2005 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Wrangler:

2005 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Feb 202014

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

When I get gas the pump doesn't shut off and gas spills on the ground. It has happened multiple times at many different filling stations.

- Lake Tapps, WA, USA

Jul 152013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas erupts from fill tube when pump clicks off, spilling on side of vehicle and on ground, happens every time the pump is allowed to run until it automatically clicks off.

- St. George, UT, USA

Jul 152013

Wrangler

Gas erupts from fill tube when pump clicks off, spilling on side of vehicle and on ground. Happens whenever pump is allowed to run till it automatically clicks off.

- St. George, UT, USA

Apr 042014

Wrangler

While filling up at a gas station, the fuel pump did not "automatically shut off" and shot roughly 1/4 gallon of gasoline out on the side of the vehicle and on the ground. Thoroughly cleaned vehicle but still smelt gasoline vapors inside of the cab for 30 minutes with the window down. Did some research and found it is due to the vehicle's icv becoming stuck in the open position, which builds pressure inside of the gas tank, allowing the filler neck to fill with gasoline, and then releases the pressure which propells the gasoline out of the filler neck and onto the ground. In order to fix this problem I must replace the entire gas tank.

- Charles Town, WV, USA

Oct 252012

Wrangler

My contact with you today involves a fuel spit back problem during refueling on my 2005 Jeep Wrangler (tj). I am aware of many bulletins and recalls regarding this problem, my vehicle is included in one such bulletin however falls outside of any coverage for repair of this problem by the manufacturer. My question is; how can the manufacturer cover repairs and provide an extended or in some cases a lifetime warranty on this flaw for 2007 and 2008 vehicles and ignore all of the other model years that have the same flaw? this repair will cost me nearly one thousand dollars whereas some people get the problem resolved at no cost to them. Please help.

- Churchville, NY, USA

Mar 012012

Wrangler

Every time I fill-up, gas blows out of the filler neck, about 3 to 6 oz.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 012013

Wrangler

Tank overflows and sends gas flying through the air, all over the person pumping, and the ground, at every fill up.

- N. Stonington, CT, USA

Feb 102009

Wrangler

Spits fuel every time I fill up, no matter where or how slowly I fill it. 3-5 ounces of fuel spit back out every fill up, on first auto shut off occasionally fuel is expelled forcefully enough to splash on objects18-24 inches away.

- Eatonville, WA, USA

Feb 202014

Wrangler

When filling up the gas tank the gas pump automatically switches off when the tank is full (like it does with any other car), however with the Jeep gasoline immediately gushes out of the filler hole. I'd estimate that at least a pint to a quart of fuel spills (and sometimes sprays) out. If someone is standing near-by they will get soaked with gasoline. This doesn't always happen, but seems to be occurring more frequently. Not only is this an inconvenience, it's an environmental hazard and a fire risk. What happens if someone's pant-leg gets soaked in gasoline (as has happened to me) and then they pick-up a mild static charge when entering/ exiting the vehicle (which is not uncommon). Someone is going to get hurt. I cannot let anyone put gas in the Jeep (like my wife). Anyone who is not familiar with this 'quirk' will likely get soaked with fuel at some point when filling up the Jeep.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 052007

Wrangler

The vehicle will spill gas out of the filler neck every time after the pump handle shuts off. It doesn't matter if I use the lowest setting on the gas pump or if I manually use as little pressure as possible. It overfills every single time and gas pours out of the fill spout running down the body of the vehicle on my hand on my clothes and on the ground.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 012005

Wrangler

Every time I fill up with fuel, it spills and splashes all over the place causing puddles of fuel all over the ground and running down the side of my vehicle.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jun 132012

Wrangler

Every time I pump gas it overflows. The flapper in the top of the gas tank isn't working correctly. This is apparently an issue for the majority of 05 and 06 models. Chrysler decided to fix the 07-08 models and do nothing for the 05-06.

- Piedmpnt , SC, USA

Nov 042013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling with gas. Gas shot out soaking my clothes hands and face. Luckily had someone assist me to restroom to clear eyes and wash face.. this is so scary my grand son was right there could have been bad.please help this needs fixed. Recall please help!

- Le Roy, IL, USA

Nov 032008

Wrangler

Fuel filler overflows when fueling tank, every time.

- East Haddam, CT, USA

Feb 182013

Wrangler

Fuel spills out of filler hose almost every time I fill up fuel. The gas spills out all over the ground at the gas station. I complained to chrysller hq and they said, its been noted and my vehicle does not qualify for the recalls that they have on the later model Jeep Wrangler with the same problem.

- Harrison, AR, USA

Jul 072011

Wrangler

Each and every time I fill the vehicle up with gasoline, the fuel spills out of the gas tank all over the vehicle. It has ruined my fender flare not to mention the gasoline on the ground as a result of the faulty gas tank. This happens every single time I fill up the vehicle (regardless of the gas station). The only way to stop this is to handle it is in a manual process (not using the pump handle switch to keep pump on), however that still does not stop the fuel from filling out the tank. This has ruined some of my clothes and as mentioned, is creating plenty of pollution every spill. This is a common problem with Wrangler as it is commonly reported in online forums. I am asking for Chrysler's assistance in getting this issue addressed and the fuel tank replaced.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Aug 012011

Wrangler

Each time I fill up my gas tank with fuel, the fuel overflows out of the tank. As I am not the original owner of the vehicle, I am filing this complaint only after learning from many other Jeep owners they also experience this issue. It seems very dangerous for this amount of fuel to be spilled (and spewed) from the gas tank, the only way to prevent it is to monitor the gallons going in and stop it manually which, unfortunately, is not always a successful approach. Thanks!

- Darien, GA, USA

Jun 052013

Wrangler

When refilling gas the auto shutoff doesn't work correctly and fuel spills out onto vehicle and ground as it doesn't shut off soon enough. Gas can splash on person holding nozzle or near vehicle. Fire and pollution risk.

- Kennett Square, PA, USA

Apr 252013

Wrangler

When refueling my Jeep, fuel was expelled from the filer neck at the same time the fuel pump cut off automatically. I was covered in gasoline this time after the fuel was expelled from the tank. This has happened on every refill starting about 6 months ago but the first time I have been doused with fuel. The Jeep dealer indicated that a recall had been initiated on hundreds of Wrangler but not the 2005 Jeep Wrangler for the same problem. This is an incredibly dangerous situation and the consumer needs your help!! many online articles from organizations like edmunds and consumer reports has indicated this is a serious problem and the problem needs to be identified by your organization and Chrysler needs to recall the vehicles.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Feb 212013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Every time I go to fill up my gas tank- once the fuel pump reaches the full amount the fuel starts coming out of the tank spilling all over the side of my Wrangler and sometimes on my shoes. Even when I slow pump the gas into the tank, once it reaches a certain point (which I can never tell because most vehicles make the gas pump click off once full) it almost always automatically purges itself.

- Schertz, TX, USA