CarComplaints.com Notes: Be warned the previous model year (2015) Jeep Renegade has a large number of complaints reported by owners. Time will tell whether the 2016 Renegade has the same issues.

8.8

2016 Jeep Renegade brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Renegade:

2016 Jeep Renegade Owner Comments

Nov 182016

Renegade

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Renegade. When the contact started the vehicle after filling up the fuel tank, the check engine and electronic stability control warning indicators illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart on the first attempt; however, the failure recurred. In addition, the vehicle made an abnormal sound and the emergency brake would not release. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed. The dealer recommended to have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and to check the dip stick every time the vehicle was filled with fuel. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 5,870.

- Rockport, MA, USA

Nov 112016

Renegade

This happened 2 times today. The first occurrence happened when turning left at an intersection to merge onto a highway. At 15 mph during the (obtuse) left turn I switched the vehicle to 2nd gear and the traction control light blinked a few times while cutting power to my engine. The vehicle behind me saw this and thankfully didn't hit me. The 2nd time happened as I was taking a left into a shopping center. While stationary I started releasing the clutch while applying gas in 1st gear. The traction control light blinked a few times and cut power again while in the middle of traffic, but this time there were vehicles coming towards me. Luckily the vehicle restored power in time for me not to get T-boned. This is a good vehicle but the traction control is seriously flawed.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 202016

Renegade

My traction control light will start blinking and cut my acceleration, while turning left sporadically whether at a complete stop or still moving and normally just on dry asphalt. I have had the vehicle into the dealership 3 times. The first time was for 2 days, and they said there was an update, this didn't fix the issue. The next time was 1 week later for 5 days where they drove my vehicle and advised they could only produce this incident once, and said the problem was with the ABS software having the wrong download.the dealership also advised that the vehicle did not know there was a problem because there was no error code in the computer. The 3rd time was 2 days after I picked up, and the vehicle was kept for 7 days, where they drove my car all week and were not able to replicate. After having the vehicle back for 4 days it started up again, and now does it almost every day. The dealership advised there is nothing they can do, and Jeep/Chrysler were not helpful either. I have noticed now when I have another person in the front seat that the traction control will start blinking and cut the acceleration going right. I have also noticed that you have to be around 20 mph or higher around a curve for this to happen when you are not at a complete stop.

- Clinton, NY, USA

Oct 172016

Renegade

Loss of acceleration/power when turning right or left on dry surfaces. Traction control module comes on when this happens. Instrument panel flashes that the back brake lights are out and the right/left hand turn signals not working. Happens when starting vehicle and stays on until you shut off car a few times.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Sep 212016

Renegade

After making a left turn on a dry paved road the traction control light rapidly flashed and power was lost for 5-10 seconds. Dangerous issue. Took to service shop they can not replicate

- Madison, OH, USA

Sep 082016

Renegade

On 3 or 4 occasions while driving my Jeep Renegade latitude 4 X 4 9 speed less than 2,000 miles. In dry conditions my Jeep anti traction light will come on the dash, and I lose all power for 5-10 seconds. It stops, no gas. It doesnt shut off, it loses all power. Last time I was approaching a red light and slowing down, the lights changed to green, I turned on my blinker to turn left going less than 10 miles an hour and it happened in the middle of the turn with a car behind me my Jeep stopped in the middle of the street dead for 5-10 seconds. I thought I would be rear ended since it was abrupt.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 102016

Renegade

2016 Jeep Renegade traction control - while making a left hand turn the vehicle's traction control light began blinking on and off and there was loss of power/acceleration. Once the light went off the vehicle began to move again. This has happened 3 or 4 times, while turning or driving on a slight hill. The loss of power is a major safety issue as when turning, you are crossing traffic. The driving conditions were dry, smooth road.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Jul 052016

Renegade

Traction control engaging too aggressively. Tc seems to come one when not needed during turns and the engine loses power.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jul 212016

Renegade 4-cyl

Twice now with less that 950 miles on my vehicle the vehicle the traction control has engaged on clean dry pavement, stopped at a stop signed and turned right each time and at about 5 mph the traction control engaged and engaged what seemed like a engine brake to decelerate the engine. This is a safety hazard and many people are reporting the issue on social media sites and forums for this vehicle.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 152016

Renegade

Multiple times when taking off from a stop, under completely dry conditions with clean pavement, the vehicle traction control system has kicked in. The only way to get it to turn off has been to come to a complete stop again, which is very dangerous when pulling out onto a 55mph highway.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Mar 032016

Renegade 4-cyl

My car "service engine" light came on as well as a message on the dashboard with the words "safety assist" and "security". I immediately brought the car to the dealer. After 2 days in the shop, they said it was (as posted on the paperwork released to me) "cylinder 3 misfire and cold start rough start. Found cylinder 3 plug fouled out poss from moving vehicle all winter without ever driving vehicle. Replaced #3 spark plug, swapped coil #3 with coil #2 to see if misfire moves to cylinder #2. this way if condition is not resolved, I will know if coil is bad or engine has a mechanical problem. Rfh flashed and ABS flashed" they released the car to me and said it was fixed and safe. Upon driving to work at 5 am, in the dark, I had no exterior lights and could only use my high beams if I held them on. I had no back lights. Cars approached very close to my car and I had no idea why. When I got to work, I had another worker check the back of my car and there were no back lights or brake lights. I called the dealer and left a message and dropped the car off after work. After further review, they have now told me the engine needs to be replaced....on a 2016 car. Ridiculous. Thank you

- Stony Point, NY, USA