Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Be warned the previous model year (2015) Jeep Renegade has a large number of complaints reported by owners. Time will tell whether the 2016 Renegade has the same issues.

2016 Jeep Renegade electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Renegade:

2016 Jeep Renegade Owner Comments

Aug 302016

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Renegade. The contact stated that the vehicle would independently start without inserting the key in the ignition. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,700. See also 10904646.

- Perry, IA, USA

Jun 182016

My car stopped brand new in the middle of the freeway on the first road trip from California to Utah driving at 80mph (there are some parts in Utah where that's the speed limit) and it almost caused an accident driving on I-15 since there were 18 wheelers driving next to me and lost complete control of the car I had to get out of the car and push it to the shoulder, luckily all the drivers were able to stop for me to do it.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Jul 052016

Traction control engaging too aggressively. Tc seems to come one when not needed during turns and the engine loses power.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jun 152016

Multiple times when taking off from a stop, under completely dry conditions with clean pavement, the vehicle traction control system has kicked in. The only way to get it to turn off has been to come to a complete stop again, which is very dangerous when pulling out onto a 55mph highway.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jul 212016

I purchased my Jeep in may and it only has 2000 + miles on it. While driving today the parking brake engaged automatically. It did it again 3 times on the freeway while I was on my way to the dealership about it. Every time I slowed down for a car it would engage and send that error. This will be the second time in a month I have had to take it to the dealership for issues. The first one was the overhead console was not working at all.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jul 012016

We purchased a brand new 2016 Jeep Renegade latitude on June 11, 2016. On July 1, 2016 at approximately 400 miles the car began to malfunction. On July 1, the vehicle was started via the push-start ignition and ran until the windshield wipers were powered on, at which point the car shook violently, several dash indicator lights came on (engine, parking break, etc.) and the car continued to idle heavily and shutter until the engine killed. Upon restarting, only the engine light was showing, so my husband began to drive it to the dealership. Approximately 3 miles later, at top speeds of 40 mph the car's accelerator and power steering failed and he veered off of a two-way highway into a field. The car was towed to the dealership where they "updated the computer" and sent us on our way without acknowledging the extreme safety hazard regarding the finicky computer system that controls the car and can fail at any moment without warning. On July 15, the satellite radio searched for a signal for several hours, with no other symptoms. On July 17, the car failed again, upon ignition. Several dashboard indicator lights came on the and the car could not be shifted into any gear. On July 18 the car would start, but not shift, and again, has been towed to the dealership for service. Today is July 18, so now we're playing a game of "wait and see" if another computer update will "fix" this death-trap of a vehicle. I feel like this car is a hazard to us and anyone around us on the road or sidewalks where we may be forced to veer off to avoid a collision if the system fails again. There needs to be a recall on this vehicle, immediately, before people are injured or die due to a defect that the dealerships and Jeep are obviously aware of, but refusing to acknowledge.

- Waggaman, LA, USA