2016 Jeep Patriot miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Patriot:

2016 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Jul 222016

I was driving on a city street around 2:30 pm when I notice smoke coming out from under my hood. I pulled off to a safe spot and by this time II could see the fire coming out of the front of my Jeep. Three fire inspectors looked at it and are unable to determine the cause of the fire. However, a Jeep mechanic also looked at it and believes the fire started behind the battery. The Jeep is totaled. Still waiting on reports from the insurance company. Cynthia I just wanted to give you an update. We did hire some people who went out and also were not able to fully determine the fire. I am having a hard time getting in contact with Chrysler. I will keep trying and let you know what they tell me. Depending on what they tell me we might move forward with more investigation. I will keep you updated. From progressive claim #161737586 agent amy etta ph. 503-495-4507

- Clackamas, OR, USA

Apr 112016

Purchased this Jeep in March. It is now just a little over a month later and already this Jeep has been in the shop twice for water leaking into the rear dome light, filling the light fixture with water, and when you make a turn the water will leak out of the dome light and onto the rear of the vehicle all over the carpeted area where items are stored. Both times I have noticed the water it has been in the morning after it has rained at night and I am opening the hatch to put my belongings inside. Twice already in the shop for this same issue and I my first car payment isn't even due!

- Groton, NY, USA

Nov 022015

There is an approximately 1/2 second delay from when the horn switch is pressed to when the horn sounds. This is a dangerous safety hazard and has already resulted in my experiencing 3 near misses since taking ownership of the vehicle (in October 2015). The failure of the horn to sound when needed caused me to take evasive maneuvers because the other drivers didn't hear it in time. November 2015 in hoboken New Jersey I was heading North on Washington street at 25 mph when someone started to back out of a curb facing parking spot. The driver apparently didn't see me and proceeded to pull out. I held down the horn but by the time it sounded the driver was too close and was about to T-bone me. I had to drive onto to wrong side of the road to avoid him. Luckily no one was approaching in the opposite direction. Again in November of 2015 I was heading North on us route 202, doing about 30 mph in a 40 mph zone in parsippany New Jersey. A car shoots out of a corporate park driveway headed straight toward me. I held down the horn and again it sounded about a half a second later, too late for the oncoming driver to realize it. We both slammed on the brakes when we saw each other and luckily there was no accident. December 2015 in wayne New Jersey heading West on preakness avenue (one lane in each direction) I approached a curve to the right traveling at 25 mph. The driver of an oncoming car (on the other side of the road) crossed over the double yellow lines onto my side of the road. I held down the horn and it didn't sound until the other driver almost hit me. Luckily there was a small shoulder on my side and I was able to quickly move my right two wheels onto it and avoid the collision. Jeep and the dealership I purchased the vehicle from state that this behavior is normal as the horn is designed to use the vehicle's computer. No horn should use the computer.

- Wayne, NJ, USA