2006 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Wrangler:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jan 012008

Wrangler

I bought my 2006 Jeep Wrangler rubicon new from a dealership. After about two years I started having issues with fuel spitting put of the gas filler when filling up at a gas station. This is my wife's vehicle and she compensated by not filling it full by shutting the fuel pump off before the handle would click. Over the years I have mentioned it to dealerships and repair shops and no one ever heard of it. It is at a dealership now for another issue and again I mentioned the gas spitting out of the gas neck and running down the Jeep side and getting me wet. They said they know about the issue and that Jeep and NHTSA had addressed the issue in a compromise by Jeep offering an extended warranty on 2007 and 2008 models and Jeep sent out communications to that effect. Since I have a 2006, I never received any notification about the fuel overflow problem, until now. I contacted Jeep and they acknowledged the issue but refused to address it. This is a very dangerous problem in that not only is it damaging my paint and wheel well flares but also spilling gas on the ground creating an environmental hazard as defined and regulated by the environmental protection Agency, as well as splashing onto the person filling the Jeep covering them in flammable chemicals and exposing them to long-term health issues through inhalation and skin absorption as addressed by the national institutes of health.

- Buford, GA, USA

Jun 012013

Wrangler

When filling the gas tank, it will overflow, spilling gas on the side of the Jeep Wrangler, the tire and the ground. It seems like the flapper valve in the filler neck isn't preventing spills. It happens everytime I've filled up, so I try not to fill the tank anymore. I believe it's a serious safety and fire hazard. One spill was so big, the gas station employees had to use kitty litter to soak it all

- West Springfield, MA, USA

Jul 012010

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. While refueling, the fuel pump failed to shut off and caused fuel to spew out with force and spill onto the ground. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was not taken in for diagnostic testing and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 10/19/15

- Claremore, OK, USA

Jan 182013

Wrangler

When refilling my gas tank the gas pump does not shut off and gas spills out with force causing gas to spill all over the place (myself, Jeep & the ground). This is a very common problem with 2006 Wrangler (tj & lj) & Jeep finally needs to do something about this for these models as well. These were the Wrangler that tested some of the new parts for their jk models that came out in 2007 to present. A recall has been issued for the 2007 & newer models for this same problem. How about fixing where the problem started at originally. Thank you, greg mumaw

- Hohenwald, TN, USA

Jun 062006

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. While pumping fuel into the vehicle, the fuel would overflow regardless of the amount within the vehicle. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 222008

Wrangler

When filling gas tank, fuel gushes (not a drop, not a trickle, rather a violent expulsion of fuel) from the fill neck. Many Jeep Wrangler owners report the same problem. This is a serious safety issue.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Mar 302013

Wrangler

I purchased this Jeep used and the very first time I filled the fuel tank, gas spewed profusely from the tank opening without triggering the nozzle to stop as the tank was approaching full. This causes gasoline to spray all over the vehicle, the pump, the operator, and to puddle on the ground. This same scenario has played out at every gas station I have visited since. The only solution is to try to guess when the tank is close to full and stop the pump prematurely. This is a serious safety and environmental issue that warrants immediate correction from the manufacturer. I contacted the previous owner of the vehicle and she stated that the same fuel overflow problem was present the entire time she owned the vehicle. In speaking with other Jeep owners, this is a very common problem with 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler models and has even resulted in at least one class action law suit. Please help prevent a future catastrophe and take action on behalf of the consumer asap.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 042015

Wrangler

The filler neck doesn't close fast enough when filling the gas tank, thus resulting in gas spewing out onto the Jeep (consequently fading any fender you have installed) and onto your person. As per several car mechanics' consultations, the ethanol in gas is/has eroded the filler neck and it can't close in time. Apparently the issue was addressed in later models of the Jeep Wrangler. It is a nearly $600 fix (including labor). Temporary solution: Only put about $25 in the gas tank at a time (which is inconvenient is you are constantly traveling).

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 012015

Wrangler

When filling the fuel tank it always overflows. It does not matter the station or how the pump is in the tank. It always shoots gas out before it kicks off. I think this is a serious fire hazard and I also can spray fuel on the person filling. It sounds like this is an ongoing issue with this model and nothing has been done"?"

