Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 Jeep Renegade has a very large volume of complaints for such a new model, especially compared to other SUVs in the same class.

Most Jeep Renegade complaints are for various problems with interior accessories & electrical systems, as well as squealing brakes, transmission (rough shifting) and engine problems.

2015 Jeep Renegade engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Renegade:

2015 Jeep Renegade Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 082016

Approximately one month after purchasing my 2015 Jeep Renegade trailhawk, I began having trouble with the electrical system. The battery has died four times, the key fob(s) work intermittently, the engine has shut off on its own, the clock continuously resets the date/time, and the windows have stopped working once. I have been forced to use Jeep's roadside assistance twice due to dead batteries. This weekend, the heater stopped working and it does not turn on. These continuous problems substantially impairs both the use and value of my car. Additionally, it presents a significant safety concern for my family; winter is upon us and my wife utilizes this vehicle to Transport our two children, whom are each under the age of three years old. The thought of them being stranded with no heater due to continuous electrical issues is unnerving. I initially considered this to be an isolated incident; however, I've asked two additional 2015 Jeep Renegade owners if they have encountered any similar instances - both have returned their Renegade to the dealership for servicing due to electrical issues. The dealership informed them the vehicle simply needed a software update. This is not a satisfactory response!

- Columbia, MD, USA

Sep 052016

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Renegade. While driving 2 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the dipstick showed no oil in the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The dealer was not able to produce a fault code for the vehicle stalling. The contact was also informed that the oil consumption was normal. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- West Point, KY, USA

Oct 192015

Salesman said they could make it like the one we wanted (we picked by color) but they would have to add remote start and heated seats. We picked it up noticing they butchered the seat putting in heated seats. We get home with it and shut it off mind you this is brand new, to wake up in the middle of the night cause I hear a car running in the garage its the Jeep. They tell me the remote start does it if battery is low. So I start parking it outside as not to die from carbon monoxide poisoning to find it outside running every night. At 1200 miles the rear end starts growling and transmission won't shift and it randomly shuts off going down the highway. Its the remote starter they say so they remove it. They gave it back to me with my money back. Does it again 3 more times and took it in 3 more times for shutting off on highway, rear end growling still and transmission not shifting. Get it back we couldn't find anything wrong with it but we did updates to the computer and transmission. Next day radio starts changing stations on its own as I record it with my phone, lights going off and on, windows not working and still not shifting. They replaced rear end pig, radio, wiring harness as they said the guy bent a pin installing remote starter. Then at 17,000 miles rear end and transmission start doing it again and the shorting comes back, new rear pinion at another dealership, new radio again as the other one shorted out, transmission still not shifting. Filed for lemon law Chrysler comes back with the car is fine its due to the after market equipment I had installed. Your dealer ship is who had it installed brand new vehicle. Still have problems with transmission not shifting or taking off when pushing gas pedal. Stuck with this junk cause they won't take it back. Called lawyers and they said love to help but that was a one and done deal. Never buy Chrysler again.

- Parma, MI, USA

Aug 292016

Purchased vehicle in July 2015, with 12 miles on the odometer. Vehicle died while in motion at approximately 12 mph on May 2016. Had full electrical power, but engine would not turn over and ignition did not even make "click" noise. Towed by fca 24H service to the closest dealership (and not the one I bought it from and requested it go to). After 3 days was told that it needed oil, oil changed was performed, and that it was fine. Oil started "disappearing" - no leak, wasn't burning. Oil pressure light would come on continuously. Called fca to alert to problem and ask warranty questions. Was told to put oil in and that there were no problems with 2015 Renegades; warned rep that continued driving with no oil would seize engine. Called original dealership and was told to replicate the problem. Was able to replicate problem - engine seized, with only 9288 miles on it, on Aug 29 2016 while entering neighborhood at appx.15 mph - first started shaking and rumbling loudly, sputtering and dying while in motion, engine light came on and would not start after that. Had towed to original purchase dealership. Was first told was a cylinder head and that was oil in the spark plug sockets and elsewhere (lucky it did not catch on fire while I was driving). Week later was told that a whole new engine would have to go in, as it was seized. Engine has finally been replaced after 30 days, as dealer had to wait for fca approval. Now out of pocket almost $400 for vehicle rentals and towing, despite fca promises to provide. Filed for buy back process and given run around. Have not had my vehicle for a total of 37 days this year - 35 which are consecutive. Still waiting for fca response; have called several times and rep will not return my calls. Stay far away from any fca produced vehicle that has the 9 speed automatic transmission.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 032016

Renegade when in motion going 40mph and encounters a hill/increase in grade, will not shift into next gear. The vehicle is stuck in the lower gear @ 40mph as the engine rev's over 3,000rpm but the vehicle won't accelerate and won't kick-in the higher gear. Have to nearly press the accelerator to the floor to force the vehicle to ramp the RPM's to 4-5,000 to get it to shift into the correct gear. Feels like I'm going to blow the engine when I have to do this but it won't shift into gear. This has been happening consistently for over a month. Called dealership, they said there are several software updates for the Renegade, so try that and see if it fixes the issue. Took to dealership today for 7 software updates.

