2007 Jeep Liberty drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Liberty:

2007 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Sep 282016

Since I'm limited to word use I'll try to keep it short loss of power to turns off and doesn't want to restart, cruise control, mirrors, half of fuse box, windows off and on, ignition starts on it's own when in the start position, traction light now comes on, electronic throttle control light has come on, part time light stays on when in 2 wd. I can feel how it's trying to switch back and forth. This vehicle is becoming a lemon. I've changed the fuel pump, crank and cam sensors and also changed switches in the steering column. In which none of fixed the problems. After talking to the dealership I was told the wiring harness needs to be changed but that part is discontinued.... the vehicle isn't 10 years or older and after researching these issues there are many many Liberty owners with these same issues. How can we fix our vehicles if this part isn't available to us or the dealership"?" Jeep has known about this problem all alone but doesn't want to have to do a recall on every since Jeep to fix this issue but I will not buy another Jeep unless they fix the issue.. I love the vehicle other than the problems I'm having. This happens at any given time without notice and is becoming worst. If I lose power and I'm driving this could cause an accident with lots of injuries if not death. Please make Jeep fix our vehicles. I can't afford to buy a new vehicle. This body is in great shape

- Beaumont, MS, USA

Aug 052016

I bought this vehicle on November 29,2014 a year later the Jeep start breaking down such as overheated and waterpump engine light electrical keep going off power windows seem off track all four windows.pressure to drive it not pick up speed limit

- Bedford, OH, USA

Jan 262016

Auto transmission will shifts in and out of gear between 35 and 45 miles an hour.Jeep rearing end will knock really hard. It has been parked. An used as needed. Called about there recall they will not fix it.

- Buda, TX, USA

Nov 022015

A day before thanksgiving. I was driving during a snow storm. My car wont go into 4X4 causing me to loose control. Had it fixed in Feb 2015 for $680. Replace the driveshaft. Now that it is happening again. On Nov 2 til now 13, 2015* still same problem. It is so much noise and lot of vibration. When I make a turn right it is quiet and no vibration but going left make it worse. On a reverse that even worse almost cant reverse at all. Driving on the highway at some speed it get quiet and no vibration but will return that horrible noise and vibration.

- Wakefield, NH, USA

Jun 022008

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would abruptly shift into gear and cause the vehicle to jerk. The contact also indicated that the traction control sensor light erroneously illuminated while operating the vehicle. The engine temperature and ABS sensor lights illuminated. The front end of the vehicle made a grinding noise, the radio was hot to the touch, and the ceiling light suddenly illuminated while operating the vehicle. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failures. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Sep 222014

Liberty 6-cyl

I manage an emissions testing business a woman came in with a 2007 Jeep Liberty for a smog check. During the asm test, where I have to drive the car on the dynamometer, it hops off the dyno, going through the precautions I take for a rear-wheel drive vehicle(placing a shock in front of the front wheels), and crashes into the wall, damaging myself and $5,000 worth of equipment. Also, the car kept on accelerating into the wall, even when pushing on the brakes as hard I could so that's when I shifted it into park and engaged the handbrake. Obviously, this car has some major problems with it. At first, I looked online and the year and model had numerous recalls on it, including the rear suspension, and brakes locking up, which I believed had happened in my case. (, but after contacting the dealership, they told me that there wasn't any major recalls issued on it, which is why im filing this complaint after smogging hundreds of cars, this has never happened to me until that day.

- Glendora, CA, USA

Feb 102014

Went out to start vehicle in the morning for work. Made loud banging/rattling noise. Immediately shut off engine and took to mechanic. The rocker arm had come loose. Fixed for $100. Less than 1 week later, the head gasket blew, cylinders head are warped and need repair and now it will cost me $2000. There was no warning, no engine issues prior to these two incidents, no overheating.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Nov 122013

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the transmission had seized and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Loveland, OH, USA

Aug 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 61,617.

- Farmington Hills , MI, USA

Jul 152013

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V121000 (air bags, power train, structure). The dealer was contacted to schedule an appointment for the repair but stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact stated he had not experienced a failure. The current mileage was 45,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Oct 152011

Liberty 6-cyl

I backed my Jeep Liberty sport into a turn around area, needed to put it in 4 wheel drive. I put it in 4 wheel hi, then pulled forward. Once I was out of the turn around area I put it back in 2 wheel drive. As I was driving down the road the vehicle was driving very sluggish. I stopped to make sure nothing was stuck in the tires or in the wheel wells. I continued driving and it did not want to go above 40 miles an hour. After about 10 minutes I heard a rather loud popping sound, followed by what sounded like a chain being dragged under the vehicle. I stopped to look under it but didn't see anything, so I slowly made my way towards home. After another few minutes it was basically undrivable, so I stopped at a friends house and got a ride home. After taking it to the mechanics they told me the front drive shaft had broken in half. I got that repaired just to be told that the rear pinion is shot and needs to be replaced as well. The vehicle had been fine up till that point, and I had used 4 wheel drive on other occasions. Now for some reason after using it this time I had a $600 bill to replace the front drive shaft and what I am being told is at least another $600 to $900 bill for the rear pinion. Anyone else have any issues with this?

- Jamestown, NY, USA