and they laughed at my issue saying it was considered wear and tear since my miles are at 138,000. I don't think this issue is very funny and it could have caused me to crash if I would have been driving when the cylinder blew. I have recently had to pay over $3000 to get my repairs done and Chrysler refuses to help with the issue. Had I of known about the engine issues and all of the recalls on my vehicle I would have never bought the Jeep. I am only asking for Chrysler to help with at least half of the repair bill if not all of it. This is a defect and if the engine was correct it would have never blown. This issue has caused me 6 weeks of trying to find a ride back and forth to work as well as two absent days at work. This was a manufacturers defect and they should be held responsible. I also received a recall notice on the air bag and have yet been able to get my Jeep in for that recall as the dealership has stated that they do not have the parts yet.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

Nov 282012

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated the vehicle made a loud knocking sound and then it stalled. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who determined there was a misfire coming from the pistons which caused the failure to occur. The contact was advised that the engine needed to be replaced. The failure and current mileage was 139,000.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Apr 152009

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the oil warning light illuminated intermittently on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The oil sensor was replaced and the failure continued to occur. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Mar 072013

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited an abnormally loud noise when driving at various speeds. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic and the contact was advised that the number two cylinder intake valve seat separated and fell into the pistons. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages was approximately 123,000.

- Kendall Air Force Base, FL, USA

Feb 032011

Liberty

After following all vehicle maintenance recommendations, engine has failed @ 73000 miles. Mechanic states engine sludge. I was told I will need to purchase a new engine. Have all service records, all oil changes were done on time as scheduled and now I have a car that does not run.

- Eaton, OH, USA

May 082012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic, who diagnosed that the engine was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there was no recall for the engine failure and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- East St Louis, IL, USA