3.4

2003 Jeep Liberty miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012006

Liberty

Window regulators keep on failing. I have had to replace the regulator in each window at least once, and 2 of them have been replaced more than once. I am about to replace my 7th regulator. 3 months ago the regulator failed on my driver's side - back seat door. It got itself hung in the door panel and couldn't open the door, so had to take it to the garage to get fixed. This is not the first complaint, nor the last so something should be done to resolve these issues. The regulator itself still worked, but the housing the chain stays in would break and cause the chain to come out the door panel, and knock the window off its track and damage the glass!

- Ashland, VA, USA

Oct 102016

Liberty

Vehicle has approximately 69,500 miles - while in motion on a city street during the evening, the rear passenger window fell into the door frame. Research indicates Jeep Liberty has defective window regulators which causes same to happen and no recall has been issued by Chrysler.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Aug 202016

Liberty

We cannot get any cooperation getting these recalls corrected!

- Hamilton, GA, USA

Jun 012014

Liberty

It appears my vehicle has multiple recalls. Ford has not contacted me for repairs.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 182016

Liberty

Rear swing gate doesn't open - whether using key fob or unlocking from front, glass window open but swing gate will click but not open up.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 112016

Liberty

Back passenger window pump went out around 80,000 miles- was not replaced because the price to fix was quoted for at least $600; back driver's side window pump went out at 105,000 miles - prices have seemed to come down for repairs and am looking to get it replaced but it seems soon to have to replace this

- Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 122015

Liberty

My 2003 Jeep Liberty has been shutting off while I am driving it. This problem has been on going for about 4 months now and I have taken it in to fix it multiple times. I almost got into a very bad crash recently because of the issue and as a 19 year old girl its a very scary issue to be dealing with. I have put in $400 for new sparkplugs which didnt even fix the problem as well as new tires and brakes. This little car problem is taken a toll on my whole life. I did some research and found I am not the only one yet still no answers. What happens while im driving usually if im braking and or turning my car will shut off the oil light will turn on for a second and beep and then if I want it to keep going I have to turn the key again and it will start but this is no longer okay and the problem should be known to Jeep owners or future buyers especially of my model. Please take my complaint in consideration and let me know if anyone has any answers. Thank you, monique gray

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 082015

Liberty

I have repaired my electric windows twice, driver side, rear passenger side and now front passenger side. This has cost me several hundred dollars for two regulators and now I can't fix the recent passenger window.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Sep 202015

Liberty

While driving at 35 mph, observed that ignition key was loose. Pulled on key and it came out of the ignition switch and car was still running normally.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 182015

Liberty

I believe I have 6 recalls on my Jeep Liberty. I have contacted a dealer closest to me asking for service on my vehicle 3 times in the past 7 months. I have yet to hear from them to get any of these recalls fixed. I want to know where I need to go and take my vehicle to get these recalls fixed. I have not had an accident yet but am holding my breath. Patricia willson

- Eureka Springs,, AR, USA

Aug 012015

Liberty

Received notice about R06, which is a recall fixing the original recall for this issue with the airbag and restraint system. I received this notice in February 2015, almost 6 months ago, and no remedy is available yet. I feel this is an excessive amount of time, and should've had a solution by now, or at the very least Jeep contacting me again, and saying "I know we have not resolved the outstanding recall, and we apologize however we are working on the situation". if this was done, at least I'd know there still trying to do something to resolve it, instead of getting the run around when calling the dealership.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Jul 222015

Liberty

Unable to complete recall, including M35 orc filter circut, N46 trailer hitch, and R06 orc module, due to "excessive corrosion", on 7/22/2015 at victory dealership in rome, N.Y. they suggested I bring my Jeep to a fabrication shop to repair, which I did today, 7/29/2015. Cny precision welding and custom fabrication, located in rome, N.Y., repaired the vehicle for $350, but they wondered why the hitch couldn't have been installed previously. I will bring the Jeep back to victory as soon as I can get another appointment. My complaint is that I am a single mom with no safe car to drive! why couldn't they fix the other recall issues" they don't even have the parts for the airbag issue yet. What is really upsetting is a quote I found from the New York times, "but under federal regulations, automakers undertaking a recall cannot opt to repair some of the affected vehicles and not others, said allan kam, who worked for the highway safety Agency from 1975 to 2000. They can't be selective and say, "if they are rusty, they don't get the remedy, " Mr. Kam said in a telephone interview, "if you can't repair it, you replace it or buy it back." Is any part of the previous quote true" I really need to get some clear direction from the Fiat Chrysler company before I borrow more money to fix an unfixable car. I can't afford this mess. I'm taking an emotional beating here. I don't even want my child in a car that can have an airbag go off at any time or aa gas tank explode! this is just terrifying.

