2005 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Wrangler:

2005 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Mar 302011

Wrangler

When fueling the Jeep the gas overflows. Even though we are very careful it is impossible to gas up the car and not have gas all over your hands and the ground. The gas drips down the side of the car and is a serious safety concern. We have tried different pumps and different angles to no avail. It is not human error as we have other vehicles that we never have a problem at the same pumps with any other car.

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Jul 022012

Wrangler 6-cyl

When refueling and filling up gas tank, the automatic gas pump nozzle does not shut-off in time resulting in gas overflow/spilling. Typically a few cups of gas will spill out before nozzle shuts off the gas flow. Have tried filling at different gas stations, with different pumps, and positioning nozzle in different positions but result is the same and gas overflows. Only way to prevent is to guess how much gas is needed -- then stop pump before tank is full -- then fill remainder of tank with pump on slowest setting.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jul 302010

Wrangler

Gas tank overflows everytime I fill up. Doesn't matter what gas station I go to, the gas always spits out of the tank and all over the side of the car before the pump stops. Something is wrong with the tank or an internal check valve which should prevent this. I can never fill the gas tank up full because of this issue. The only fix I have found through research is a brand new gas tank, which is ridiculous.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 142010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Approximately 1 year after purchasing my used 2005 Wrangler, gas started to overflow from the filler tube upon fueling. The first time this occurred, I thought it was a defective pump shut-off at the station until it happened the next time and the next and so on. I have been dealing with this for at least 2 years with no resolve. A good amount of gas will spill out of the tank once the tank has reached capacity, spraying gas all over the vehicle and the ground. This can be minimized by slowing the flow from the nozzle, but there is no way to tell when the tank is going to be full or not. This is not only a safety issue as there is now a volatile substance on the ground, but an environmental issue as there is now gasoline that could easily enter the ground water. It is unacceptable that Chrysler is aware of this problem, has admitted that it affects other model years yet refuses to accept further responsibility.

- Providence, RI, USA

Feb 022009

Wrangler

When filling up the Jeep with gasoline, gas pumps will not click off, and the fuel tank overfills, but sprays out with great force soaking the individual pumping gasoline.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 152011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Filled up fuel tank, when it got to the top it didn't shut off without spilling out. Now it does it all the time.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jun 012010

Wrangler 6-cyl

When refueling the vehicle, the automatic shutoff does not engage from the vehicle itself properly, causing fuel to continue to flow and out and all over the side of the vehicle. It also sprays out and on the operator fueling the vehicle. There is a technical service bulletin from Jeep about the issue, but action has not been taken by the manufacturer. I request this be repaired under warranty. Material safety data sheets classify gasoline as a hazardous material, known to cause health defects when in contact with skin, and environmental impacts when improperly contained.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Apr 022012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Our 2005 Jeep Wrangler has been overflowing when filling up the gas tank for two months now. There is no warning and the gas spews out of the nozzle/tank. The gas often gets all over my shoes, hands and pants. We are not ignoring the shut off click, since this problem began there hasn't been one. For our own safety we wait until the gas light is on to get gas and then estimate how much gas we need in order to stay gas free. We have researched the problem and it seems to be a common problem with Jeep and Chrysler vehicles involving the inlet check valve, yet they have done nothing.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

May 172011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Every-time I fill up my gas tank it overflows and spills out violently.

- East Marion, NY, USA

Feb 032012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Recently purchased the Wrangler used. Fuel spill every time you fill the gas tank. When the fuel pump clicks off fuel shoots out the fill spout.

- Jackson, MI, USA