2013 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Patriot:

2013 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Sep 162016

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

Car decelerates while driving almost stalling at times, I have taken it to the dealership several times and they state they cannot duplicate the problem but I don't think they tried since they had my vehicle for two days for diagnostics/testing driving and drove less than 10 miles. Vehicle is very unsafe. This is the 2nd Patriot I have owned and will be my last.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jul 192016

Patriot

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and the electronic stability control warning indicator illuminated. The contact shifted to neutral and continued driving. The past week, the same failure occurred daily. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the electronic stability control failed and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Oct 272015

Patriot

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Patriot. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled, jerked, and the exterior rear and front lights did not illuminate. The electronic throttle, check engine, and, electronic stability control warning indicators illuminated. In addition the vehicle made an abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the vehicle could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 29,580.

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

May 312015

Patriot

I was driving down the road and the power died, could not excelerate, check engine light came on and then the Jeep died, wouldn't start in the middle of traffic. Had to be towed to dealership.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 012015

Patriot

I noticed 4 weeks ago that my 2013 Jeep was skipping really bad. I took it to the dealership and they said that nothing was wrong with it. Now it skips and engine stalls. I have only had this Jeep for 6 months. I am scared to drive it, the dealership told me to wait till it throws a light and then they can put it on a machine to find out what the problem is. In the meantime I am driving around my 15 month grand daughter. Something needs to be done about this before some one ends up dead.

- Danville , VA, USA

Mar 252015

Patriot

Engine stalled while driving at 70 mph on the hwy! it just stopped without warning! car would not start until nearly two hrs later. We were very lucky we didn't get hurt or worse and were able to coast to the shoulder. I had a small child in the car that rides with me daily, please investigate and recall, we are all lucky to be alive! taking it to the dealership tomorrow because they wouldn't take it sooner because they said I didn't have an apt! they said w/O any lights on they prob. Wont do anything! please help before someone dies!

- Anniston, AL, USA

Jul 272014

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

While traveling at 75 mph on cruise control on I-27 just South of amarillo tx, the engine of the 2013 Jeep Patriot shut off. I was able to make to the shoulder of the road without further incident and was able to avoid other cars on the highway. The car would not restart. Had to request that the car be towed to amarillo tx. Waited 3 hours for a tow truck at which time the car started. However, unsure if the incident would occur again, I had the car towed to amarillo. There a technician said that he discovered codes of P0120 and P2135. He said it appeared as if everything reset and that there was not an issue with the car. However, due to the nature of the incident, it could happen again at any time.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Dec 122012

Patriot 4-cyl

Vehicle stalls without warning and leaves the driver without power steering, loss of all control until the car is restarted. When slowing down from higher speeds with clutch pushed in the car stalls. It is a random problem. First time - as I was slowing down to make a turn I pushed in the clutch then the brake and started to make my turn and about to put the car into second gear, I realized I had no control since the car stalled while in the middle of the turn with traffic coming. I was able to get the car started again and get out of the way of oncoming traffic. This has happened dozens of times. From the first week of driving, this has been a problem. It is hard to recreate the problem since it catches the driver by surprise each time. Each time the driver is left without control. This is a major safety issue.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Aug 142013

Patriot 4-cyl

The car had 1/4 of a tank of gas. While driving up a hill just outside of flagstaff, AZ the engine stalled and stopped running. The car would not start even after sitting for at least an hour. At the dealership the car started right up. The dealership in flagstaff said that it had run out of gas because of a design flaw and that they have seen this before. They told us that even though there was gas in the tank if it is less than half full and you go up a hill this will happen. It was scary as there was no power steering or power brakes. It was lucky that there was no traffic on the road near us at the time. Jeep did a recall of the Patriots in 2012 for a similar problem and it seems to me that the design problem was not fixed in the 2013 models.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 172013

Patriot 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 23,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 202013

Patriot 4-cyl

As my wife was pulling into our driveway and braking to park the car, the engine sped up and all 4 wheels were spinning extremely fast causing her to thrust forward. She was not in 4 wheel drive mode at the time. She stepped on the brakes harder to see if she could stop the vehicle but the vehicle continued to increase speed and lunged out of control.the only way she thought she could stop the wheels from spinning was to put the vehicle into park. Even though she put the vehicle in park, the wheels continued to spin and the only reason the vehicle stopped moving forward was because she hit a tree. The wheels continued to spin after she hit the tree and the car was still in park and the only way to stop them from spinning was when she shut down the ignition. There was extensive front end damage and the airbags never deployed. The console lights were flickering on and off as this was happening. My wife had concerns with this before as she went to slow down or stop the vehicle at other times she felt the engine speed surge. This has happened on numerous occasions.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA