2.4

2012 Jeep Patriot body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Patriot:

2012 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Aug 102015

Patriot

The rear bumper on my Patriot caught fire from the exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe appears to have risen behind the bumper causing my bumper to melt and catch fire. I removed the melted/burned plastic around the pipe to prevent further damage

- Loudon, NH, USA

Jun 172014

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

I was driving my Jeep and it seemed to sound really loud, like a motorcycle, and when I'd accelerate it wasn't smooth, it's almost like something was stuck. I was running errands and when I went to put some groceries in the back, I noticed my bumper looked funny and I could not see the tail pipe. I called the dealership (I had called earlier to make an appointment for this noise, before I noticed the bumper). He told me to come in and they'd fix it. The tail pipe got lodged up in my bumper, burned a hole in the bumper, and started burning the frame of my Jeep. It was extremely hot and had I not noticed it, would have started on fire. The guy at the dealership said he had seen this one time before when someone hit a snow bank. We haven't had snow in months, and that weekend I drove my Jeep to my mom's and it was parked all weekend. I did not hit anything, and no car could hit me that low to lodge that up. I now check every time I get in the car to make sure I can see the tailpipe since I'm not sure if bumpy roads can cause this to happen again.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Aug 092012

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact was traveling 20 mph when blue flames and black smoke emitted from the rear of the vehicle. The contact confirmed that the plastic rear bumper caught on fire. The vehicle was not destroyed. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the rear bumper and confirmed the failure was caused by a hanger in the muffler that was too close to the bumper. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 4,200.....updated 10/11/12 updated 10/15/2012

- Milwaukie, OR, USA