- Milaca, MN, USA

Jun 132014

Wrangler

Every time the gas is filled, fuel overflows and pours onto the vehicle, ground and whomever is standing near it.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Apr 032015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Tank overflows when filling up with fuel. Pump auto shut off does not work on this vehicle at any station. Always get fuel overflow.

- Guthrie , OK, USA

Mar 212015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Jeep Wrangler unlimited after getting fuel filled I pull out of station and it starts hesitating and then stalls in middle of street. It nearly caused an accident from car behind me I had to restart and it would stall and bog few more times then run ok. Today I fueled up and pulled out of station at a 6 lane divided road with an interstate with on and off ramps both sides so I had only 100 feet to cross three lanes to get into left turn lane for interstate as this lane goes under and at light turns left to on ramp, just to give you insight on situation, I fuel up pull out and it shuts off cars have to stop I am in middle of three lane dead in the water it starts back up and I pull up thank god a safe distance to car in front of me and it bogs down and the surges making the Jeep thrust forward had to brake hard no accident was caused but god forbid it could have please research this.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Dec 152006

Wrangler 6-cyl

When refueling fuel tank on this vehicle the fuel pump will not shut off when fuel enters filling tube of vehicle thus causing fuel to be spilled out of the filling tube and onto exterior of vehicle, driving surface and fuel filling system including the hoses and pump(s). The fuel flow has such force that the person operating filling pump will also be sprayed with fuel on their person and clothes as well as areas mentioned previously. This causes a severe explosive environment in the proximity of static energy. I have never refueled my vehicle without the overflow happening unless I only partially filled my fuel tank, why have a 19 gallon tank if you can only use 2/3 of it? there is a sever danger of fire/explosion due to the amount of fuel that is spilled before the pump is stopped.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Feb 152006

Wrangler

Every time I fill the tank fully, since new, this vehicle has overfilled and spilled approximately 0.3 gallons of fuel. I have two friends with 05-06 Jeep Wrangler with the same fuel filler neck, both have the same problem. Chrysler is unwilling to repair at a reasonable cost, but it is a design flaw that is dangerous to the owner of the vehicle and the environment.

- Reno, NV, USA

Feb 172015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

During the refueling process fuel will spray out of the nozzle spaying me and the vehicle. This happens without warning and will take you by surprise if you are not careful.this happens every time I have been reading about this problem with this year of Jeep and it seems as if there are a lot of vehicles involved with this problem for the year I own. Google "gas spill problems Jeep 2006" and you will see.

- Canton, OH, USA

Sep 112012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When filling the tank, rather than shutting off the gas, it burps and overflows. This happens every time I fill it.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Feb 062015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Filling gas got sprayed with gas on face hands and arms my skin burned I smelled like gas for a long time this is a major safty.. gas on ground on vehicle had 3 Jeep Wrangler all had same problems.do I have to die.. plus gas causes cancer. Filling gas every 3 days geting spayed with gas.. breathing poison gas fumes. Death wobble front end.plus fire risk. We need.help. Now. If there is class action lawsuit look me up. Safty first. Help us.

- North Reading, MA, USA

Feb 162006

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When refueling the gasoline tank will overflow spilling upwards of a quart of gasoline on the operator, (in eyes and on cloths) the vehicle and the ground. Gasoline is highly flamable! this is a very common problem with Jeep Wrangler of the 2005 and 2006 models happening to every single owner I have talked to.in Oregon we do not pump our own gas and the station employees says "it happens with all these Jeep" when I go out of state and pump my own gas it allways splashes out getting gas everywhere. This is a widely commen problem with these vehicles and I cant belive it has been allowed to go on this long with out being address as it is very dangerous when fueling your car and getting spilled gas everywhere.

- Otis , OR, USA

Jul 012014

Wrangler

Gas tank overflows at the gas pump, spiting fuel everywhere. Also while filling, the pump constantly shuts off as if the fill neck of the Jeep is overflowing. I have to barely hold the pump in the on position in order to fill and it still overflows. This problem is dangerous and needs to be addressed.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Nov 132013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When fueling the fuel overflows every time. This can not be safe.

- Paducah, KY, USA