2003 Jeep Liberty steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 192010

Liberty

For the past month or so, my steering wheel ignition locking mechanism has been nerve racking. I put the key in, but it doesn't even turn...almost like I am using the wrong key. If I jiggle a bit it will work...but last night nothing was working. Now - my steering column is locked, so I can't even attempt to spin the steering wheel while I try the key. It has been towed, which now will cost me an arm and a leg I am sure to fix. I have researched online and was surprised to see how many people are complaining about the same thing. We are all having the exact same problems. I have read things like broken shift interlock cable, broken ignition rod, etc... I am puzzled why this hasn't been brought to the surface and there is no recall. This is dangerous especially for those that have young children, like myself, incase I am stranded in the middle of nowhere. Who knows what lowlife would cross my path all because Jeep was aware of this problem and hasn't so much as even recognized the issue. I will never buy a Jeep again.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 182009

Liberty

My 2003 Jeep Liberty will not start. I replaced the key lock component 4 months ago. Now, my dealer is telling me that I need an entire steering column at the cost of $1000. I am not alone go to www.topix.com/forum/autos/Jeep-Liberty/T4edn8hgld2H8123L/P3 for a wealth of similar complaints. How can this not be a recall? the problem seems to exist to the newest of Jeep Liberty. The part is in on a 1-2 month back order. I am very stressed out over this. My VIN # is incorrect because it is at the dealer and I don't have access to it.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 262009

Liberty

This is a problem with my 2003 Jeep Liberty. Difficulty turning key in ignition. Steering wheel must be forced to turn to the right. Dealer says that the steering column must be replaced due to bearing seizure. Cost = $630. This is a dangerous situation and should cause a recall. Checking various forums, numerous people have had difficulty with ignition and steering column problems.

- Ruidoso, NM, USA

Jun 122009

Liberty

On Friday June 12th, 2009, my wife was driving our 2003 Jeep Liberty home. After stopping for a stop sign, she turned to the left and immediately the upper front ball joint gave way.(it was completely rusted on the inside) the Jeep has 42087 miles on it. Fortunately my wife was going very slow, otherwise there is no telling how severe an accident could have occurred. Chrysler/Jeep said that there has been no recalls on this particular model, yet I found a April 15, 2009 posting on the internet saying that there have been recalls for the upper control arm ball joints (recall N. J17) on models sold in the "salt belt states". we are in Pennsylvania. I've had the part replaced but would caution other Jeep Liberty owners about a potentially serious problem.

- Wrightsville, PA, USA

Apr 222009

Liberty

There wasn't an incident/failure in this case, however I am hoping to prevent one from occurring. Over 950 people have the same part (a power steering hose) on back order. If that many people have had to order this part, isn't it defective" meanwhile, well over 900 of us continue to drive a Jeep in which the steering can go out at any moment, causing how many potential injuries and deaths" I think this should be looked into-it is definitely a safety hazard.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Aug 152008

Liberty

2003 Jeep Liberty - lower ball joints replaced on recall notice now I have been advised that the upper ball joint needs replacing. I have read that this is a known problem but no recall has been implemented yet.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Making a right-hand turn from work parking lot the front right wheel control arm split in half causing the right wheel buckle. Control arm, knuckle suspension and ball joints were replaced. Contacted Chrysler at the time and told that there was no recall concerning those parts. My mechanic thought the part might have been faulty.

- Amherst, NY, USA

May 292007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contacts grandson heard a loud breaking noise and the steering immediately locked, causing him to lose control of the vehicle. The rear passenger side tire detached from the vehicle; however, he was able to avoid a crash and successfully stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a local garage. A police report was filed. A professional technician inspected the vehicle and noticed that the front and rear axles were corroded for a very long time, which caused them to fail. The insurance company stated that the vehicle was completely destroyed. The dealer did not provide any assistance. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign id number 06V288000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint), but the contact never received a recall notice. The manufacturer sent an investigator to inspect the vehicle and it was discovered that there was no correlation between the failure and the recall. The manufacturer is refusing to assume any liability for any of the damaged components caused by the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired and the contact has pictures of the failed component. The failure and current mileages were 61,000. Updated 05/06/08 the consumer had brusing on his shoulder. Updated 04/01/11

- Weston, WV, USA

Jun 082007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. In December of 2006, while driving 55 mph, the steering wheel began to shake uncontrollably. The contact was unable to immediately stop the vehicle. There was snow on the ground at the time of the failure. The mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. Most recently, while driving 35 mph, the steering wheel began to shake uncontrollably and the vehicle rolled over and crashed into a ditch. Three passengers were injured and the vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. On both occasions, the air bags failed to deploy. The contact informed the insurance company that there was something wrong with the steering wheel, however, they were unable to determine the cause of the crash. The vehicle was towed. The current mileage was 94,000 and failure mileage was 87,000.

- Adams , OK, USA

Oct 252006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

- the contact received recall 06V288000 on 10/25/06, for 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stook the vehicle to dayton Jeep, and was told that they didn't have parts available to make the repairs. The dealer did not give her an appointment at that time. The contactried on numerous occasions to get an appointment, and the dealership still refused to setup T an appointment. Also, the contact was having steering problems during all types of weather, especially under rainy conditions.

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Aug 012004

Liberty 6-cyl

Contact received a recall notice for the lower ball joint and had the repair work done. Seven months later the ball joint failed again while the vehicle owner's son was driving at 35 mile mph. The ball joint failed while driving over a bridge, and T vehicle was damaged. Vehicle had to be towed to the owners home, and then to the dealership for repairs. The wheel and brakes, both fell off the vehicle. The police were called. However no report was filed because there was no crash. Repairs were done.. the owner noticed that before the ball joint failed. There was too much play in the steering. When the wheel is turned it takes the tire a minute to catch up. The owner is concerned that the ball joint is about to go out again. The replacement parts do not seem to be any different than the original parts. The caller heard a report of a lady dying with the same problem in her vehicle.

- Sinton, TX, USA

Aug 152003

Liberty

Transmission is leaking, brakes squeal when you are backing up. They say it is from dew. It's in the garage at night. The steering is my main concern.it pulls so hard to the right. It's an accident waiting to happen.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Mar 252004

Liberty 4WD

While driving between 60 and 65 mph consumer lost control, and rear ended another vehicle. Dealer notified.

- Eagle River, AK, USA

Jun 172003

Liberty 6-cyl

When turning corners the vehicle's steering wheel be came very stiff as if there wasn't any power steering. This problem has occurred at least seven times. The dealer could not duplicate the problem. The manufacturer is aware of the problem.

- Bradford, PA, USA