2002 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 042012

Liberty 6-cyl

My 2002 Jeep Liberty was bought brand new from the dealer. About two months ago I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden the dashboard turned off and then turned back on, then my car started shaking like it was about to stall, and the engine light started to blink. I got scared because I didn't want my engine to stall and break down in the middle of the highway since it can be very dangerous, so I got off the highway and parked it in a lot over night so that I could take it straight to the dealer the next day. I took it to the dealer very carefully, my car started over heating when it was sitting in place/ traffic for more than one minute, and then it would cool back down when it was moving. Finally at the dealer they changed the water pump, thermostat, and one of the coils. The dealership said the problem was fixed and sent me off. Within that week my car started acting up again, the engine light began to flash again and I noticed my car was still being jumpy. I took it back and it turns out it had blown head gaskets, not only that but the heads were not even repairable. I need a complete new engine. I looked online and have found that it is very common for Jeep Liberty's to have a major engine problem. There is obviously something wrong with the way Jeep builds their engines. There needs to be a recall, it is a defect in the Liberty's. there have been multiple complaints of Jeep engines breaking down with no signs. Also as a side note, the seat belt on the drivers side doesn't really click and sometimes un buckles on its own. There is also an electrical problem, the inside lights turn off and on all the time by themselves.

- Key Biscayne, FL, USA

Jun 032012

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated while driving 45 mph the vehicle hydroplaned and crashed into a telephone pole. The air bags did not deploy and the seat belt did not restrain. The contact sustained a fractured nose and several bruises, as well as contusions. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was not known. The VIN was not available.

- Guntersville, AL, USA

Dec 102011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the driver side seat belt assembly failed and she was unable to lock the buckle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that a spring in the seat buckle had failed and the seat belt assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 105,000. Updated 01/04/12 the consumer stated she has another Jeep that had the same problem. Updated 01/12/12

- Elkhorn, NE, USA

Nov 032011

Liberty 6-cyl

August 08, bought my 02 Liberty. Took about 1.5 years to drive it because of an accident - that's why I bought the Liberty. About 1 year later the idle air control valve went out, had to replace it. There's been other, minor things, like when accelerating, feels like someone bumped into me. Sometimes are worse than others. Often feel a "vibration." Within months of being 1 year of replacing the iav, began to get extremely bad gas mileage - about 187M to a tank. Not sure why. Replaced the spark plugs, did a lof, inspection, etc.. almost exactly 1 year from replacing the iav, check engine light came on. Was on for 1-1.5 days. I decided not use it until I could get it to the mechanic. Next morning, was going to the store & the light was off! but when I pulled into a parking space, it died. This sort of things happened before, db cluster being "faulty." Other things [vacuum seal leak, etc] never prompted the lights on. Had to replace the iav again & it ran fine. Recently, been getting that "kicking" feeling & like my car is running "rough". today, I noticed the airbag light was stuck on. Checked the manual, it said to have the airbag system checked. I was nervous about driving - had an odd feeling the airbag would deploy - moved my seat back just in case. Since the accident, I get anxiety over these things. Luckily, no deployment. Got it home, turned it off, waited, turned it on, waited a few seconds and the light turned off this time. Went straight to my computer only to find these recalls and investigations - one being the steering - last week had a nerve-wracking experience, my car began to swerve turning left onto the freeway, it was raining, so, I slowly merged. Wasn't until it straightened out that it began to swerve, almost like losing control, didn't feel like a "slip." But I just assumed it was. Also, the seat belts don't seem to stay click in at times.

- Tenino, WA, USA

Jan 012010

My 2002 Jeep Liberty front seatbelt latches are inoperative. They get stuck in the "down" position and have to be pried up in order to latch the seat belt securely. I would like to know if Jeep/Chrysler has issued a recall or offered to repair the latches that go bad.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012009

Driver seatbelt malfunction. Seat belt button stuck in and unable to latch belt. 2002 Jeep Liberty. This happened in approx. 2009.

- Addison, IL, USA

Jan 062009

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the driver side seatbelt latch became stuck and hard to unlock. The failure occurred on an intermittent basis since 2009. The contact stated that the seatbelt now completely failed and would latch at all. The vehicle had not been inspected by a dealer nor had the vehicle been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Dec 112010

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Jeep Liberty front seat belt will not lock sometimes.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 262010

In 2002 Jeep Liberty collision at intersection other vehicle pulled in front of us. Driver of Jeep with seat belt on cracked windshield, I, as the passenger, my forehead hit the dash. Going at appx. 30 mph.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Apr 022010

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The seat belt buckle on my 2002 Jeep Liberty started getting stuck in the unlatch position about three months ago which means I have to dig it out in order to belt myself in, and it doesn't always work. Due to my unemployment, we tried taking a belt from the back seat and using it in front but now my air bag light won't go off. This seems very unsafe to me.

- Albany, OR, USA

May 272010

Update to ODI 10135119, previous issue was drivers front seat belt. Current issue is front passenger seatbelt. It is not working. The female end is stuck in the in position and will not release.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Feb 272010

Liberty 6-cyl

Jeep Liberty 2002 seat belt release button stay in, does not ways click. Then the seat belt will not work at all. I when just got one from the junk yard with the same problem.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 212009

Have a hard time releasing the front seat belts and when they do release, the release button stays pushed down. There have been a couple of times my husband had to push to release my seat belt, as I could not get it to release. Thank goodness he was there or I would have been stuck in the car.

- Solon, OH, USA

Aug 252009

2002 Jeep Liberty has had two failures of seat belt latches. Passenger seat latch was replaced at 80,000 miles and drivers seat now need replacement at 96,000 miles. Both latches failed in the stuck down position.

- Scarborough, ME, USA

May 042009

Jeep Liberty 2002 front driver seat belt doesn't unlatch.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 192007

Drivers seat belt buckle (female end) release remains retracted after release of the male end. The button either must be pried back up to latch the seat belt, or, after numerous tries.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Dec 152008

Same as EA05022. 2002 Jeep Liberty sport passenger seat belt latch has a broken spring. Purchased Oct 21, 2001.

- Durham, NC, USA

May 252002

2002 Jeep Liberty limited. I have replaced the engine, rebuilt the 4 -wheel drive shaft, replaced the A/C condenser and coil, and now the radio, dome lights, power locks are broken. The blower motor resistor has been replaced but now the blower motor is broken. What a lemon from day one. Latches on hatch not working correctly, mold smell from A/C. it is something all the time with this vehicle.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Jul 052005

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Jeep Liberty pulls to right, will stop dead in its tracks while in drive, hard to control, thumping noise, metal to metal grinding from front end, seat belts do not work properly, hard to start, front seat covers rippled, paint peeled on hood, tailgate, breaks only work some of the time, shakes and hard to control on speed above 35 mph, all interior weather stripping came off. Same complaints from 1/7/03 ball joints replaced on recall on 1/10/03 still had pulling to right problems, shaking, . weather stripping all fell off on interior of car, acts like wheels are binding. 3/4/03 same complaints pulling to right, stops dead in its track, hard to control, wheels bind, dealer could not duplicate complaints (did not write up work order) 3/27/03 dealer installed interior weather stripping, same complaints as 1/10/03,3/4/03. Again on 6/2/03 took Jeep Liberty to dealer took a test drive could not verify complaints. Did not write up a work order. 1/16/04 Jeep Liberty hard to start, pulls to right, Jeep shakes & vibrates hard to control, seat belts do not work, seat rippling, car stops dead it its tracks, dealer fixed lower ball joints again on 2/13/04 at 23,850 miles. 2-13-04 picked up car from dealer still had same problems" dealer stated " this is how Jeep drive" they are nuts! 11-04 dealer took test drive was still having problems claimed everything okay. Did not right up a work order. 5/27/05 had massive problems brakes would go to the floor, sometime would work and other time not. Took to nearest brake place pads, okay, but wheel cylinder leaked. Claim it could be a intermittent failure of master cylinder, called dealer ship no part available. 7/5/05 took to dealer again with same problems, R they had not even looked at it. Removed Jeep and took to private auto placed, ut with intermittent problems you could replace most of the parts on the car & you may not cure the problems.

- Cape May Court House, NJ, USA

Oct 172004

Liberty 6-cyl

Driving 25 mph, the front lower ball joints failed causing the front end to drop onto the front wheels. The vehicle was towed. The passenger's side lower ball joint failed causing the front end to drop onto the passenenger's side front wheel. The seat belt did not retract.

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA