2006 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Wrangler:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 032016

Wrangler

2006 Jeep Wrangler. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle exhibits severe/ violent vibration "Jeep death wobble" issues. Dealership has no solutions other than tire rotation and alignments. The consumer stated the vibration was so severe, he had to slow the vehicle down, because it felt as though the vehicle was falling apart.

- Breckenridge, CO, USA

Jan 022013

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. While driving over 50 mph, the vehicle suddenly began to shake and vibrate violently. The contact indicated that the shocks and brake rotors were replaced and the tires were rotated, but the failure continued. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Bland, VA, USA

Jul 222007

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel vibrated and shook when the vehicle drove over a bump. The contact had to hold the steering wheel aggressively, slow down, and stop the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the shocks and tires needed to be replaced. The parts were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 8,000.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 012015

Wrangler

The Jeep has what has been termed the Jeep death wobble. The Jeep is all stock, not lifted at all. I have fired the parts cannon at the Jeep...all the work has been performed by factory trained technicians using oe parts. I have changed the tires twice in 20,000 miles. The Jeep gets a terrible wobble on the highway at 55mph (speed limit on 465 in indianapolis) and can only be brought under control by stopping the vehicle. Even though I have never been in an accident caused by the excessive wobble, it is definitely not safe to come to a complete stop on the highway. It's not always easy to pull over to the side of the road on a busy interstate highway. The fuel filler neck often overflows when filling the fuel tank also. There was a recall on some Jeep for this same problem. However, the Jeep dealership said my specific Jeep doesn't qualify for the fixing of the issue. It is definitely not safe to have a fuel filler neck that doesn't stop the fuel nozzle from flowing.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 292012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When I first bought the 2006 Jeep Wrangler, and drove it home, when I got up to between 50-55 mph, the whole front end of the Jeep shimmied or wobbled violently. I looked up the problem online to find out if this was a common complaint, and exactly what the call what my Jeep was doing. This is when I found out what it was doing was called, "the death wobble". I then took the Jeep back to carmax where I bought it used, and showed the carmax mechanics what I had printed out from on line. They then, and I quote, fixed the problem. Well this fix only lasted about a 2 years and it is now back to doing this death wobble again. Apparently the "fix" was not a permanent one, and of course my 2006 Jeep is no longer under the 12 month limited warranty any longer. I need to know if there was ever a safety recall on this problem at the manufacturer's expense, obviously this is a design flaw, which I have found out that supposedly can be permanently fixed. The problem for me is, I can't afford the cost to do the fix. Thank you for your time.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Jan 022014

Wrangler

I was traveling at about 45 mph on open road when the vehicle shook so bad I pulled off the road, because I had trouble hanging on to the wheel. I looked this up and it was called a death wobble. I bought the vehicle used in 2013 after trading in a 1999 Wrangler that I never had such a problem with. I have replaced the stabilizer bar and stabilizer link bushings, track bar and bushings and still get a wobble but not as bad. There is certainly something wrong but no one is admitting it. Why does it take someone getting seriously injured or killed to get the problem recognized and fixed.

- Kathleen, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Wrangler

I was driving on the interstate at a speed of about 55-60 miles per hour. I drove into a curved part of the interstate that veered to the left and when I traveled through it, the whole Jeep began to shake violently. I slowed down to pull over and when I reached about 40 miles per hour, the shaking stopped. I asked a mechanic about it and he said that this "death rattle" is a common problem with Jeep. We changed the tires and the steering damper. This seemed to fix the problem for a while but a year later the shaking came back. I did some investigating on the internet about the death wobble and found out that the cause can be one or more of a number of things on the front end. I had the track bar changed and that helped about 80%. now, 8 months later the shaking is back. I understand from the internet that this death wobble problem is rampant across the country with different Jeep owners. Yet Chrysler will not admit that there is a problem. Is there any recourse other than me spending hundreds to thousands of my dollars to fix a problem that is obviously the fault of Chrysler?

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 012013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased the Wrangler in about October of 2009. Since then, the fuel tank over-spills when it is filled at the gas pumps. It caused damage to the paint and to the plastic wheel guard. Of greater concern is death wobble. The front end violently shakes at highway speeds from time to time. The vehicle is hard to control. I made attempts in 2013 and 2014 to fix it, only to have the problem return. In 2013 the steering damper and steering stabilizer bar was replaced. In 2014, the tires were replaced and aligned. The problem returned this year, and is at its worst.

- Nyack, NY, USA

May 102010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving down a city road and 45-50 miles the Jeep shook so hard had to pull over. We towed it to brookings or and had the front end aligned 00. In the fall we traveled to Oklahoma and we were driving Jeep on a freeway and @ about 55 it started that shimmy again, so we brought new tires for it. We just took it back to tire shop 2 weeks ago for another alignment 00, service guy told us we should check with any recalls on our Jeep. Never could get rid of the shimmy! would be happy for a fix.

- Alturas, CA, USA

Jan 152012

Wrangler 6-cyl

This vehicle was purchased on 31 December 2011. The following month I experienced a severe steering shimmy traveling between 55 and 60 mph. Either increasing or decreasing speed ends the severe wobble of the front wheels and steering wheel. If I am not able to increase or decrease speed the wobble would continue. During the wobble the vehicle does not respond to steering commands and is therefore very dangerous. This problem has continued to occur many times at the above speed and can be recreated on a regular basis. I have acquired the Jeep tsb, but it does not provide the repair process information. In speaking with other owners the "so called" fix is to replace the steering dampener. No owner, online or in person, has reported this to stop the problem from occurring. Please acknowledge and report what can be done to eliminate this problem. I like this vehicle and would like to keep it but, in this condition I am hesitant to have other family members operate the vehicle. I also do not wish to pass the problem to the next owner.