- Rome, NY, USA

Sep 102014

Liberty

For three months I have been on a wait list to have recall N46 / NHTSA 13V-252 performed on my 2003 Jeep Liberty. Local service department has wait list of over 100 clients needing the recall units, yet is only receiving 6 or less per month. Went on line to purchase an alternative unit to have installed and submit claim. To my surprise a search of cbxtn461aa identified several Chrysler dealerships that were "selling" the recall parts on ebay while others did not have sufficient units for their clients. This is an unconscionable act of greed. These dealerships should face severe fines for there disregard to the safety of vehicle owners needing these recall parts. NHTSA needs to put financial punishment clauses into recall agreements to address this type of action. Each of the ebay listings indicate they have greater than 10 units available for purchase. Contact these and any others and have them cease immediately and reallocate their "for sale" units to other dealerships who's clients are waiting on service. The three dealerships on ebay that are selling cbxtn461aa are garden city Chrysler hemstead long island, bob boyd cjd lancaster Ohio, and elmwood Dodge East providence Rhode Island. Chrysler directors also need to step up and set an example of these dealerships and their deplorable act of disregard for client safety.

- West Milford, NJ, USA

Oct 252014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My airbag light was showing up intermitent, now will stay on permanent. I am afraid to drive it and have an accident.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Sep 172013

Liberty 6-cyl

I bought a used 2003 Jeep Liberty sport and after 1 month I had it at the shop where my mechanic discovered the problem as a safety recall from the factory, I was then referred to the local Dodge /Jeep dealership where my car was stated as "unsafe" to drive. I dropped the car off thinking I would have it back within 2 days maximum, after almost 1 week I called and requested a rental or loaner vehicle and was informed by the service technicians that they do not offer such service, as well as they have no idea when they will get the parts to fix my vehicle so they have my car and I have nothing to drive. I then contacted Chrysler llc myself and requested they provide a rental since mine was in for safety recalls. They at first refused stating that it is because I am the 3rd owner of the vehicle, once I argue the fact that it shouldn't matter since it is a safety issue not something I did, they should still be responsible they finally decide to supply a rental by end of the day (9/25/13). I went up to enterprise to wait for a car and while I was there waiting I get informed that Chrysler has changed their mind and this time due to the vehicle not being under warranty, again something that shouldn't matter as it is a safety recall. So at this point I am a single mom with 4 children and I have no vehicle to care for them and no time frame as to when I will have mine back. Is there any way I can get some assistance with this? I feel that since it is their vehicle and it is a factory recall they should be responsible for providing alternate transportation until the work on mine is completed.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Jan 312012

Liberty

My key will not turn in the ignition of the 2003 Jeep Liberty. The steering column was not locked and I tried for about 20 minutes to jiggle/turn the wheel, jiggle the automatic transmission shifter, etc. The key was inserted fully because electrical came on to alert me that the key was in the ignition (when I opened the driver door the warning beeps came on to signify key still in ignition). The ignition simply would not turn. I had to have my car towed to a mechanic and have since learned from online research that this is a very common problem with Jeep Liberty's and many Chrysler products. The solutions seem to be patchwork workarounds that people have come up with independent of Chrysler's help.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 012004

Liberty

I have replaced nine window regulators, affecting all four windows. The windows simply drop into the door frame, leaving passengers vulnerable and the Jeep unsecured.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 232003

Liberty

Consumer was inconvenienced when she dropped her vehicle off for repairs but the dealer had ran out of parts. (nar)

- Patterson, NY, USA

Dec 122003

Liberty

Service dept. Unable to duplicate the consumer's many complaints, therefore no repairs were performed. (nar)

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 192003

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

When changing a front tire on my 2003 Jeep Liberty limited, I discovered that the jack does not completely seat into the notch on the body weld seam. The edges of the notch are sloped. The width of the jack allows it to only go about half way into the notch. After jacking up my Liberty and beginning to change the tire, the jack slipped. No damage or injury resulted, but this could cause problems. The local Jeep dealer's solution was to grind out the notch. I don't know if this problem is limited to my Liberty or if the dealer reported this to Jeep.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA