2006 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Wrangler:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Oct 292016

Wrangler

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler tj I bought used have had it going on 6 months and everytime I go to the gas station and fill up when the pump kicks off the gas spews out all down the side of my Jeep flares and the Jeep itself and down onto the ground when I filled it up the first time it was all over my hand my leg and ruined my shoes!! I got on a jepp forum and was told to get a GMC filler hose with a check valve and I did and paid to have it installed and I still have the same issue. I have done a lot of research on the internet and I am not alone here this is a huge issue and it is going to lead to someone getting hurt or worse killed!! is this what it's going to take for you to fix this problem with the Wrangler? I sure hope not!! this is beyond ridiculous and needs addressed and fixed asap.....

- Abingdon, VA, USA

Oct 242016

Wrangler

Every time I fill my Jeep with gasoline, when it reaches it's capacity, gas spews out of the filler tube and onto the rear fender flare and subsequently onto the ground. This is not a new issue with these Jeep and it is a fix that should be done by the manufacturer due to the obvious safety concerns. This is a fire hazard and could cause serious injury if not corrected. This happens every time I fill the vehicle up with gas and it's ridiculous.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Oct 142016

Wrangler

Gas spills out when filling tank instead of click gas pump off automatically

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Aug 272016

Wrangler

My Jeep Wrangler spews gas on every fill up. Ruined pants, shoes. Fear gas is going to ignite from hot exhaust. Does every every time. Someone going to get hurt seriously. Everyone is purchasing GM filler tube with flapper to replace Jeep filler. Done so frequently can't get part. Jeep could fix easily installing 20 dollar filler tube or putting new valve in tank. This is serious.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA

Jul 272016

Wrangler

When you fill up the gas tank the automatic stop doesn't work and the gas spills out all over the place. I bought the Jeep used on July 11, 2014, and I just have never done anything about it. When I bought it, it had 35,000 miles, now I have 70,666 miles. I went online and on the Jeep forum and youtube some people had fixes by buying a GM new fuel filler hose part #15131046 and replacing it and it seems to have worked. According to what I've read the warrenties were extended for 2007 and over but not the 2006's.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jun 152009

Wrangler

Fuel tank filler neck spills gasoline forcefully over the side, fender flare and ground, which requires a spill kit to be used to cleanup the puddle created by this spill. This problem has occurred before and was fixed using the same faulty parts which at that time was under warranty. Approximately 4000 miles later the same spilling of gasoline occurred but dealership said the vehicle was outside the warranty period and that it would cost me $1000 to repair. I believe this is an extreme fire hazard as well as a possibly severe injury to myself as the gasoline could fly into my eyes or unto my clothes. I demand a complete new fuel tank configuration and fuel filler neck parts. Two exact problems means faulty equipment parts and should be repaired with updated parts. The first time it was fixed is listed below.

- Bushkill, PA, USA

Jun 012009

Wrangler

Gas tank overflows with fuel when filling gas tank and sprays back on you and to ground. I attached a link to a youtube video. This is not my car but I have the exact same problem. Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=zouvokeolo8

- St Simons Island, GA, USA

Jun 142015

Wrangler

When fueling the vehicle, the fuel splashes back at near full. The fuel leaks down the plastic fuel door area and onto the painted finish on the body. I have had it splash back onto myself, also. There is supposedly a faulty flapper valve inside the filler hose before the fuel enters that tank. This is a known issue on the 97-06 Wrangler.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Aug 082015

Wrangler

When sitting still with the engine off and putting gas in my 06 Jeep Wrangler, the gas pump does not kick off quick enough when the tank is full and spills gas down the side of the Jeep and onto the ground creating a very dangerous fire hazard - if you are not standing back, it will splash gas onto your clothes which could be a dangerous personal hazard with the potential of burns to a persons body. Getting in and out of a vehicle produces static electricity and could be enough to start a fire with the Jeep and potential danger to people and property. The Jeep will "burp" gas everytime that you fill it - this has happened on numerous occasions. I do not even fill the tank and let the pump kick off anymore for this reason - it is a dangerous situation if you wait for the pump to kick off.

- Jasper, IN, USA

Oct 012015

Wrangler

The Jeep has what has been termed the Jeep death wobble. The Jeep is all stock, not lifted at all. I have fired the parts cannon at the Jeep...all the work has been performed by factory trained technicians using oe parts. I have changed the tires twice in 20,000 miles. The Jeep gets a terrible wobble on the highway at 55mph (speed limit on 465 in indianapolis) and can only be brought under control by stopping the vehicle. Even though I have never been in an accident caused by the excessive wobble, it is definitely not safe to come to a complete stop on the highway. It's not always easy to pull over to the side of the road on a busy interstate highway. The fuel filler neck often overflows when filling the fuel tank also. There was a recall on some Jeep for this same problem. However, the Jeep dealership said my specific Jeep doesn't qualify for the fixing of the issue. It is definitely not safe to have a fuel filler neck that doesn't stop the fuel nozzle from flowing.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 072015

Wrangler

When filling the fuel tank the fuel filler hose fails to stop the flow of fuel coming back out of the tank. This results in fuel spilling on the ground and down the side of the vehicle.

- Ridley Aprk, PA, USA

Jan 202016

Wrangler

Fuel pump does not shut off when full causing about 10 ounces of fuel to spray on me and on the ground. It also drips down the paint which can cause issues down the road over time

- Mableton, GA, USA

Dec 212015

Wrangler

While fueling and before the pump automatically shuts off, fuel sprays out of the filler neck, runs down the fender and onto the ground. This is not just randomly it happens at every fill up.

- Morgan, UT, USA

Jan 012015

Wrangler

When filling up tank, fuel comes pouring out when tank is done being filled

- Marietta, GA, USA

Dec 162015

Wrangler

2006 Wrangler unlimited (rubicon) overfills with gasoline before the pump stops. About a cup of fuel, does not matter which gas station or how fast the tank is filled. It has been doing this since I purchased it from Jeep dealer in 2013.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Oct 012015

Wrangler

While fueling my 2006 Jeep Wrangler, the fuel failed to stop dispensing when the tank was full. This resulted in fuel spewing out from the tank. The fuel got on me as well as the Jeep and the immediate surrounding areas. I have fueled the Jeep at multiple gas stations with the same result. Fuel spilling out from the tank is a serious fire, environmental, and health hazard. After reviewing the NHTSA's website as well as other reputable sources, this seems to be a very common problem/complaint. I'm aware that the 2007 and newer Jeep have a recall to fix this problem. I failed to realize how such a common and serious problem can be ignored in the 2006 Jeep.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Oct 212015

Wrangler

Just purchased this Jeep from a dealership and when I fill up the tank with gas it overflows every time spilling gas all over the ground and over the drivers rear quarter panel. It is hard to stop the overflow due to the gas coming out, danger of fuel getting on my clothes which then makes me flammable and smell like fuel. There is always the danger of fuel getting in my eyes as well, I do not feel safe with this flaw. I don't believe that all of the 2005 and 2006 Jeep owners should have to dish out $900 for a new fuel tank that will fail again anyway because the icv valve will just fail again. This is a stationary issue when filling the gas tank. Can't believe that spilling gas on the ground every time is that good for the environment.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 012010

Wrangler

Fuel spills out of the filler port due to incorrect engagement of the stop on fuel pump nozzles. This is due to a malfunctioning icv. The Jeep has been doing this since I have owned it and the previous owner stated it did the same thing since he and his wife bought it in 2008 -when the vehicle was only two years old.

- Christiansburg, VA, USA

Aug 012010

Wrangler

I bought my 2006 Jeep Wrangler rubicon new from a dealership. After few years I started having issues with fuel spitting out of the gas filler when filling up at a gas station. About 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. Doesn't matter which staion or which pump I use. The pump I use would click off, but always a second too late. This is a very dangerous problem in that not only is it damaging my paint and wheel well flares but also spilling gas on the ground creating an environmental hazard as defined and regulated by the environmental protection Agency, as well as splashing onto the person filling the Jeep covering them in flammable chemicals and exposing them to long-term health issues through inhalation and skin absorption as addressed by the national institutes of health. Not to mention with the fuel spilling out like that, it also creates a lot of fuel vapors. With jus a static spark, it could very well ingnite the fuel. I consider that a very dangerous situation.

- Versailles, KY, USA

Jun 152015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When fueling the vehicle, when the tank is full and the gasoline nozzle shuts off, approximately one cup of gasoline comes out of the vehicle filler tube and sprays the area around the filler inlet and down the side of the vehicle. This event occurs regardless of the rate of fuel flow. This event occurs when the filler nozzle turns off automatically or when the user manually controls the rate of fuel. This problem has been diagnosed by fca as a defect in a plastic valve located in the vehicle's fuel tank that reacts negatively with gasoline additives, specifically ethanol. Fca does not consider this to be a safety issue. As the vehicle owner, I consider the fact that the vehicle spews gasoline out at me while refueling to be a safety issue and request that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration takes steps to require fca to resolve this issue before someone is burned. Thank you. Updated 9/15/15

- Castle Hills, TX, USA