Sep 062016

When trying to accelerate from a stop, car hesitates to the point of almost stalling for several seconds then lurches/jerks forward, running rough for several seconds as it finally starts moving forward. Dangerous when pulling out into traffic; the vehicle is immobile as it hesitates/stalls! has not completely shut down yet but hesitates long enough that it feels like it will. Called dealership, they said there were more software updates for the 2015 Renegade. Took in today to be serviced; 7 flash software updates which included a transmission update. The dealer said to see if it drives better after the software updates. Scary!

Sep 062016

The vehicles traction control light comes on during normal driving causing loss of throttle an power making you exit to shoulder or sometimes after 10 sec or so the power will return. Car does not die it just takes throttle control away while traction light flashes. This is all during normal dry conditions and normal driving. I have also seen a huge amount of this same issue on the forums. My vehicle has been in the dealership service department four times and they have no fix yet. It is very unsafe and my wife is afraid to drive her brand new Jeep. It's really ridiculous that we have to deal with all this an no one seems to care until someone gets killed because of the issues. And if this doesn't get corrected someone is going to get hurt or killed in a car accident. This problem occurs on a regular basis but it's hard to recreate on the spot so it's impossible to get the dealer to believe it is happening but if you search the web there is tons of info on this issue.

- De Soto, IA, USA

Aug 102016

I purchased the first model of the Jeep Renegade in May 2015. It has remote keyless entry. In the past year, the keyless entry has stopped working 7 times. It had to be towed to the dealer 4 times. There is no way to start the car, even when you take the metal part of the key and touch it to the start button. I've been stranded without a vehicle each time. Jeep says they've never seen this happen before but I've read multiple Jeep forums stating that this is a known problem. For a brand new car, this is a major defect. The second to last time it was brought to the dealer, they switched the battery and said that would fix it. Two months later, the same problem came back. They don't know how to fix this issue and my car is unsafe to drive for fear that I could be stuck somewhere without cell service. Each time this happens, the car is parked and off. I never know when the issue is going to occur, it happened twice last week and the first time it got towed to the dealer. By the time it got there, the dealer said there was no issue starting the car and they couldn't replicate the problem so there was no fix.

- Waltham, MA, USA

May 092016

I was driving at a steady speed on a highway when the engine cut out for a few seconds, then started again. It has happened 3 times. I have a standard transmission (stick shift).

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 012016

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Renegade. The contact stated that the emergency brakes turned on voluntarily while driving. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred when the vehicle was off. In addition, the vehicle failed to start when the ignition key was turned to power on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was informed that the failure was located at the engine. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,600.

- Lewiston, ID, USA

Aug 232015

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Renegade. While driving 25 mph, a loud squealing sound was heard from the front driver side wheel. In addition, it took multiple attempts to start the vehicle and the instrument panel failed. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 500.

- Marina, CA, USA

Feb 222016

2015 Jeep Renegade: Vehicle shifts hard; like a canon. Took vehicle in to dealer and they said it just needed an update. Problem still not fixed. Vehicle makes a ringing sound like a phone when at highway speeds of 65 miles per hour. Vehicle rattles a lot especially in the speaker areas and also the driver side seatbelt area. When I took it in to the dealer to have them figure out the rattles they said that they could not find it. The seats do not heat up well. When it is turned on high, it feels like it is on the low setting still. When the steering when is being turned at any speed it makes a creaking sound.

- Everett, WA, USA

Apr 262016

Engine failed while driving on freeway.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 232016

While driving, there was a loud pop, the vehicle then lost power, the engine compartment caught fire, then the fire consumed the entire vehicle.

- Hilton Head, SC, USA

Nov 282015

2 weeks after buying my brand new Renegade, it completely shut off on the freeway & I had to coast over 3 lanes of traffic to the shoulder. Not only did my Jeep leave me stranded, I could have been ran over at 80 miles an hour. Just before shutting down, my car would not shift gears and began to lose speed even though the rpms were hitting the red marks. It was serviced, and given 2 software updates. A week later, the same thing happened. You can push the gas pedal to the floor, but the vehicle does not accelerate, instead it dies, however the RPM's go up as high as they can go but my car won't shift gears. Now it is in the shop (for over a week), supposedly getting a new fuel pump, which I do not think is the ultimate problem. I have read about the 9 speed automatic problems and this is exactly what keeps happening. After putting me in danger twice, I feel certain as soon as I get my new fuel pump and drive home, this will break down again. I have had the Jeep one month, brand new.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 022015

On October 2, 2015 I was driving down a city street near my home. As I came to a stoplight the engine cut off without warning. There were no warning lights or messages on the dashboard, the engine simply cut off. I tried to restart the vehicle, and received the message 'shift to park, then to drive. at this point I was a hazard in the road that other vehicles had to swerve to avoid. I was able to get the engine restarted and traveled approximately mile to a spot where I could turn around. As I turned onto a side street the engine again cut off without warning. I was able to coast to the side street to a safe parking spot. After about 15 mins I was able to start the vehicle again and drive it mile to my home where I had the vehicle towed to the Jeep dealership service center. The dealership kept my vehicle for nearly a week, but was unable to find anything wrong. They stated to me that they attached the Chrysler computer diagnostic and found no errors registered and that they inspected the vehicle and found nothing wrong. They also stated that they drove it for 10 miles and could not get the issue to repeat, so they told me to pick up the vehicle and continue driving it. On Oct 9 the vehicle lost power while turning, but the engine did not shut off and again displayed no warning lights. On Oct 15 the engine again cut off, but this time on an incline and almost rolled into oncoming traffic. We brought the vehicle back to the dealership and discovered there was no oil in the engine. My safety concerns with the Renegade are as follows:1) none of the engine sensing systems registered the low oil, 2) if the low oil level triggered the engine safety cutoff why was this not registered in the vehicle's fault log, and 3) after the engine safety cutoff was triggered and there were no error or check engine messages of any kind. They could find no record of any problems.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 212015

My transmission had been slipping in the lower gears, and especially when I turned corners. Finally the car got stuck in 5th gear, and barely goes when I hit the gas. Both the transmission and engine light came on. I am taking it in.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 152015

I have had two incidents of my Jeep Renegade(9 speed automatic) stalling on me when stopped and in drive and when in park. The engine would shutter intermittently. I notice that when in park the tachometer would rev up without the gas pedal being pressed down. I would have to put car in park at stops or red lights to restart car and put back into drive to get going. Even then the car would lag trying to get back up to speed. It would shutter when driving at low mph. This is horrible and I am afraid I will get into an accident. My dealership service department could not find anything wrong with it when I had the problem the first time( after I drove right of the lot). So here it is a month and half later and the problem has returned but worse than before. I am taking the car back to service again. However, I am going to ask for them to tow Jeep because this car is unpredictable right now to be driven safely!

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Jul 282015

Purchased the car on 7/28/15 thinking that this would be one solid reliable vehicle. Day 3 after 130 miles, the service engine light came on on its own, the four wheel drive went back to a two wheel drive. Although vehicle didn't stop or jolt in the middle of highway but could feel the sudden loss of power. Took it to dealer, still sitting there, apparently needs a whole transmission component replacement and some harness replaced. Super unreliable car! not sure if it will do same thing again. Glad it didn't stop in middle of highway! Jeep needs to recall these vehicles before somebody dies! not sure why safety officials are not taking this seriously yet even after so many complaints on a brand new model car!

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jun 012015

Bought Renegade sport fwd April 28, 2015. 1. door locks/key-fob stopped working by June 1st. Took to dealer, said Chrysler knew of issue, trying to get a "permanent" fix, but a temp fix was to re-set the computer system; they did and it lasted less than 2 hours. Have to use key to unlock driver door, then reach around and unlock/lock the other 3 doors by hand once inside the car. "luckily", the key-fob still locks/unlocks the rear lift gate. 2. rear wiper blade turns on randomly when front wipers are on. Only way to stop the rear wiper is to turn off the front wipers, wait a few seconds, then turn them back on. 3. car sat for 3 days (July 15-17), and battery completely drained/dead. Key stuck in ignition. Called road side assistance, they tried to jump it with a jump-box, Jeep wouldn't turn over, so had to jump with the tow truck's battery connected to jumper cables and after several minutes, the electrical gadgets started to work, and several minutes later on the charge, it finally turned over. 4. car transmission "jerking" when driving slowly out of my driveway (approx. 5 mph). This has happened several times.