2003 Jeep Liberty steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Sep 202010

Liberty Sport 4.0L

I bought this Jeep brand new and have always had it serviced on time and at a dealership. The re-occuring problem is with the steering which locks up occasionaly. I took it in to the dealership under the "front ball joint recall" and thought that would solve the problem, but they found nothing wrong. The steering lock up only seems to occur on long road trips and is unlocked by gearing down. I have had it to 3 different dealerships and no one can figure it out. However this last weekend it happened on a highway curve with a semi-truck coming right at me when the steering locked and would not turn on the curve! This really has me freaked so I called Chrysler Canada Head office, but they offerred no fact one local dealership wanted to charge me $100. to even look at it. Anyone else had this problem??

- , Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada