2009 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Liberty:

2009 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

May 282015

I've noticed that my vehicle was having an issuing accelerating lately. I went for my routine oil change and was told the fuel pump needs to be replace and it would be the reason for the issue with accelerating. The mechanic stated that it is really common with the Jeep and unfortunately the part is not expensive but the labor is because they need to remove the engine to replace it. If it is as common as a problem as the mechanic states, why is there no recall" I see there is a recall on Jeep liberties for a similar issue for 2002-2007. Could there still possibly be this issue in the 2009 models as well"

- Revere, MA, USA

Apr 212014

Liberty 6-cyl

Fuel inlet check valve in gas tank fails, resulting in fill flow back out of the tank when filling vehicle with gasoline. There is no indication when this valve fails except when filling the vehicle, gas comes shooting out, pouring all over the vehicle and the ground. This causes a risk for fire and is an environmental hazard. Unsuspecting consumers may be covered in gasoline if they are standing next to the vehicle at the time of failure.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Feb 042011

When I am filling my gas tank I engage the automatic shutoff on the fuel pump nozzle but the gas continues to flow and spills out. The gas comes out and splashes on the outside of my vehicle. It also runs down the side of my Jeep and onto the ground. This has been occurring a lot more frequently lately. I have to stop the pump, check the gas level by turning the ignition partially on to see the gas gauge. If I don't do that procedure I will have gas on me, my car and the ground. When the shutoff does not stop there is a very strong gas smell inside my vehicle that I feel is very unsafe. This occurs at different brand gas stations.

- Garfield Heights, OH, USA

Jan 022014

I insert the pump nozzle and set the auto shut off. When the pump clicks off, gas bubbles over and flows out no matter if the pump handle is locked or I'm manually pumping, at multiple gas stations I have experienced overflow. It runs down the side of the car and all over the ground. It has happened numerous times. It seems dangerous, because this could be a fire hazard, and is an environmental hazard. I try to pump as slow as possible when I know it is near full, but still get gas coming out every time that I let it go until the pump stops. This is obviously a problem that the manufacturer should be fixing.

- Republic, MO, USA

Oct 232013

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Liberty. The contact was refueling the vehicle when fuel spewed from the filler neck. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 42000.

- Allison Park, PA, USA

Apr 182013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Each and every time I fill up my Jeep when the gasoline automatic pump dispenser shuts off I get splashed with gas and it goes all over me and my vehiicle. I called local Jeep dealer and they want to put new gas tank in at my expense!!!

- Butler, PA, USA

Mar 282013

Liberty 6-cyl

I'm having the same problem as most of everyone else when filling up with gas. It's happened a few times, I thought that it was the pump or gas station, but now realized it is the car. It happened today which was the worst incident yet, gasoline spilling all over the car, causing me to check online if this was normal. We also have a 2008 and received a notice to go to dealership for repair, but what about my 2009"?"

- Norridge, IL, USA

Dec 202012

Liberty 6-cyl

For the last 2 times when I feel up my Jeep the gas will spill back out all over me and the Jeep. Chrysler says I need a new gas tank but it was never wrecked or any other damage. I have seen on the internet other people is having this problem but they want me to pay for a new gas tank. Is there any recall on this Jeep.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Dec 172012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

When filling gas tank fuel spits back out of tank all over body and me if not standing away from nozzle. This just started happening just as Jeep warranty ran out. Dealer will not fix problem unless I spend $700 for new tank. I feel this a safety problem that Jeep should fix this problem at no charge. I understand there are safety bulletins out on this problem on several models of Jeep.

- Fairmont, WV, USA