2.6

2005 Jeep Liberty lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Liberty:

2005 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 102015

Liberty 6-cyl

Head light and interior lights: I have been having a problem with the interior lights coming on and off at random times while driving. This usually happens at night, however it has happened during the day also. Last night I was driving approx. 57 miles per hour at 9:30 pm when the head lights flickered twice. After that the lights went out, I slowed down and pulled over to the shoulder of the road and they came on again. I then started driving and they did it again and again. I then put on the fog lights and prayed I make it to work without crashing. I live in the country so when the lights go out it's dark. I do not want to risk my life with this problem. I purchased my Jeep Liberty new and I've been very happy with it. I use my vehicle to go to work and I work nights so it's imperative it's safe and in good working order. I'm very concerned and I'm contemplating getting rid of it even though I love it, but my personal safety is #1.....updated 10/20/15

- Clarksville, FL, USA

Sep 152013

Liberty

Rear taillights have had to be replaced at least 10 times since I purchased this vehicle in 2005.I am constantly being pulled over and every mechanic is telling me that its a Jeep issue but I haven't seen any recalls!!!! they say its a ground wiring problem that Jeep have...please look into this!!!

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Aug 232014

Liberty

I was driving in the dark and suddenly my headlights on my Jeep Liberty suddenly shut off and did not come back on until I restarted my vehicle. This has happened numerous times.

- Bainbridge, OH, USA

Aug 012011

Liberty

Rear taillights have had to be replaced at least 10 times since I purchased this vehicle in 2007.I am constantly being pulled over and every mechanic is telling me that its a Jeep issue but I haven't seen any recalls!!!! they say its a ground wiring problem that Jeep have...please look into this!!!

- Henrico, VA, USA

Apr 012011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the rear brake lights overheated causing the plastic inside to melt. The dealer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 125,000.

- Winsted, CT, USA

Apr 132012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. While parked, the contact noticed that the passenger side taillight bulb was burned. The contact replaced the bulb but the failure continued. The driver side tail light also burned out. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The technician stated that the taillight assembly would have to be replaced due to overheating, which had melted the assembly. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Feb 012012

Liberty 6-cyl

1) wiring harness failed--rear lights not operable/functional. Vehicle crash possible because car not visible by other drivers at night. 2) gear shift sticks causing inability to put car in park. Roll-away imminent. Causing crash.

- Euclid, OH, USA

Mar 152011

Liberty 6-cyl

While driving with headlights on. Headlights with flicker on and off intermittently. It occurs randomly every night. Problem has been hard to diagnose and no repair available.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Oct 102008

Liberty

Both tail lights in my 2005 Jeep Liberty melted due to faulty wiring causing a safety hazard and costing my $327.27 to replace with a local mechanic. The mechanic himself said this type of defect was very common in the Chrysler/Jeep models he services. I would like to know if there was a re-call for these parts and if so, why I was not contacted. If no re-call was issued I would like to speak with someone regarding reimbursement for the defect. This not only was a potential fire hazard but it caused my vehicle to lose its brakelights, causing a driving safety hazard.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Jan 312006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated intermittently, while pulling in or out of the driveway, the vehicle will not respond. If the vehicle is in drive it must be put in reverse then drive to move and vice versa. Also, the lights, interior and exterior, flicker on and off. The dealership replaced the multifunction switch and upgraded the software. This has not remedied the problem. There are no codes on the computer or black box and the dealership cannot duplicate either problem. When the vehicle was in revese it did move and then stopped. The consumer stated it felt as though the vehicle was in neutral. Updated 02/21/06.

- Fishkill, NY, USA