2.8

2008 Jeep Patriot drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Patriot:

2008 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Aug 012016

Patriot

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 60 mph, the transmission overheated warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle's speed reduced to approximately 35 mph. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The contact received a transmission fluid change; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 122016

Patriot

While driving my Jeep Patriot it started to make a whining noise and eventually the vehicle loss power. After sitting on the side of the road a while I started the vehicle and began to drive again with no problem but still I heard the whinning noise. After driving for a while again the vehicle loss power. After finally making it home I immediately got on the internet to research this problem. Only to find out that the Jeep Patriot cvt transmission is crap and the company won't do anything to fix it knowing that their product have problems. I'm disgusted an 09 with 53,000 miles and I need a new transmission. Our government and citizens bailed the Chrysler company out when they was at risk of losing everything and this is how they pay us back and say thank you, by selling us crap and being knowledgeable of the issues it has and do nothing about it. I was taught buying american is what keeps America employed, but it also leaves U stuck on the side of the road and wasting thousands of ur hard earned dollars on a junk product. I feel as though the Chrysler company should address this issue and fix their product its theirs they made it so fix it plain and simple but no after spending thousands on their vehicle they want U to also spend another $3500 in their dealerships on a new transmission this is robbery at its finest and nothing is done about it but again this is America home of the free. Free to do whatever U like and screw those that kept U afloat and bailed ur company out when you was on the brink of closing your doors.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 012016

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

2008 Jeep Patriot. Consumer writes in regards to unsatisfactory customer service at dealership with vehicle power train inspection issues. The consumer stated there was a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The dealer informed the consumer, inspections did not include the power train.

- Wixom, MI, USA

Dec 132013

Patriot

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that a non-programmed key was used to start the vehicle and it activated the anti-theft system. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module needed to be replaced. In addition, the vehicle keys needed to be re-programmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Jan 182015

Patriot

I was driving my 2008 Jeep Patriot that has a manual transmission. I was coming up on a red light so I got ready to stop. The light turned green before I had to completely stop so I continued through the light and attempted to shift gears. When I put my foot on the clutch it went all the way to the floor. There was no pressure in the clutch at all. I pressed the gas in an attempt to get off the road and out of the way of the vehicles that were coming up quickly behind me. The clutch was completely loose. I had to get out of the Jeep and push it to the side of the road. I was so upset and disappointed! I had literally only had the Jeep Patriot for 1 month. A police officer had to park his patrol car behind me with his blue lights on to warn people I was there so I would not get hit by another vehicle. I had to get the Patriot towed to my house. The brake/clutch fluid had made a puddle on the side of the road. Well I got a mechanic that I know to come to my house and take a look at it. First of all the clutch line had "slipped off" and had to be put back on. And for that to happen by itself like that is scary. I ordered a new clutch release bearing&slave cylinder assembly. This has been put on and the line bled. That was finished up on Thursday and today is Sunday. I got in it this morning and it would not let me shift gears. I turned it off and cranked it again. This time the whole front of the Patriot was shaking. I turned it off. I pumped the clutch for a bit and cranked it again and it finally worked. I drove to work and all seemed fine. After work when I cranked it, it would not shift gears. I had to turn it off and pump the clutch a bit and crank it again before it would go.I have noticed hundreds if not thousands of people with clutch issues, slave cylinder issues and a ton of other issues with the 2008 Jeep Patriot. Something needs to be done about this!!!

- Horton, AL, USA

Nov 022014

Patriot 4-cyl

I recently bought a 2008 Jeep Patriot in Florida and got on the highway to go head home to Mississippi the day after purchase and experienced a problem with the vehicle. I picked up speed in the vehicle and noticed it started to make a noise so I slowed down. I picked up speed again and the vehicle was making the noise and slowing down once again. I tried to pick up speed again and the car been to slow all the way down only going about 40 to 50 mph. Then I noticed a light come on. I was on the highway and the car would not go any faster than 40 to 60 mph I then pulled over. I looked under the hood there was no smoke and didn't look to be any overheating and the car was not hot. I waited a while drove to Mississippi took it to a Chrysler Jeep dealership and was told it was the transmission.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Mar 022009

Patriot

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 60 mph, the power train warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle decelerated to 30 mph. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 1,200.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 062009

Patriot

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the vehicle independently reduced in power without warning. The vehicle could be restarted and resumed as normal. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the transmission was replaced but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the transmission fluid and the filter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Farmington Hills , MI, USA

Jan 142009

Patriot

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the transmission warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle independently decelerated and failed to accelerate. The failure recurred 20 times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000. The VIN was not available.

- Decatur, TX, USA

Jun 072014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated to 30 mph and the power train warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact stated that the transmission was overheating and needed to resume to normal temperature in order to be able to accelerate the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on several occasions where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Carson City, NV, USA

May 282009

Patriot 4-cyl

Any time I take a long trip (1hr +) or I'm in heavy traffic my transmission light comes on accompanied with a whining noise and loss of power. I live in phoenix, Arizona, so temps in the summer are extremely high. My wife was heading to flagstaff one day in mid August she lost power to our Patriot and couldn't go over 40mph. She was stuck in 115 degree heat for over one hour waiting for the vehicle to cool down. She had to repeat this three different time until she made it to her destination. I almost was rear ended when I lost power in the city trying to get off the road. Creates dangerous driving conditions!!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 042014

Patriot 4-cyl

I took the Jeep in for a oil change. While it was up in the air the mechanic was able to show me that the engine cradle was badly rusted and needs to be replaced.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Mar 112014

Patriot 4-cyl

I was driving over the bridge going 40 mph and I notice that the etc light came on. I attempted to turn off the vehicle, wait a few minutes and turn the vehicle back on. The etc light came back on. I had the vehicle towed to the repair facility and service advisor told me that my throttle body went out. The service advisor indicated that none of the dealerships have the part and none of the auto parts have an aftermarket. The service advisor indicated that there is a national back order of 18000 and they don?T know when I can get as part of my vehicle. I called Jeep cac and they told me that there is nothing that they can do. This is the first time I owned a Jeep vehicle and very upset. Of all the vehicles that I owned, I never heard that the dealership not having the part in stock.

- St Petersburg , FL, USA

Jul 242012

Patriot

We bought this vehicle for our son, who is off at college. Traveling thru Kansas on I-70 returning from vacation, the transmission overheated. Vehicle slowed to 20 mph in traffic with no warning. Had to drive on shoulder to exit ramp and let the transmission cooled down. Took it to dealer and they could not find any diagnostic codes, so they couldn't fix it. This has happened 5 more times since then. Most recently, traveling in 25 degree weather at 70 mph. Took it back to dealer and was told they couldn't fix it. Finally, they admitted that he cvt transmission is the problem, but they won't fix it. Chrysler needs to step up their customer service and fix their poorly designed vehicles. But they are unwilling to work with the customer. The vehicle resale value is in the tank because of this problem. This is a very dangerous situation for any body driving this vehicle.

- Westminster, CO, USA