2008 Jeep Wrangler seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 4 of 14)

Nov 042015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V176000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lockhart, TX, USA

Nov 232015

Wrangler

On a 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags. The vehicle also no longer has functioning speed control. This has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2007-2012 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. The faulty clockspring is the a safely concern due to a potential airbag failure in the 2009 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident.

- Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA

Oct 202015

Wrangler

Failed clockspring at 104,000 miles. Intermitted airbag light.

- Farmington, UT, USA

Sep 112015

Wrangler

Airbag light would come on then off repeatedly, while stationary and in motion. Took into dealership diagnosed as "clock spring failed".

- Temecula, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Wrangler

My airbag light is constantly on and my cruise control no longer works. I am a lhd 2008 Wrangler and as I have seen across the internet this is a huge problem. Why is there no recall on the lhd 2008 Wrangler when there is for the RHD and 2007 lhd Wrangler. The same clock springs are used in all these vehicles and they are faulty across the board. This needs to be a recall as my airbag will not deploy if I get into an accident. Chrysler is responsible and should be held accountable for this issue in my model yr and lhd. It doesn't matter if I am sitting, drive or whatever the airbag light is always on as soon as I start the engine and my cruise control does not work.

- Avon, IN, USA

Oct 182015

Wrangler

The airbag light and chime randomly turns on and off while driving under all conditions.

- Highland, IL, USA

Sep 102015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the brake pedal was slow to respond and the slippery road warning light flashed while driving during inclement weather. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was applied but failed to respond causing the contact to crash into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and the contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 10V236000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 08V202000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was towed to an unknown location and was not diagnosed or repaired.. the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Moundsville, WV, USA

Sep 072015

Wrangler

Air bag warning light comes on frequently and intermittently. Dealer has confirmed failure is the steering column clock spring. This is a known defect with an open recall investigation.

- Los Alamos, NM, USA

Sep 032015

Wrangler

On my 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, seems to happen when turning steering wheel. Dealership diagnosed as a faulty clockspring. This has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern on 2008 lhd of their faulty clockspring. (this is the same exact part & # as those recalled from your investigation #PE11019.) please help us...many many reporting same issue

- Mokena Il, IL, USA

Sep 102015

Wrangler

Airbag light continually goes on and off with chime while driving. Research shows this is being investigated by ODI and there should be a recall as this affects the driver side on lhd models. Possible clockspring wiring issue. This is a serious safety concern and not just a routine "wear and tear" problem. Chrysler Fiat needs to issue a recall and fix the problem.

- Evergreen, CO, USA

Aug 222015

Wrangler

On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- Stockholm, NJ, USA

Jul 012014

Wrangler

Air bag light come on and has stayed on. Since this happened the cruise control no longer works. From what I've reviewed this is a bad clock spring.

- Fruitvale, TX, USA

Aug 042015

Wrangler

The vehicle displayed an airbag warning light (flashed on and off) that indicated a failure of the clockspring wiring in the driver side air bag circuit. Code B1B06 set for driver airbag squib circuit 2 open an internal short inside of the clockspring was found. Replaced clockspring module.

- Olney, MD, USA

Aug 102015

Wrangler

The airbag alarm goes off randomly (it might be 5-10 seconds, or several minutes between). After researching online, I see that this is often caused by the clock spring, which was recalled on the 2007 Jeep Wrangler. Based on Jeep forums, many drivers are having this problem and I believe the part should be recalled. It is a safety issue and may affect air bag deployment.

- Alexandria, LA, USA

Aug 042015

Wrangler

While driving, the warning chime sounds and the red airbag light comes on. Then it goes off. Then it comes on again. It happens over and over. This problem seems similar to NHTSA campaign number: 13V176000 but I haven't received any recall notice from Chrysler.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Jul 182015

Wrangler

Recently the air bag light in my jk Jeep Wrangler (2008) began illuminating. I did some investigation prior to servicing it at the dealer and determined it was likely the clockwork spring since there were some many reports of failure. In addition, my electronic sway bar disconnect system would not re-engage after a camping trip. I drove down a mountain pass and on a stretch of 75 mph interstate without a sway and an air bag which was dangerous. I took it into the dealership to get both issues looked at. Jeep confirmed it was the clockwork spring causing the air bag light ($48 diagnosis) and that the sway bar disconnect motor ($96 diagnosis) had failed. They quoted me for $410 to get the clockwork spring fixed & $1410 to replace the sway bar. No promise was made to reimburse me for the diagnosis and repair cost should the issues become recalls since they are under investigation. I took initiative to self determine the cause of the sway bar not reconnecting since I suspected that the electronic motor was still functioning (I could hear and feel to motor operating before & after I took my vehicle into the dealership for service). After disassembling (never been tampered with prior), I found water and rusty parts inside and could see that the unit as poorly designed judging from the one small spring that is suppose to work to re-engage the sway bar by pushing the internal gears (now rusty) back together. I simply applied some grease to the parts and reinstalled the unit. To my delight this allowed the motor to reconnect the sway bar. It is unconscionable to put motorist in harms way without a functioning air bag system and / or sway bar due to poorly vehicle construction and then charge for diagnosis and repair costs. Please issue recalls for the clockwork spring and the lack of water protection for the electronic sway bar disconnect system before fatalities occur.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jul 102015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. Approximately two weeks ago, the air bag warning indicator started flashing and a chime sound was heard. The air bag warning indicator remained illuminated and the chime sound continued every time the vehicle was driven. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic nor a dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 134,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 102015

Wrangler

July 10, 2015: Driving to work approximately 8:15 am cst. Car in front of me stopped suddenly and I felt the breaks were not slowing the vehicle down enough to avoid impact. With a vehicle on my right, my only option was to go left. I never saw the truck in the oncoming lane and hit head on. The airbag did not deploy on the driver's side. It did deploy on the passenger side, but no one else was in the vehicle with me. The upper body portion of the seat belt did not restrain me and I slammed face first into the steering wheel. I suffered a broken and dislocated wrist that required surgery, severe bruising of face, arms, chest, hips and legs. I feel this is a huge safety concern and should be rectified immediately.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Jul 082015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front driver side air bag clock spring failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000. Updated 09/21/15

- Glen Rock, PA, USA

Jul 032015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The air bag warning light since the first occurrence has continued to illuminate and the associated chime has sounded since the first time on July 3, 2015. I first though it was speed sensitive, but later discovered it happens when the steering wheel is turned. I then took it to my mechanic and was informed it was the drivers side clock spring....updated 09/22/15

- Brewer, ME, USA