2011 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Patriot:

2011 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 242016

Patriot

While traveling on a freeway my instrument panel lit up and my car lost all power. I was able to coast to the shoulder. When I looked up the panel light meanings in the manual, I determined it was safe to attempt to restart the car. The car would not start. After waiting for a few minutes, I was able to start the car and take it in to the dealer. The service department acknowledged the car problem but was unable to duplicate it. At the time. I had the same problem a few other times, my car stalled in the middle of an intersection and would not restart. Again, service department is unable to duplicate this issue. It usually happens while driving for 40-60 minutes approx. 70-75 mph. After coasting the vehicle to the side of the road... the dealer advised me that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 012016

Patriot

Everytime I refuel my vehicle, the engine stalls at least twice until the fuel needle is below the fuel mark. I don't overfill my vehicle, so I wonder why is this happening!

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jul 062016

Patriot

My Patriot with 108K miles stalled at 75 mph on the highway 3X last night on a 3 hour drive. It also stalled 4X times today on my 10 min way to drop it off at the dealership. Once while idling and 3X while driving at different speeds. Once while I was turning. I've read online that this has been happening quite a bit to 2011 Jeep Patriots and even caused a car to be totalled. Please investigate this.

- Star City, AR, USA

Sep 152015

Patriot

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the alternator and the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however the failure persisted four days later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer however, they were not able to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 282015

Patriot

This vehicle has been very dependable up until now, my 3rd year of ownership. The car has been maintained well and has never shown any indication of problems. While driving on the freeway a few weeks ago going about 65mph, the vehicle suddenly died in traffic. All of a sudden I lost the ability to accelerate and the vehicle was coasting. I tried to move over as I was in the fast lane with no shoulder available due to road work. I got over to the far right lane but there was also no shoulder there. Luckily I was able to duck into a work area that had a small opening(I took out a couple cones though). As I attempted to slow the vehicle once in the closed work area off the side of the freeway I lost power steering and the ability to brake. The car would start again but not accelerate and would die again when I tried. We left the car and came back 2 hours later with the same issues. After letting the car sit for 3-4 hours it ran perfectly fine. Two days later I had the same problem while driving on city streets going anywhere from 25-40mph. I had the vehicle looked at and it did not put out any codes thus the mechanic was unable to help me. I took the car home again but now every single time the car runs long enough to reach normal operating temperature it dies while driving. This car is a safety hazard! there were no warning lights coming on beforehand, and after the car has died it sometimes will flash the transmission light or all of the lights will briefly flash and then go off. My car is no longer covered under warranty but I believe this car should be recalled. It has happened to many people across the country and I even saw an investigation opened in 2012. What were the results of that investigation? I haven't been able to find them anywhere probably indicating that nothing ever came of it. I will be contacting Jeep as well as carmax where I bought the car.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jul 042015

Patriot

The car was purchased for our daughter who turned (16) Nov 2014. Most of the driving took place on local roads with short-term highway miles..(10-15 mins). The first instance occurred on July 4th, driving to relatives for a bbq & fireworks, our family took (2) cars, my daughter had been driving about 40 mins @ 75mph, when the car started making a whining noise and the temp lite appeared on her dashboard. She said the car was bogging down so she pulled over and called us. She waited 10 mins then continued the additional 15min drive without issue. We took the car into our auto repair shop, where the right front wheel bearing was replaced, as they could not find anything wrong with the engine/powertrain, fluids were fine. Total cost with labor and materials $260.14. The 2nd instance occurred on Sept 18 (today), driving to visit a friend, mainly highway miles, 75-80 mph. She called after (1.5) hours, stating that the temp light appeared and the car was making whining noises. She said the car was not reacting right and felt it was going to stall. When she pressed the gas pedal it would not react. She pulled off the expressway and pulled into a gas station turning off the engine for about (10) minutes. She started the car and finished the last 1/2 hr of expressway miles, staying well under 70 mph, with no issues. The concern is that the problem occurs during highway traveling over 70 mph consistantly over (1) hour. Posing a safety risk of stalling or not bogging down on the highway. This car will be taken to college in the spring 2016, 2-3 hours away where she will be doing regular highway driving and getting to the destination safetly is all that matters.

- Harrison Twp, MI, USA

Aug 202015

Patriot

On Thursday Aug. 20, 2015 I started the Jeep to head out for errand duties when it wouldn't start. I tried a again about ten minutes later and it started. Later that afternoon I was driving on US1 in levittown, pa when the Jeep stopped while I was driving. Luckily, I was able to partially turn my car towards a drive that led to a shopping center parking lot when no longer it could move. The back end of the Jeep was hindering traffic and cars were honking away but I couldn't move the car any further. It just stopped right there. Fortunately, I flagged down a police officer from falls township and he came right over to help me when he noticed my predicament. Either he called in for help because I discovered another police office directing traffic away from the Jeep. We managed somehow to get the car started and it began to move. I was asked to drive it to a parking space where a maintenance man, along with the officer tightened the bolts on my battery. Then I followed the officer to a service station where another mechanic tightened the bolts, too. The mechanic suggested I get to a service station to solve what happened. I took my Jeep to my mechanic for a scheduled inspection on Aug.24, if I'm correct. The battery passed inspection but the emission failed the test. Now I'm driving without inspection stickers and proper papers for the police if I should get stopped. Meanwhile I contacted reedmantoll in langhorne, pa to see what I can do to get this fixed. I'm waiting to hear back from them. Now, I'm deathly afraid to drive the Jeep for fear I'd be driving and it stops while doing so. I've owned this Jeep for 3 days before all of this happened and rarely go out at all due to my fear of causing a terrible accident injuring, or killing, innocent people.

