2007 Jeep Patriot fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Patriot:

2007 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Oct 032016

I'm experiencing what I've found to be a well-documented issue with a vapor-liquid separator valve located in the gas tank of my 2007 Jeep Patriot. After fueling, moments after starting the car and putting it into drive, the car will stall and shut off. It will immediately re-start and run again but is pretty much guaranteed to shut off at every stop (I.e. at an intersection or while exiting the gas station) for the next few minutes. It also leads to hesitations of the engine while driving at full speed. This has happened to me the last four times I've filled my gas tank. On the most recent occasion, the engine stalled while in an intersection, as I started to make a left-hand turn. The engine shut off, the steering wheel locked up, and I had to throw it into park and restart the car while stalled in a lane of oncoming traffic. I'm very fortunate the oncoming vehicle was paying close attention and stopped to allow me to exit the intersection. This issue only occurs after filling the gas tank, when the vapor canister component that the valve is supposed to protect becomes flooded with liquid fuel during the fill. When this component purges its contents, the intake manifold is flooded with liquid fuel, rather than vapor, causing the stall. After driving several miles (presumably when all of the liquid fuel has been purged from the vapor canister), no more problems are seen until the tank is refilled. Some investigation has shown that I'm far from the only person to experience this dangerous defect. The faulty valve is located inside the gas tank, and the issue can only be resolved with a prohibitively-expensive replacement of the entire tank. This is absolutely a documented flaw inherent in several vehicle models in the Chrysler family, and it needs to be addressed before anyone is killed as a result.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Jun 012015

I bought my 2007 Jeep Patriot on 1/24/2015 I was so excited. I started having problems around 5 months with the gas tank. I bought a new gas cap and yes Jeep brand and still the same problem. I have been reading other owners issue and they are identical to mine. The car stalls and shut off in the middle of traffic, at a stop light or just whenever. I was reading some complaints and they were saying the charcoal canister is the problem. The complaint also said you can not replace the charcoal canister, because it was build into the fuel tank, so you have to replace the whole fuel tank. The cost for a new fuel tank is around $1,250 ☹️ very sad about the cost. My boyfriend gave me his car to drive because he said it's to danger for me to be driving my car, but he drives it now and I'm worried he might get hurt. I do think this should be a recall item before someone gets badly hurt or die.

- Carson, CA, USA

Mar 272016

After filling gas tank with fuel, after 30ish seconds the engine will stall and sometimes recover, sometimes quit. This happens regardless of whether I am stopped at a light/sign or driving. I have read numerous reports of others having this same issue. Seems that the charcoal canister is filling with gas. Please help make this a known issue for other drivers! this has happened over the last 3 or 4 months with my vehicle.

- Solomon, KS, USA

Mar 102016

After filling the fuel tank all the way the car will stutter and stall when you first pull away from the station. I was told this is because the vapors canister malfunctions. This isn't bad, except in this state the steering locks. It doesn't just get and to steer like old days without power steering, the steering wheel actually locks as if you are in park.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Feb 172016

Every time after I fill the gas tank, I start the engine, it runs fine for 1-2 min. Then begins to buck and jolt like it wants to shut off. Iżve even had the engine completely shut off while on the highway. I'm very concerned that a serious accident could occur due to the unexpected loss of power rendering my steering and brakes inoperable. This behavior of the engine shut off does not occur again until the next time I fill up my gas tank. Iżve found information that this problem is due to a faulty vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of the fuel tank.

- Madison Township, PA, USA

Feb 112016

Vehicle stalls after fueling. On line forum suggest Chrysler knows about the problem, which is very expensive to remedy. The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve on top of the fuel tank. Also referred to as fuel tank rollover valve. Requires replacement of fuel tank to replace valve which is not sold separately. Vehicle stalls after fueling creating a dangerous situation while in traffic. Usually happens within a minute or two or filling up gas tank.

- Raymond, CA, USA

Jan 292016

When the tank is filled, the engine stalls soon after leaving the gas station. The vehicle buck and stalls, and quits completely. Very dangerous when it is in traffic or during a turn as steering and brakes non-functional. Have replaced charcoal canister but now mechanic informs me the whole gas tank assembly needs replacement. Work-around for now is to not fill the tank up all the way.

- Sutter Creek, CA, USA

Jan 042016

After filling the gas tank the engine will stall. It happens with engine idleing or after enterring traffic. Very very very very.......dangerous, Jeep needs to fix this issue. Tons of Jeep owners are having this problem. Jeep don't wait until your product has kill a bunch of people including me and my family.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Jun 042011

My car cuts off / stalls every time I fill my tank up. This is very dangerous to my family as well as other drivers on the road.

