2006 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Wrangler:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 012011

2006 Jeep Wrangler. Not lifted. Severe "death wobble" between approx. 40-50 mph. This issue is prevalent and dangerous enough to warrant recall. Jeep should fix this design issue immediately before loss of life occurs. The NHTSA must force the issue immediately, as Jeep has known about the design flaw since approximately 1997. Why has this not been addressed/resolved?

- Orange, CA, USA

May 162010

Traveling at 55 mph hit a slight bump on the road and the front end started wobble from side to side. The steering wheel shook side to side very quickly. The only way to get this to stop was to slow down to a speed of approximately 40 mph.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Mar 092011

2006 Jeep Wrangler and the death wobble. Jeep has know about this condition for some time now and since my warranty is up and they could not find the problem before it was up, I am now stuck with it or pay alot of money for a issue that should have been addressed years ago by Jeep. Every time I hit a small bump in the road at 60mph the Jeep goes out of control and shakes the vehicle until you can come to a complete stop in the road and then its fine. All you have to do is google Jeep and death wobble and you will see how many complaints are out there.

- Hartford City, IN, USA

Oct 152006

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

Front end shakes and shimmies since I got it in Sept 06, taken to see why, and of course I been told it is this that or the other, and the problem has not been resolved, I have replaced tires, brake and calipers, shocks, stabilizer shocks, have had the front end lined due to the shaking and shimmy, if there was a recall on this vehicle I was never notified on this matter. The vehicle in question 2006 Jeep Wrangler.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jun 012009

I own a 2006 Jeep Wrangler, I have been experiencing a violent shake or also known as the death wobble since 2009. Lately, it has gotten far worse. I contacted the dealer at the first signs of the problem, they told me that it was the tires and that they would reimburse me. I called back several times after I got the tires, but the manager always had an excuse. So, no I did not get reimbursed. The tires fixed the problem for a short time, but now it's back and worse than ever. It starts the death wobble at around 55mph, it is so violent that it takes everything I have just to keep control. The only way that I can get it to stop is to either speed up to 60 or come to a complete stop. This is a serious problem and needs immediate attention from NHTSA before a death occurs due to this problem.

- Castlewood, VA, USA

Feb 012010

2006 Jeep Wrangler: At about 10,000 miles, I noticed that a shudder started to develop in my front end and would vibrate up through the steering wheel at around 45 mph. It does not always occur at 40 mph usually between 40 and 60 after hitting a bump. Now, at 22,000 miles, I have a violent shudder between 40 and 60 mph, that it feels like I am about to lose control of the vehicle. My wife was driving on a major highway and hit a bump at about 55 and almost lost control of the vehicle. It was so bad that she had to brake in order to avoid hitting the car in the lane next to her. This seems like an incredibly dangerous situation. I have taken the Jeep to the Jeep dealer service department the acted like this was not unusual and called it the "death wobble" (nice name for it) and they replaced the steering damper. The vehicle still occasionally shakes at various speeds and sometimes when braking and sometimes it acts "normal" this vehicle is 100 % stock from the dealer(not lifted and original 215/75-15 tires and has had no modifications, and has not been off roading. I believe the problem still exists and the replacement damper is just temporarily masking the problem( not very successfully either). After searching the internet it is obvious this is not an unusual occurrence and needs to be addressed I guess this wont become a big issue for the Chrysler or the government until there are numerous injuries or fatalities. Its a shame that manufacturers wait until the problems really escalates before they are addressed (like Toyota).

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Jun 062008

2006 Jeep Wrangler traveling approx. 45 mph the front end starting shaking causing the loss of control of the vehicle. The vehicle with several passengers crashed upside down in a ten foot storm water waterway.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Jun 092009

When driving between the speeds of 40 mph to 50 mph the front end shakes very hard and is hard to keep in your own lane.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Oct 202008

Death wobble on a 2006 Jeep. I was going 55 and had it happen took it to a shop they said my tires needed to be balanced. A week later it happened at 58 mph and I lost control of the Jeep going off the rad took it in to the shop they said it was my brakes. After the brakes it still happened at 58 mph I have new brakes, shocks, brake pads, balanced, steering rod total of over $2000 and 5 days of my time.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

May 202009

Death wobble on Jeep Wrangler as reported on wsoctv this has occured in my vehicle on many occasions. The Jeep is all factory. No lifts, etc.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Mar 122009

In reference to all late model Jeep Wrangler. What is known as the "death wobble". at a speed of 35 to 55 mph, a vibration in the front end will occur that magnifies in intensity until the driver must stop the vehicle to regain control. Very dangerous. Jeep says that it thinks a steering damper change could stop this from occurring, but has never issued a recall or design change. Problem spans several years of the Wrangler model. I have heard of mid 90's all the way to my 06' having the "death wobble". in my opinion Jeep has neglected to fix a very serious problem that im sure has caused more than a few accidents. I have had to stop completely getting on the interstate to regain control. That cant be safe. I would think that a fix shouldn't be that hard for the engineers at daimler/Chrysler to come up with. After all the Jeep is an amazing vehicle. Therefore I am requesting that the NHTSA commence an investigation into the death wobble" and Jeep responsibility in this. It is my belief that they should be held responsible for any worn or damaged front end parts due to the wobble and the fix for the problem. Thanks for your time and hard work. I am looking forward to speaking with a NHTSA rep at their convenience. If you need to observe the death wobble or need more info please feel free to contact me anytime via email or phone. Or you can just google it. You would be amazed at the number of people out there that have this problem and Jeep acts as if it doesn't exist. All I can say is wow. Thanks again for doing your jobs and making these companies be responsible.

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Sep 262006

I purchased a 2006 Jeep Wrangler sport on Sept 25, 2008. Within one week of driving this vehicle I experienced severe wobble (aka "death wobble") while traveling around 55mph twice. It happened when I ran over rough areas in the road that had been patched up pot holes. The vehicle began to shake violently from side to side. I had to almost come to a complete stop before it would stop do this. I felt I had no control of the vehicle while this was happening. After the first time I searched the internet and found that this is not an isolated problem and that many, many other owners have experienced the same thing. It is referred to as the "Jeep death wobble". I contacted the local Chrysler dealership because the Jeep is still under warranty. When I explained the situation to them they acted as if they never heard of such a thing. They replaced the damper on the steering but I know from my research that this is just a short time \"fix\" and that although Chrysler has received many letters from consumers such as myself, they refuse to acknowledge the fact that their design if dangerous therefore, there has been no recall to permanently fix the problem. I then contacted X-treme Jeep in tampa Florida and the owner informed me that the only way to remedy the problem is to eliminate the damper all together and install the rugged ridge steering kit which actually brings the mechanism back to the older way the Jeep were made back when amc built them. This is an expensive job, costing approx. $330. I can not afford this plus the monthly car payment but then again, I can\'t afford to wreck my vehicle do to poor design. I live 17 miles from my job and can\'t afford to go without my transportation. This is a very unsafe vehicle Chrysler does not acknowledge responsible. When I went to pick up my Jeep from the dealership after they replaced the damper I had to come up with $83.63 for the rotation/balance of the tires. No physical damage but my nerves are shot over this.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Sep 272008

2006 Jeep Wrangler - extreme front end shutter at highway speeds, usually in the area of 55mph. The shutter is so bad the vehicle has to be stopped immediately to avoid loss of control. This has occurred 3 times in the last week alone. The dealer claims it is a known issue but the part is out of stock. They (Jeep) calls it a shimmer, I* say it is a shutter and a life safety issue.

- Social Circle, GA, USA