- Trevose, PA, USA

May 042015

Patriot

Jeep Patriot 2011 is stalling randomly at every speed level. Restarting sometimes immediately possible sometimes after a 1 hour waiting period.

- Ada, MI, USA

Jun 222015

Patriot

While driving through town (under 40 mph), less than half a mile from departure from my house, the engine cut out. Lost engine power and power steering. Electronic throttle control light and the oil temp light both came on. Was able to move the car to a side street, turned the car off for a minute, and then back on. Upon turning on was able to drive home to switch vehicles. Less than two months later the same issue occurred. Engine power and power steering were lost.

- Gambrills, MD, USA

Mar 032015

Patriot 4-cyl

I was on a short trip when a car behind me frantically waved me to stop and informed me that my Jeep was on fire. The exhaust burnt a whole through the rear bumper and melted the bumper. I had no indication that this was happening.

- Youngsville, PA, USA

Dec 212014

Patriot 4-cyl

While driving on the highway at approximately 50mph, my car stalled. I rolled to the shoulder with the residual momentum. After waiting 3-5 minutes the car was able to turn over. I drove the car until I could get a service appointment at my local Chrysler Jeep dealer; during that time the car continued to stall randomly. Two days before my appointment, my car stalled to the point where it would not turn over. I first towed the car home, the following morning towed it to the dealership. The dealership had my car for 4 days and could not duplicate the problem or detect the origin of the malfunction. Since having the car in my possession, I have had the car stall each day in use. This car has proven to unpredictable but most of all unsafe.

- Englewood, NJ, USA

Oct 202014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Aug 152014

Patriot 4-cyl

While going about 75 mph, coming back from California, the engine seemed to start making a different whining type sound and then the light telling me the transmission was overheating came on. I immediately pulled over and let it sit for 10 minutes while idling, which the owner manual suggested, . the light then went off and we proceeded home with no further incident. It was really strange though when you are in a large group of vehicle's and you suddenly lose all ability to accelerate; definitely a potential safety issue out on the road..

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jul 162014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 15 mph, the engine stalled. The contact mentioned that the check engine and ABS indicators illuminated. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Kathleen, GA, USA

Mar 122014

Patriot 4-cyl

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot 4X4 with the 2.4 liter and for the last month my wife and I are having trouble with the engine just shutting off and not wanting to start.only had 2 times when the engine would just shut off while stopped(thank god)and have has numerous times when the engine just will not start..sometimes you have to mess with the gear shift but most times you have to turn the key really hard to start or just keep trying until it decides to start.my main concern is that it will just shut off while running down the interstate.I called Chrysler and they said they had no recalls and I ask them to make not of my problem and they said they would..the gentleman said they were no recalls for my Jeep.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Jul 152014

Patriot 4-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Jeep Patriot from kraft Nissan November 16, 2013. When I initially purchased it they printed out the vehicle history report showing that the vehicle has never been in accidents and that there was only one previous owner. Since my purchase I complied with every scheduled servicing and hadn't had any major problems. Well, July 15, 2014, as I was driving on the highway, the transmission overheating light lit up so I drove to the nearest gas station and immediately contacted the Jeep customer service line and the operator instructed me to let the car cool off before starting it back up to continue with my journey. After about an hour and a half, I began to drive again and I immediately contacted kraft Nissan to schedule an appointment to get my vehicle inspected. My appointment was for July 17, 2014, and I left my car there with them for 10 hours, finally I called them and they explained that my transmission fluid was dirty and that I needed to get it flushed and the price would be over $500. I declined the service because the price seemed to be a bit steep, and I began to call around to find a better price, meanwhile, I was charged a $95 servicing fee even though that service should have been covered under warranty. As I stated before, I have never had any major problems with my automobile, well, July 18, 2014 my check engine light lit up and has been on ever since. It is now Sunday, July 20, 2014 and the light is still on. I am planning on taking my automobile back in to kraft Nissan to see exactly why my 'check engine' has been on since my visit with them.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 242014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle would suddenly stall. The failure would only occur when using the automation drive transmission and the air conditioner was activated. The contact mentioned that the failure did not occur when using the tiptronic transmission option. The contact also indicated that the failure would occur prior to the engine warming up to normal operating temperature. In addition, the contact also stated that the air bag sensor light had illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Jun 182014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph, the vehicle erroneously accelerated and decelerated intermittently. The contact also mentioned that the engine overheated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure and current mileage was 89,000.

- Derry, NH, USA

Jun 082014

Patriot

Was driving out of a parking lot Sunday afternoon. Car was running with no problems and suddenly engine completely shut off without warning. Electronics were still running. Tried to turn engine back on, engine attempted to crank but did not successfully turn on. Tried twice with no success. Waited 10 minutes and it turned on with no problem. Drove down a little further and it stalled again, with electronics still on. Managed to turn engine back on right away, but I was too worried to drive it. Towed it back home. Code P0335 was indicated when scanned. Researched online and discovered engines of 2011 Jeep Patriot tend to stall without warning.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jun 042014

Patriot 4-cyl

While traveling approximately 3 hrs at highway speed, with the cruise control on and in 108 degree weather, the motor shut down. If felt as if the vehicle ran out of fuel. No lights, no warnings, and over 1/4 tank of fuel. After stopping on the shoulder the motor would turn over, but not start, made me think that the fuel pump was bad. 5 minutes later it started, but when the throttle was pressed it died again. Another 15 minutes of sitting the vehicle started, but felt "sluggish". I started moving slowly down the shoulder, and the vehicle began to respond normally, and finished the last hour of the drive without incident.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA