2005 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Wrangler:

2005 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 202013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Fuel spill occurs during fill ups. Fuel will spill onto the ground as well as spew outward from the vehicle. Fuel has gotten onto my clothing and skin on two occasions.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 022013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When I fill up my tank at the gas station, the auto fill won't click off until the gas tank is overfilled, and sprays out, then runs down the side of my Jeep. It doesn't matter if I use their auto fill notches and walk away or hold it by hand, the gas wont click off until the tank has overflowed. It spills between a liter and a pint each time.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 312005

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling gas tank, gas will overflow out of tank, this has happened since vehicle was brand new.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 222013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I just bought this Jeep 2 weeks ago, every time I go to fill up with gas, no matter which gas station I am at the gas always comes spewing out. I have tried many things, even positioning the gas handle at different angles ect. I have done a lot of research and it seems this is a faulty fuel tank/evap. That needs to be replaced to fix this. I have talked to dealer ships saying that the tank needs to be replaced. In my opinion this should be a recall. My Jeep only has 37000 miles on it, and I already have to replace the fuel tank!? I think Jeep/Chrysler needs to foot the bill on this one...

- Sedalia, CO, USA

Sep 102012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Fuel system does not respond to a shut-off mechanism. Every time we fill up the gas on our 2005 Wrangler unlimited, gas will come back out and spill down the side of the Jeep and sometimes spray surrounding area. So if you are standing anywhere near it, most likely you will have gas all over yourself. We are the second owners of the 2005 Wrangler that only had 5500 miles on it when we bought the Jeep and now have about 7500 miles and have seen this issue every time we fill the gas tank. Dealership wants $1400 to replace plus labor.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Apr 102012

My Jeep overflows gasoline everytime I fill up at the pump!

- Latham, NY, USA

Jul 022012

I had just bought an unlimited 2005 Jeep Wrangler- the first time I stopped to get gas I found out very quickly that there is an overflow problem with these models. Everyone who is a Jeep owner knows about it and says there are some fixes, but they are lengthy. Everyone who isn't wonders why it hasn't been recalled and fixed. This is an ongoing problem that could pose a large hazard at gas stations.

- Winsted , CT, USA

Oct 252011

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Wrangler 4X4. The contact stated that after filling the fuel tank to capacity, gasoline would spill from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where they advised him that the fuel tank was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000. The current mileage was approximately 54,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 302012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Automatic transmission shift linkage cable broke. Unable to start vehicle with transmission selected in either "park" or "neutral." Shift linkage cable replaced by dealer, not under warranty or recall.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Sep 012008

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas tank overflows when filling. Occurs at both high/low speed autofill. Will overflow at manual fill as well, unless you hear gurgling and shut off pump before overflow.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 162012

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling up at the gas station, gasoline spills out all over the place, runs down the side of the vehicle and spills out onto the ground.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 222008

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling the fuel tank, the pump will shut off but fuel will spill out of the fuel filler access onto the side of the Jeep and the ground.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Mar 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Fueling up at the gas station, cannot fill up without gas spitting out onto me, the vehicle, and the ground. No other vehicle I've owned has this problem, including an 03 Jeep Wrangler and a 2000 Dodge durango, both of which in more recent model years have had a recall for this same problem. It is an environmental and health hazard, as fuel is a carcinogen.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Sep 282012

• 1,400,000 miles
Every time I fill up with gas, the rollover check valve fails and gas gushes out onto ground. This is a fire hazard and enviromental issue.

- Davison, MI, USA

Nov 112011

Wrangler 6-cyl

While fueling this vehicle, as the tank got full and the pump shut off, the fuel belched out, at first I thought it was the gas pump so I have tried different gas stations, it has now gotten to the point where it does it every time, at every different gas station. I looked on the internet and found that it is a common problem with plenty of video to support these complaints, what is difficult to understand is why you aren't doing anything about it. Other government agencies have forced all gas stations to limit/recover fugitive emissions, but all this video evidence isn't enough to support a recall of all affected vehicles?

- Franklinville, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Each time I fill the gas tank, gas gushes out all over the side of my Jeep and sometimes on myself. I am afraid that sooner or later I'm going to catch on fire. Please help.

- Dewey, AZ, USA

Aug 012011

Wrangler 4-cyl

We purchased the vehicle used with around 12,000 miles last year. Ever since we bought it, it will run over when pumping gas. It does not cut off so you just have to listen to stop it. I googled and saw there have been issues with other years. It would be great if the problem could be fixed.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Jun 012010

Wrangler 6-cyl

I am experiencing fuel spit-back during every refueling of my vehicle. I purchased a replacement tank and the problem has again occurred on the replacement fuel tank. I am considering a class action lawsuit against Chrysler to fix this problem with 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler as well as the 2007-2008 Jeep Wrangler. I know a recall for this same issue is in effect for the 2007-2008 Jeep Wrangler. Here is a link to an edmonds article: here is a link to a Jeep forum with numerous complaints for the same issue and it is not isolated to the 2007-2008 Jeep Wrangler:

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 302011

When fueling the Jeep the gas overflows. Even though we are very careful it is impossible to gas up the car and not have gas all over your hands and the ground. The gas drips down the side of the car and is a serious safety concern. We have tried different pumps and different angles to no avail. It is not human error as we have other vehicles that we never have a problem at the same pumps with any other car.

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Jul 022012

Wrangler 6-cyl

When refueling and filling up gas tank, the automatic gas pump nozzle does not shut-off in time resulting in gas overflow/spilling. Typically a few cups of gas will spill out before nozzle shuts off the gas flow. Have tried filling at different gas stations, with different pumps, and positioning nozzle in different positions but result is the same and gas overflows. Only way to prevent is to guess how much gas is needed -- then stop pump before tank is full -- then fill remainder of tank with pump on slowest setting.

- Vienna, VA, USA