2002 Jeep Liberty steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Oct 042006

Liberty

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty for which I received a lower ball joint recall on October 4, 2006 from Chrysler. I talked to the dealer who indicated Chrysler is supplying them with very few parts to fix the problem. I have waited a month for the parts and based on the current pace will have to wait at least another month for the dealer to get enough parts to fix my car for this recall. It seems odd that Chrysler would issue a safety recall for a problem that they say "can result in a loss of steering control and could cause a crash without prior warning" and take over 2 months to make the parts available. Can anything be done to force them to speed up their production of the necessary parts for this recall?

- Franklin, TN, USA

Aug 162006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I reported a noise during operating my Jeep Liberty, ltd. 4 wd over bumps and turns. I purchased the vehicle with 5 miles on 8/13/2002. 3/21/2003 at 11638 miles, the service shop made a warranty claim - lubed the bushings. 4/28/2003 at 12932 miles, the service shop made another warranty claim -sleeve & strap was replaced. 2/9/2004, at 25045 miles, the service shop made yet another warranty claim -replaced the sway bar bushings & links. I also had lower ball joints replaced for a recall. 4/16/2004, service shop repositions the ft shield at ft suspension. The noise never went away. At the service shops advice, I needed to bring it in if the noise became worse. Yeah right! two other mechanics suggested steering/suspension related. On 4/09/2006, I had my car inspected by the dealership service once again for the worsen noise. The service team replaced the rear center ball joint at a cost of $276.17 and returned my vehicle. With my warranty running out, the service team has supposedly found more serious part changes, of course. On 6/15/2006, the service team replaced the lower ball joint due to wear and repaired a leak in my tire at the cost of $224.05. I also have noticed vehicle pulling to the right. In addition to having paid for services with my warranty still effective, I have further developed other serious car issues. I have a leak in my rear differential and my brake light & ABS lights are on. I had to stop at a service station to fill my tire from 10 psi! although the service department would like me to bring back my car, I do not believe they have the experience for a fourth visit. On my last trip to the dealership, I had requested that if there are any parts replaced to please save the old part. Upon my pick up of the vehicle, I did not receive these parts. I have purchased an extended warranty end of July for $1,600 just in case.

- Peekskill, NY, USA

Oct 102005

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Jeep always pulls to the right. Problem was supposed to be resolved with ball joint replacement procedure from a recall, but it still exists. Dealer performed a wheel alignment (which he suspected was needed), but problem still exists. Replaced original tires with only 20,000km (probably due to compensating for pulling to the right) - consider this a safety issue because you always have to compensate for the pull.

- Pierrefonds, 00, USA

Jan 252005

Liberty 6-cyl

While driving 55 mph steering wheel locked up causing a vehicle collision. Upon impact driver's side air bag did not deploy. Vehicle was towed. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Jan 222005

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I just purchased a 2002 Jeep Liberty with 30,200 miles still under manufacturer warranty on January 14, 2005. On January 22, 2005 I was pulling in a parking lot and my control arm broke. I found a open campaign on the vehicle id 03V460000. I believe that before a dealership can put a vehicle on their lot to sell they are suppose to check for open campaigns. Could someone please advise me on what should be done.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Sep 012004

Liberty 6-cyl

Consumer has had to replace shocks, drive shaft, brakes and all four tires since purchase. The tires were worn and the noisy were struts, a constant thumping sound was heard when the vehicle was in motion, creaking noise were coming from the front of the vehicle when going over bumps due to the front sway bar bushings, the regulator on the passenger door was noisy, the handle on the passenger door was loose, grinding noise on the front passenger side, the passenger front door's weather strip was coming off, loud noise coming from the rear differential bearings, excessive play in the front tie ends, water under the driver's side carpet, rattling in the speaker on the passenger side, when in 4th high and 4th low, the vehicle felt as if it were in neutral, the cigarette lighter was inoperative, the was a squeak in the steering wheel when turning, the engine idled loud, the vehicle would jump when shifting into gear, there was a delay when braking, the axle boot was leaking.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jan 292004

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

While my dealer was test driving my Jeep Liberty the dash went dead. This had not happened before. I did have a multi-function arm replaced last year because the dashboard lights were flickering and no problems since then. The truck has also pulled to the right since I bought it. The dealer performed multiple alignments at that time and it is still not fixed.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Oct 072003

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and on Oct. 7, 2003, I had an incident in which my steering wheel and tires locked up during a left turn causing me to turn in a full 360 facing the car that was behind me. This was on a Tuesday. On Friday, Oct. 10, 2003, I was making a right turn into a gas station and my car skidded causing me to lose brief control of my car again. I was able to straighten up the car and avoid another 360 and possible collision with gas pupms. Luckily, no one was hurt and there was not any property damage in either situation. At this point, I contacted the dealership (galeana) who told me it was my tires. I went to Goodyear and they said my tires were fine and I should go to the dealership. I called the delearship back and they told me to bring it in and they would check it over but they had not heard of this problem before. They were unable to find anything wrong with my car and I really did't feel like I received good customer service. My reason for submitting this now is because I have seen articles and my mother heard it on the news that there has been a recent recall on 2002 Jeep liberties that might explain what happened. I contacted the dealership tonight and asked them about a recall and they denied that there is one. I am also unable to find it on your sight although the article I read stated it as being released by you. I have been lucky that it has not happened again but I do not feel as safe in my car as I did before the incidents. Please contact me and let me know if there is a recall and if not, please document my complaint. The next person may not be as lucky. Thank you, emily lewis.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 052003

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle pulls to the right all the time. Returned it to the dealer 4 times, they aligned it but it still pulls to the right. I called customer service and was told to work with my local dealer. He claims there is no problem and it is aligned to specification. He claims the truck just follows the crown in the road. I tested the truck in a flat parking lot by driving between aligned parking spaces in both directions. It still pulled to the right. I don't doubt that it is aligned, I believe there is (are) other problems. I can't get a satisfactory response from the dealer or company.

- Old Forge, PA, USA

Aug 102002

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Brake failure 18K miles, front end jumping, shaking when going 50mph and over, car slides, fish tales excessively in wet weather, had 1 spin out no one hurt, tires bald 19K miles.

- Wood-Ridge, NJ, USA

Jan 012003

Liberty

I lost control of the vehicle two days after purchase in the rain while trying to make a right hand turn. The vehicle went straight through the intersection, up and over the curb and into someones front yard. Reported to the dealership. Two months later I had my second experience that also happened in the rain. I was trying to come to a stop at a stop sign and could not stop the car. At this time I took the car back to the dealership and they said there was nothing found. The service director at the time referred to it as operator error and thought that I would get used to the vehicle. Then seven months later on January 1, 2003, I lost control of the vehicle on the beltway trying to avoid something in the road. It was raining. I was going the speed limit (55 mph) and my car started to spin and ended up going southbound in the northbound lanes and finally crashed into a concrete dividing wall. The air bags did not deploy. I feel very fortunate to be alive and that no one else was hurt. The car was taken to the dealership and it is currently under investigation for possible defects. I feel that I am unable to drive this unsafe vehicle. I have also noticed that the vehicle has a tendency to pull to the right.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jun 012002

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Jeep Liberty limited pulls to the right while driving any speed, any road conditions.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Oct 052002

Liberty

Consumer states that while driving the consumer will loose control of the vehicle and was involved in an accident.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jun 302001

Liberty 4WD

Since date of purchase consumer has taken vehicle to dealership twice because vehicle pulls to the right while driving. Consumer feels the problem is steering related.

- Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA