2004 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Wrangler:

2004 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Oct 132011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Sudden onset of violent front end and steering wheel vibration, requiring 2 hands tightly gripping the steering wheel to coax it onto the shoulder. 5 incidents in 8 months at 60mph on both smooth and rough pavement. Narrowly missed smashing into a cement barrier, tractor trailer and car during 3 of the 5 incidents.

- Temple, TX, USA

Apr 082012

Wrangler

I own a Jeep Wrangler X 2004. I have experienced the Jeep "death wobble" on numerous occassions in the past year. This past Sunday being the worst. I have had my entire front end replaced with no results. I have been searching the internet for answers and every suggestion that I have found has already been done on my Jeep. We have spoken with a Jeep mechanic that we know and he stated that it is a "known problem" and they do not know how to fix it. At this point I am extremely frustrated and I am looking for answers. I have found a website for congresswoman eshoo and I am aware of the request for an investigation into this matter. Please, I hope that you are taking this matter very seriously. This is a very scary and dangerous problem that is occuring in Jeep.

- Tarrytown , NY, USA

Mar 052012

Wrangler

Like so many, I've now experienced the infamous 'death wobble.' The vehicle starts to violently shake after hitting a bump and becomes essentially unable to be controlled. All you can do is brake hard and hope to stay in your lane/on the road as you decelerate. After spending many hours on the internet and at the place where I purchased it, things are no better. This seems like an obvious design flaw and renders the vehicle unsafe. Jeep seems to have no interest in fixing the problem and it's hard to believe that nobody has been killed because of it. I wish I had known about this as I now have an unsafe and unusable vehicle that nobody seems to know how to fix. There is a tsb out regarding this issue, but Jeep keeps that information 'secret'. I cannot imagine why there hasn't been a recall, if I keep driving this vehicle, it's not a question of 'if' I'm going to wreck it, it's a matter of 'when' it's going to occur.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Oct 182011

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

The problem has occurred several times since Oct 18, 2011. The Jeep experienced the "death wobble" whereby the Jeep' wheels suddenly began to wobble to the point that one almost must slow down immediately. The condition appears to be quite common with the Jeep Wrangler. Portable received via U.S. mail. A portion of the complaint was illegible. 02/28/12 updated 02/28/12

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

Dec 152011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Power steering pressure hose develops leaks at the crimped connection. Power steering fluid can come in contact with hot engine components.

- San Bernardino , CA, USA

Jul 152009

Wrangler 6-cyl

Multiple incidents of violent vibration in the vehicle front end, including the steering wheel and front wheels, are occurring after hitting a minor pot hole in the road. Incidents occur at highways speeds, normally 45 - 55 mph. The driver must reduce speed to near zero in order to recover safe and effective control of the vehicle. This vehicle defect appears to be the well-known and major safety issue in Jeep Wrangler vehicles known as "the death wobble". I purchased this vehicle new from a Jeep dealership and have had it professionally maintained per the manufacturer's instructions since the day I bought it. My spouse and I have both experienced this defect several times in the past few years, most recently on December 15, 2011. At this point, we've had the vehicle inspected several times and replaced a number of components on the vehicle, including the steering damper, four shock absorbers, and all 4 tires., in addition, the suspension has been inspected numerous times in the past 3 years. Given the shear number of similar complaints by other owners, I feel that this is an obvious manufacturer defect that should be acknowledged and corrected by the manufacturer.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Jan 212006

Wrangler 6-cyl

Steering wobbles at speeds 40 to 55mph and is especially worse after hitting a bump. This happens every day and not once in a while. Very scary when you have no control because it shakes so bad. It actually gives you little or no control over the vehicle. Have had tires balanced and rotated the steering damper replaced. Have had it looked at several times and no one really knows what to do about it. It is a life and death situation and feel that nothing will be done about it until someone is actually killed. Looking at blogs there are many people who experienced the same thing known as the death wobble.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 182011

Wrangler

My 2004 Wrangler rubicon has a violent wobble/shake at 55-60 mph. The wobble is so violent I have to immediately brake and it stops around 40. I have had it aligned and balanced. I was considering pouring more into the repair but after reading all of the complaints I fell it is not worth the effort. The Jeep is stock and I am the original owner. I am going to approach the dealer but since it is out of warranty I have the feeling it is going to be in vain.

- Saint Joseph, MO, USA

Jun 032011

Wrangler

The multifunction switch with the fog lights cuts the lights on when the driver does not put the on. When the vehicle is sitting still, the fog lights will flip on, when I apply the signal light on the fog light switch pops on. I had to remove the fuse to get the fog lights off.

- Austinville, VA, USA

Aug 102011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Front end of my 2007 Jeep Wrangler unlimited has dangerous wobble between 50 and 60 miles per hour. Tires are good, tires have been balanced but the problem remains. Usually triggered by a bump in the road.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 102010

Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler (2004) has the steering shake violently when driven over 45mph. No dealership or garage could resolve the problem. I spent over $2000 in new tires all new steering components and suspension as well as wheels to fix a problem the company refuses to acknowledge exists so they can continue to support their unions rediculios commands while putting me and other drivers at risk.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. While driving over 55 mph, the contact stated that the vehicle would begin to shake violently. The dealer and manufacturer were notified, but denied assistance with repairs to the failure. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 58,500.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

May 252011

Wrangler

Severe shaking (coined death wobble) at 55 mph. This has happened (3) times. I have replaced steering dampener, front end alignment, (4) new tires all within last week. There are countless complaints for this same problem, yet no resolution to be found. There seems to be with all of the complaints a "head in sand" mentality hoping that this will go away. I'm shocked, after the experience of trying to get veh off of highway during this event, that there have not been any fatalities.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jan 012011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 to 65 mph, he noticed that the front wheels would wobble violently. The vehicle was inspected by the dealer and they advised him that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 31,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Agusta, KS, USA

Jan 102011

Wrangler

I purchased a used 2004 Jeep Wrangler 5 months ago. It had only 15K miles on it. Shortly after purchase it began shaking violently between the speeds of 55-60, and when there are road imperfections. I had the tires balanced. No fix. The shop kept the Jeep for three days last week and cannot locate the source of the problem. Appears this is a "death wobble" issue from the strongly-documented cases in Jeep Wrangler. There appears to be no permanent fix. There have been no recalls that I can find. I owe for this vehicle that I cannot even drive!

- Scottsville, VA, USA

Apr 182011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. It has what I found, listed on the internet forums, described as a "death wobble". this is an extreme shaking of the steering at speeds between 55 and 65. It is so severe that I had to pull off of the freeway and stop before the shaking would stop. No one seems to know how to permanently solve the problem. It is very dangerous.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Dec 092010

Wrangler

When traveling West bound on I-10 through phoenix, after hitting slight bump in the highway, my steering wheel began to shake violently for approximately 5 to 10 seconds. I immediately began to slow down and the powerful wobble subsided. I had an additional incident with powerful shaking in my steering wheel about a month later, again traveling at approximately 50 mph on an interstate highway. This sudden and unexpected shaking of the Jeep's front end is scary.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Apr 102011

Wrangler

I have a 2004 Wrangler rubicon - all stock, and have been experiencing what I've just come to realize is the death wobble for the past 8+ months. I've replaced all 4 tires, had alignment and balancing, just today had steering stabilizer replaced to no avail. The wobbling continued on the way home from the shop. Anytime I hit a bump, the front end starts to shake violently and I have to slow down to a near stop before I can proceed. This is very unsafe and should be addressed by Jeep. This is my daily ride to work and it is not safe!

- Riverview, FL, USA

Dec 202010

Wrangler

Front tire shimmy so bad that it can cause the car to go out of control. When a bump, pothole or railroad track is driven over that front tires wobble and shimmy so bad that it is difficult to maintain control of the car. There have been new tires, wheels, alignments and steering stabilizers installed but that has not stopped the shimmy. The car has 30,000 miles on it.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 202010

Wrangler

2004 Jeep Wrangler sport has an extreme violent shake causing entire front of vehicle to bounce off the ground at speeds between 45 - 60 mph.

- Troy, TX, USA