- Suitland, MD, USA

Sep 122015

Shortly after filling up the gas tank on 3 separate occasions, I could drive my car about 1/4 mile and the whole engine shuts off. This only happens when the tank is completely full. The car shudders and stalls repeatedly right after fill up. Once a small amount of gas is used the car seems to run fine but the stalling happens at idle. At a red light, stop sign, or when speeds are reduced to turn. It is very dangerous to know your car can shut off randomly, had to drive on highway and main roads with hazard lights on for fear of not knowing when it would stall again. Mechanics looked at all wiring and parts under hood of car and could not find anything. The only thing in common with the 3 stalls was that I had just filled the gas tank up completely. It seems Chrysler has knowledge of this with other cars, minivans etc. Many Jeep owners have complained about this exact issue on a Jeep forum. Options seem to be: Don't fill up completely, or replace the gas tank, which is costly.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Aug 012015

The wiring to and the fuel pump housing melted the wiring that goes from the back side of the plug and down to the pump that is submerged in fuel also melted it was a matter of time before it caught fire. The vehicle would still run and it would randomly short out while driving. I've replaced the pump and kept the parts that have burnt.

- Tumwater, WA, USA

Aug 182015

After refueling vehicle to full tank capacity, the vehicle stalls and steering wheel locks in an intersection within a few blocks from the gas station. For 2 years, this vehicle has been stalling after every gas refueling. It has now started to lock the steering wheel concurrent with the stalling. My wife, who was driving the vehicle at the time of the 8/18/15 incident felt she was in danger as cars tried to avoid the vehicle as well as almost hitting another vehicle because of the locked steering wheel.

- Culver City, CA, USA

May 012014

After filling up tank to "click" shutoff with no overfilling, Jeep Patriot 2007 stalls and shuts down completely after about 2 minutes or 1 mile back on the roadway. After the first incident, this continued happening after every complete to "click" fill up. Took Jeep to dealerships in plano, tx and richardson, tx for consultation with their service departments. Both service managers informed me that it could be any part in the fuel delivery system malfunctioning that would cause this, and that any repairs would be exploratory and most likely the total would be $1,000 parts and labor. My research on the web points to a faulty valve that is integrated into the fuel tank (not separately replaceable from replacing the fuel tank) that doesn't shut off correctly. This causes the vapor canister to become saturated, which messes up the fuel/air mix beyond the ability of the computer to compensate for, so the Jeep stalls. The stalling out with the loss of power steering makes navigating out of traffic difficult and dangerous to me and other drivers. For now, I guess about when the tank might be full at fill-ups, and manually stop the fill-up. Filling up short of the auto "click" shutoff has so far avoided further stalls. However, doing this is not always easy to monitor. Also, I now worry that the vapor canister and perhaps other fuel system delivery components may be damaged, but don't want to pay for exploratory (guesses) parts and labor repairs; I would like a clear indication from the manufacturer as to the specific part(s) failures that are causing the stalls, and would like for them to recall any parts as a major safety issue.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 052015

Patriot 4-cyl

After filling up the gas tank the vehicle stalls. It's happened in intersections and on the road. It cranks back up but stalls at various times, completely shutting down. After a few occurrences sometimes even happening on the next day or two it stops until I fill the tank up again and the cycle continues. I thought it may be the fuel pump but research on the web shows others with the same issue with the same fuel systems used in Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep.this is extremely dangerous.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 152012

2007 Jeep Patriot stalls after every fuel fll up. Only stalls when fuel is filled. Starts back up with no problem.

- Severn, MD, USA

Jan 022007

The car stalled out since the first day I bought it (Jan. 1, 2008). It is now August 2014 and I still have this problem, except now it's a much more dangerous and bigger problem. If I go slow or stop to turn in the middle of an intersection, it stalls out. I almost got hit/killed today. The terrible part about it is that I've been complaining about this from day 1. every time I take it to the dealership, they can never find the problem. I just tried calling Chrysler and they are telling me I've only taken it in once for this issue, which is not true at all.. even if it was just once, they still didn't know what was causing the problem so they "could not fix it."

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Sep 202013

Went and filled up my gas tank (filled it up, did not top it off). When I left the gas station I was sitting at a stop light and my engine turned off (music was still playing, just the engine had turned off) this happened for the next 30 minutes on my way home. The next day it was running fine. If I only fill up my gas tank 1/2 way there is no problem.

- Baltimore, MD, USA