- Riverton, UT, USA

May 132014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Car began to violently shake when I hit a pothole on the freeway going 65mph. Seat belt pinned me to seat so I couldn't safely turn around to change lanes to get off freeway. It was dark outside and very dangerous. This problem is all over the internet and known as the death wobble. It was taken the dealer to be repaired right after it happened. They replaced the steering stabilizer, but 5 weeks later it happened again. Do not feel safe driving this car I have only owned for 7 months.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

May 032010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Since my purchase of my 2006 Jeep Wrangler, at the speed between 50 to 60 mph, the front begins to shake uncontrollably. I cannot control the auto - I cannot stear it, I cannot stop the shaking. It is incredibly dangerous. Why are you folks allowed to sell this product to the public? this needs to be recognised by the manufacturing / designering concerns at Jeep. Gentlemen... please be men and take responsibility for this faulty product. You are putting the consumer and others traveling on the roadways in life and death danger. This is America!!!! nothing more needs to be said. You are aware of the problem, now... take care of it.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Jul 012010

Wrangler

My Jeep experiences what's known as the "death wobble." It has happened for years, but I had always been told that my tires were out of balance, or that I needed a front wheel alignment. Those fixes would help for a couple of months, and then the shake would return. Just in the last 6-8 months did a mechanic actually tell me about the wobble, what really seems to cause it, and that it's a known issue with Jeep. My Jeep is stock, with no modifications, but I still get the wobble. It occurred 3 times this morning on the 5 freeway in san diego county, each time at speeds between 55-68 miles per hour. The front end of the Jeep shakes violently, and the only way to stop the shaking is to come to a complete stop. Luckily, I've always been able to pull over safely to the shoulder of the freeway. A few months ago it happened, and a co-worker was following me in a different vehicle. He said my front tires were actually smoking because of the way the tires moved on the freeway.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Aug 222012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Since purchasing my 2006 Jeep Wrangler unlimited, I have had multiple issues with severe front-end instability (shimmy and shaking) when the vehicle travels approximately 50 miles per hour. Immediately after purchase, I spent hundreds of dollars on front-end work, tire balance, and tire rotation work, in an attempt to resolve the issue. However, despite a slight initial reduction in the problem, the shimmy and shaking returned soon after the work I had done, and has become progressively worse. This issue is so common that thousands of people in online Jeep communities have named the condition, "death wobble.," since the issue can render a vehicle virtually undrivable. I fear for my personal safety, and for that of my wife and young children when we travel in this vehicle. My request is that Chrysler stop denying that there is a dangerous, potentially life threatening condition involving multiple Jeep production year models. I request that a solution be engineered as quickly as possible in the interest of my family' safety, and the safety of the general public.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jul 072010

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle jerked violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the damper was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 15,000 and the current mileage was 30,000.

- Heathsville, VA, USA

Oct 032008

Wrangler 6-cyl

I bought the vehicle used with 16,500 miles on it. A week after I was accelerating on to the interstate when I hit approximately 50 mph the Jeep started to shake violently. I had to come to an almost complete stop on the interstate to get it to stop. I first thought it was the tires but it had a brand new set on it. So I had them micro balanced. It didn't do again for about 2 weeks until I tried to get on the interstate again at 50 mph. I took it to Jeep because it was still under warrant and was told because it had one size larger tires it was not covered under warranty. At 19500 miles I replaced 4 ball joints, complete heavy duty drag link system with new tie rod ends, new hd track bar, 4 new shocks, new front springs, hd steering damper, tires micro balanced, wheel alignment that lasted about two months before it did it again. I now have 31,000 miles on it and still fighting the death wobble. I have spent over a 1000 dollars to try and fix this. I believe that should be looked into because someone will get killed. I think it's only a matter of time.

- Green Valley, AZ, USA

Jan 132014

Wrangler 6-cyl

While traveling across a bridge, at approximately 45 mph, after hitting a bump the stearing wheel started to wobble greatly. Had to slow the vehicle to approx. 30 mph to get it to stop wobbling. When I increased speed the symptom did not happen again. I took the vehicle to a tire shop had had them ballance all wheels. When I left the shop when I reached 45 mph 10 minutes later the wobble occured again.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Dec 062013

Wrangler 6-cyl

After hitting a bump my Jeep's steering violently shakes until I slow down. It feels like I may lose control of the vehicle. This has occurred on several occasions. It is very unsafe. The wheels were recently replaced and balanced which did not fix the problem.

- Apo, AE, USA

Apr 032006

Wrangler

My Jeep goes into a death wobble whenever I hit 50-55 mph. There are time I have to grip the steering wheel w/both hands, with a death grip for fear I will lose control of the vehicle and will leave my lane or flip over. I have driven several Jeep and other autos and have never ever ever been so frightened of crashing. This needs to be recalled by Chrysler to figure out the problem.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 292013

Wrangler

I borrowed my husband's Jeep and as soon as I went above 50 the whole thing started shaking real violently. I had a hard time controlling it. I pulled over and called him. He said it's been happening for a few weeks and always takes back roads to avoid driving faster. I had to put on the hazard lights and cruise to the nearest exit. Thank goodness my kids weren't with me because I wasn't strong enough to control it. It scared the daylights out of me. Then I saw online it was a common problem(with modifications-too bad we never did any) but not a big enough deal to have a recall. Let them drive it and see how quick it gets done. Dangerous. They say it's an easy fix after you try half a dozen things. Great! let me get my checkbook...

- Mentor, OH, USA