2.3

2001 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Wrangler:

2001 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Sep 042014

Wrangler

I went to start Jeep thought dead battery and tried to charge battery guages on dash jumped around finally battery enough to turn over but would not start saw warning lite for key on dash.engine would turn over but not start.took to jepp dealer replaced computer module and found corroded main power feed in engine wiring harness spliced in new wire and serial data all came back.I was returning home just pulling into driveway engine lite came on along with other lites engine stalled tried to start same problem as before.returned Jeep to dealer currently waiting for answer to problem computer does not accept my key?I brought this Jeep used that is why I am looking into any recalls or known problems of this nature.

- Harpursville, NY, USA

Sep 012008

Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler sport, 4.0L was purchased as subsequent owner in 2003(?) in san juan, puerto rico. The problem appeared in maybe 2008 after moving to panama city (panamá). an airbag warning light was observed, intermittently, when first starting. Usually a second attempt was successful. Grupo Q Chrysler Jeep replaced the ignition switch, at my expense. I was unaware that Chrysler daimler had recalled these vehicles for ignition switch problems in 2003/04, I think. My research revealed that GM/ac-delco was oeming these switches to Chrysler-daimler, and maybe others. The only thing I experienced was an annoyance, but those symptoms seemed to suggest that I may have been driving with disabled air-bags, had I not noticed the light, or if had been non-functional. The question is how many people might still be driving non-GM cars with these defective switches, and why has this not been publicized?

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Aug 052014

Wrangler

The blower motor switch ground, connected to the mode selector has melted in my Jeep. This is the second time this has happened. Back in July 2013 the connection to the mode selector melted. I replaced the HVAC ac A/C & heater control with blower motor switch only to have it melt again one year later.

- Upland, CA, USA

Mar 082012

Wrangler

Looks like there was a small fire behind the heater controls all the wires and the back of the switches are melted this is the second time the fan motor control switch has been melted.

- Middletown, OH, USA

Jul 312012

Wrangler 6-cyl

The dash blower control was not working. When the mechanic check it and the system, it was discovered that the blower had over heated the pigtail connectors and melted them. The blower control was visibly melted and multiple signs of overheating were apparent. The blower control, all pigtail connectors and the blower had to be replaced. This was caught just short of me having to deal with a fire being caused by this over heating of the electrical parts of the A/C-heater system. This is the same situation as reported in other complaints. Refer to ODI id numbers: 10364281, 10283272, 10181912 and 10145512.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Nov 062010

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

This is one more consumer complaint regarding the heater/fan/blower wiring design failure for the 2001 model of the Jeep Wrangler. I understand that this continues to occur in other tj model years as well so I think it is a systemic design problem that if not corrected by the manufacturer will eventually cause a serious injury or death. My case is typical of the failures described by other 2001 Wrangler owners in that the heater blower fan switch began to drop speeds until only the highest speed was left operational [which I understand is how the underlying electronics specifically a resistor bank fail in this model]. recently, this 4th speed has failed and I am not driving the vehicle until I can receive some assurance that the heater blower will not continue to heat up until it catches fire as has been reported in other instances. As I write this complaint, it is about 25 degrees outside, so driving my 2001 Wrangler without heat is not an option. I guess I am lucky that (a) it failed completely in cold weather forcing me to (B) research the issue learning that (C) this obvious vehicle defect can result in the Wrangler catching fire which has forced me to (D) go without the use of the Wrangler until a factory designed and sponsored fix is engineered and installed. So, in summary, 2001 Wrangler ¿ failed heater/fan/blower switch ¿ many other cases for this model year and surrounding model years ¿ has a history of causing vehicle fires ¿ this needs to be a factory sponsored re-engineer and recall, and needs to be done now before a fire situation causes a serious accident or injury or death !

- Shillington, PA, USA

Aug 202009

Wrangler

There is a serious product defect in the fan motor-switch-resister assembly in my 2001 Jeep Wrangler. This condition has been repaired seven times, six times unsuccessfully (the first time was in 2004, the year I bought my Jeep from a dealership) and the last one accomplished August 20, 2009 and who knows how long this will last. The problem is that the fan switch suddenly fails to operate and when the matter is investigated the mechanic finds that the blower motor, relay and switch have melted. There is some sort of electrical problem or surge which six repairs have failed to correct and my fear is my Jeep will catch on fire as has been reported in a number of cases.

- Concord, NH, USA