4.0

1. replace tps modules in each wheel (1 reports)
2004 Jeep Liberty wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Liberty:

2004 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jan 012004

Liberty Limited 3.6L

Within the first three days of owning my first (and last) Jeep product, the Liberty was in the shop 2 times ... then two weeks later, was in again, then two days later again.

After the 6th trip I stopped taking the liberty into the shop for a week while I documented the problem. I would drive down the interstate to work, and randomly I would "lose a tire" according to the Tire Pressure Sensors ... I had gotten to the point I would mark down time and date of trip, the time I'd get onto the interstate, and the mile marker (to the tenths of a mile) that a tire pressure disappeared. After two weeks or so of collecting the information I took the jeep back in with a print out which clearly showed every time the only wheel that never "disappeared" was the right rear ... and I wanted them to rotate the tires, re-train the TPS system and then drive the interstate from exit to exit (7 miles) at 65 MPH to see if the sensor would show where ever the original right rear tire was moved, that it would always show.

Prior to this, they started twice, by re-training the TPS system ... then they replaced a sensor module, the next time they replaced the 800 dollar trip computer electronics.. It was that last time that they tried "retraining" the trip computer/tps sensor and me still getting the same results that made me question if they ever tried rotating the tires.. to which I was told those little 20 dollar valve attached sensor modules never have a problem ...

So when I came back with my spread sheet showing mile markers, pressures displayed and tires "not there" that they finally did as I'd suggested, rotated the tires, retrained, drove the road, rotated tires, retrained the system, drove the road... and finally realized the real problem was in fact the valvestem pressure sensors..

All the work was under warranty ... but the frustration with this shop was only beginning at this point ... see my other posts for this jeeps' problems, it seems ASE didn't mean much since most of the mechanics there all wear the patch .... yet they can't use their brains to trouble shoot the simple things.

- , Strasburg, VA, USA