2006 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Wrangler:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 012013

Wrangler

When you reach approx. 48 miles an hour, the front end wobbles and you loose control of the vehicle. Very dangerous, especially with children in the car.

- Amber, OK, USA

Oct 182006

Wrangler 4-cyl

Our Jeep has had the death wobble since it was bought brand new from the dealership. When reaching approximately 50mph, the vehicle begins to shake/oscillate uncontrollably to where it is difficult to keep the vehicle in its lane. The brakes have to be pressed heavily in order for it to stop and presents a concern for rear end collision. To prevent the wobble from happening, the vehicle has to be driven 30mph below highway speed limit, causing safety concerns. Just earlier, the death wobble happened and we veered into the next lane and almost hit a car. I also sprained my arm once when trying to keep in control of the vehicle when the death wobble happened going down hill.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 012006

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have an 06 Jeep Wrangler with the death wobble. This is an ongoing problem. I have replaced my tires three times. I took my Jeep and had three mechanics look it over today, each with the same response, " I don't know what it could be." I've called Jeep several times, I replaced the steering damper as they recommended. This has been going on for years and I just don't know what else to do.

- Castlewood, VA, USA

Oct 032011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Between 45-55mph my front wheels starts to wobble back and forth violently causing me to have to hit the brakes to get the shaking to stop. The steering wheel also wobbles back and forth making it hard to steer. This is a hazard as it happens in traffic and randomly although more consistent. I have had a steering cylinder replaced but it has not fixed the problem. The wobbling is just getting worse. I do not believe this vehicle has had any suspension modifications. It is a serious situation that needs to be addressed by Chrysler.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

May 312010

Wrangler

Uncontrollable wobble in front axle/wheels and shaking of steering wheel.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Mar 012013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When driving at apprx. 50 miles per hour, if you hit semi rough/rough roadway the front end of the vehicle would go into a horrible total front end shake. It would only go away by putting on your brakes, and this is not such a good idea when everyone else on the roadway is going the speed limit and you have to hit your brakes and slow down to get your front end under control

- Maple Valley, WA, USA

Sep 012006

Wrangler 6-cyl

At 53 mph the front end starts what is well known as a death wobble. This is a very well known problem that Jeep needs to do a recall on and fix. My Jeep shakes so bad it will jerk the steering wheel out of your hands.

- Madisonville, KY, USA

Oct 102011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Now that have forced Chrysler to recall Jeep models for airbag problems how about forcing Jeep/Chrysler to recall and fix Jeep for the "death wobble". I first experienced this last year. At about 50mph the vehicle began to shake violently. I thought I was in a blender. I checked the internet and Jeep forum and found this to be a common problem with Jeep Wrangler. I even checked with the Jeep dealer here in Oklahoma and was told it could be the ball joints, steering cylinder and/or even worn tires. He even acknowledged the problem. My mechanic said the ball joints were good... the tires just ok. But steering cylinder would probably need replacing. So I paid $145 to the Jeep/Chrysler dealer for a new steering cylinder. Turns out the one I purchased was much bigger then the one I replaced. It still shook a little until I replaced the tires at another $650. This needs to be investigated. I hope you will look into this. Please before someone gets hurt and maybe already has. Thanks

- Okemah, OK, USA

Aug 102012

Wrangler 6-cyl

At around 45mph my front wheels starts to wobble back and forth violently causing me to have to hit the brakes to get the shaking to stop. The steering wheel also wobbles back and forth making it hard to steer. This is a hazard as it happens in traffic and could cause me to be rearended. Also a driver could panic and wreck as a result. Vehicle has no suspension modification. Tires have been balanced and vehicle has proper alignment. I believe this to be the phenomenon known as "death wobble".

- Lakeport, CA, USA

Apr 042012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving the Jeep Wrangler on a smooth pavement @ 55mph the steering wheel began shaking violently and the entire vehicle was shaking. It seemed as if both front wheels were loose. I immediately braked, pulled off the highway to a complete stop. Upon finding nothing loose I proceeded down the highway, upon reaching 55mph the vehicle repeated the shaking. I have replaced the track bar, steering dampener, front brake rotors, brake pads, new tires, wheels checked with calipers, and 2 alignments. I still cannot exceed 55mph without the violent shaking.

- Raceland, KY, USA

Sep 032010

Wrangler 6-cyl

The front end wobbled severely at 50 miles per hour causing a loss of control.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jul 272012

Wrangler 6-cyl

On Friday, 07.27.12, when driving on the highway, the vehicle began to shake/wobble wildly, and I thought that I had a blowout in the right front tire. I pulled over on the shoulder, but, to my surprise, the tire was fine, and I could see no visible problems. I proceeded down the highway, but, after about a mile, the vehicle began to shake/wobble wildly again (almost uncontrollably), to the point where I literally thought the right front wheel was falling off. Luckily, I was able to pull to the shoulder without causing an accident. I drove slowly along the shoulder, exited the highway at the next opportunity, and called the dealership. After making sure that the lug-nuts were tight, I drove (via city streets, to minimize speed) back to the dealership. The service technician determined that the problem was wheel balancing. That said, when I hit a bump in the road, the vehicle's right front end still wobbles. In the interim, I did some google'ing, and I found that numerous other ("death wobble") cases have been reported nationwide (including hundreds to the NHTSA). Chrysler has issued multiple tsbs, and there is a maintenance notice acknowledging "steering vibration" (a monumental euphemism; the issue goes way beyond a simple vibration) on the Jeep website. In short, Chrysler is well-aware of the existence and severity of this problem. The matter has been addressed by a san francisco tv station (kgo-tv), and even two members of the U.S. congress who sent inquiries/complaints to both Chrysler. Despite all of the first-hand accounts, publicity, and requests for action, the NHTSA has done nothing. This is clearly a design flaw/defect, and the NHTSA needs to force Chrysler to issue a safety recall. Jeep owners need to be made aware of the existence/possibility of this dangerous condition, and Chrysler should incur the costs of its diagnosis and correction.

