2008 Jeep Liberty body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Liberty:

2008 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Apr 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the retractable roof detached and left a separation between the roof and the vehicle when activated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the roof needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Vergennes, VT, USA

Jul 062015

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the button that operates the sky slider roof made an abnormal noise when depressed. The roof began to open and then stopped. The roof failed to open any further or close from that position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Pottersville, NJ, USA

Sep 012009

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Sky slider retractable roof has excessive noise and will not seat correct. Fear of if coming off while in motion.

- Anthem, AZ, USA

Dec 192014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Sunslider roof - broken frame and motor at approximately 50,000 miles. Water damage. Told not covered by warranty. Repair estimated over $3000. Gap in roof when driving at any speed over 30 mph. Research indicates known issue by Jeep with subjective decisions whether or not to cover repair and prior lawsuit.

- New Milford, NJ, USA

Aug 242014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

When I first bought this vehicle from a local used dealer, I never anticipated the problems I would be faced with. I have always dreamed of owning a Jeep and now, I'm ready to take it to the dump. I purchased this keep on the above date and was told that the sky slider does not work. The dealer created a contract that they would have it fixed. 2 months later, they finally find someone in the area who knows how to fix this problem. We take it in, and find that the whole roof had to be replaced. The dealership finally agreed to pay for it after a month of me being out a vehicle. This repair cost the dealership an upwards of $4,500 and I am still experiencing wind noise. If I drive on the highway and a semi goes by, the sky slider lifts up as if it's going to fly off. I will never open the sky slider for fear that it will need to be fixed again (or get stuck open). I have seen many people presenting this same issue on forums with nothing being solved. Please, it's time Chrysler owns up to this faulty design and helps people out! I am so scared that this roof is going to fly off while I'm driving on the freeway and cause an accident. No one should ever have to feel afraid to drive a car they pay for!

- Spokane, WA, USA

Jul 272014

The sky slider roof stopped in the open position and would not close. The cost to fix is $4,000. Due to it being stuck open there is now water damage all around the top of the Jeep roof.

- Derby, NY, USA

Apr 212014

The skyslider roof on the Jeep Liberty does not stay closed while driving. It lifts loose from the track while closed and traveling at speeds over 50 mph. I am able to see the outside through the gap it creates and fear that it will lift open from the car. I have read of similar incidents where the roof did indeed fall off at high speeds. I fear that mine will too.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Jun 152012

The skyslider roof system has failed. The roof opened as normal but failed to close when button was closed. On investigation of the roof top I found the sky slider roof had come off the track. When I took the Jeep to the dealer they told me they could only replace the roof at a cost of $1500. I took the car home and was able to manually pull the roof back into place. This appears to be a design defect with the roof systems as there are thousands of complaints about wind noise and the skyslider failing and Chrysler Jeep ignoring the problem.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Apr 112012

Liberty 6-cyl

The sky slider roof on my Jeep Liberty stopped closing properly several weeks ago. At first it was just leaking and small parts of the roof wouldn't close. Eventually it progressed to the entire sky slider and now will not close completely at both ends. I have seen several other complaints about this same problem on the internet and I believe that this is a faulty product made by Jeep and should be recalled immediately!

- Anaheim, CA, USA