- South Boston, MA, USA

Jun 252012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving around 35 miles per hour on the interstate my vehicle began to shake. This shaking began to increase over a period of about 10 seconds. The entire vehicle was shaking violently at this point, requiring that I slow down in order to regain control of my vehicle. This shaking continued to occur whenever I accelerated about 35 mph on a random basis.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 072012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. The contact was traveling 40-45 mph when the front end started to shake. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic. The mechanic confirmed the front end stabilizer bar needed to replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Whitwill, TN, USA

Nov 202011

Wrangler 6-cyl

When my 2006 Jeep Wrangler hits a bump or an imperfection in the road while travelling at 45mph and above, the Jeep will begin to shake so severely that a crash seems inevitable unless I slam on the brakes and pull over on the shoulder. This has happened to me more than I can count and continues to be a dangerous problem. Please help!!!

- Fishers, IN, USA

Oct 252010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Experiencing "death wobble" when driving over manholes and/or storm sewer grates. Uncontrollable shaking in front suspension and steering. Vehicle taken to dealership for repairs on 03/05/2012. Has been at dealer for 25 days. Repair parts/labor currently at $1050+tax. Vehicle in worse condition than prior to having repairs. Has now also developed a "shimmy" in the steering that was not present when vehicle brought in to dealer. Vehicle will be retrieved on 03/31/2012 and taken to different auto repair shop. Problem not unique to my vehicle. Research of problem on internet has numerous similar complaints. Please help prior to vehicle causing accident and injuries/death to myself or others. Clearly a manufacturing default, ie. Poor design and no solution for correcting the problem.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 082011

Wrangler 6-cyl

I am a second owner of a 2006 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. After purchasing the Jeep, I experienced the "death wobble". this is when the front right tire of the vehicle hits a bump at highway speeds and the front suspension goes into an undrivable wobble. To recover you either take your foot of the accelerator or attempt to brake. There are youtube videos showing this occurring. I took the Jeep to a shop where the owner had a Jeep and knew about the "death wobble". he aligned the vehicle and inspected all the front end suspension parts. This did not help. He balanced all the tires. This helped for but the wobble returned. After returning to the service shop the owner replaced the control arm bushings. This helped for 2-3 days. Now the death wobble is back. The Jeep is unsafe to drive.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 052011

Wrangler

We own a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X with around 60,000 miles on it. It started a terrible wobble in the front end that is called "death wobble" I have done multiple repairs and replacements of parts to no avail. I called the local Chrysler dealership for advice their answer was to replace the steering stabilizer. I stated that this had already been done their response was " I don't know what to tell you then." This problem occurs at 50 miles per hour and when it begins the vehicle must come to complete stop to end the wobble. The Jeep has been in the shop multiple times for this problem and no fix has been found. I have rotated the tires twice and that works for about a week and the problem returns. The tires have been rebalanced twice also. I have replaced all the shocks, the steering stabilizer, and it has been realigned two times. This is a major problem for many people as can be seen if "death wobble" is searched on google. There is no known repair for this problem and Chrysler continues to ignore it.

- Hardy, VA, USA

Nov 172010

Wrangler

My 2006 Jeep Wrangler shakes so bad it is scary. At 45-65 mph and for no reason start shaking violently. I spent $1600 on new parts. New shocks, new rims, new steering damper, new tracking bar. New camber, new bushing, new control arms. Nothing works. I must pull off the highway to make it stop. This Jeep is dangerous!!!!

- Sac, CA, USA

Aug 022010

Wrangler 6-cyl

I want to report an issue with my Jeep Wrangler 2006. I bought this car from Jeep in annapolis Maryland Jeep 2006 with 9,343 miles on it. Two months later it began shaking uncontrollably at 50-55 mph. Only at this speed. This is very scary when it happens and have almost gone off the road. The only way to stop it is to accelerate to higher speed or to slow down. I took it back to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle and they did a an alignment. The shaking stopped and 1 month later it started again. A year later, of just putting up with this I bring the Jeep back to the dealer. They tell me that the cause is from worn tie rods and steering damper worn. If this is the cause of the shake then they should have told me this a year ago. I think the worn parts are a result from the shake. Not the cause. Either way, the Jeep now has 26,000 miles and I'm already being told to put 2000 dollars into it for worn parts. These parts are wearing prematurely because of the shake but no one can determine the cause. If I had bought the car new, I could have used the lemon law but unfortunately, I bought it with low mileage used. This is a very dangerous situation and wondering if it will take a death for someone to recall these like the problem with Toyota accelerator. Its very frustration, and the average person does not have the time or money to fight something like this. I have seen so many people with the same complaints on the internet. Something should be done.

- Annapolis, MD, USA