2008 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Aug 162013

Upon getting up to speed around 45 miles per hour, front end of vehicle starts shaking uncontrollably if even a slight bump is hit on the roadway. It is the so called "death wobble" so often talked about on the internet and in Wrangler forums. Mechanic replaced steering dampener which minimized the problem but it still continues to happen sometimes. Mechanic cannot find anything else that is loose with the suspension.

- Kihei, HI, USA

Sep 242014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Was driving around 50 mph front end started to shake so hard it was hard to hang on to steering wheel, hit the brakes hard, once vehicle almost stopped it stopped shaking, wife was with me and said she would never ride in it again. Seems like Jeep would man up, I'm not the only one with this problem.

- Corunna, IN, USA

Jul 012014

Several issues with the vehicle: 1. "death wobble" vehicle intermittently shakes violently over 45 mph. Stop vehicle and starts running fine. 2. suspect bad tipm. Intermittent horn and wipers turn on after opening driver door. Next, car sometimes will not start. Tapping the tipm will allow it to start. Next with ignition off and key out, engine continues to run until tapping the module. Finally, now the engine will just stop intermittently while driving down the road. Found that both of these issues are common problems with Jeep.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Jan 152014

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 55 mph, the entire front end of the vehicle shook violently. The contact decelerated to 40 mph in an effort to cease the shaking. An independent mechanic replaced the tires; however, the failure recurred when the vehicle was driven more than 55 mph. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic again and had the steering damper replaced twice, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000

- Ardmore, OK, USA

Jul 042014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving down the 101 freeway in los angeles experienced the "death wobble" had it service on 06/24/14, alignment down, blown steering stabilizer replaced, tires balanced, and still it happened again. In April of 2014 I experience the same occurance eleven times driving 40mph on South victoria blvd in ventura California. My whole family was in the car. Had it serviced immediately the next day. No one can seem to fix the issue this death wobble has occurred numerous times since I bought the Jeep in January of 2011. Can you help?

- North Hills, CA, USA

Jan 132014

Death wobble. The front end vibrates violently that can and will cause accidents.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Feb 222014

Driving home on a Saturday evening accelerating up to 55 mph once the vehicle hit 48-50 mph the front end began to shake/vibrate violently slowing down did not stop the vibrations I needed to pull off the road and come to a complete stop. The above repeated 3-4 times during the course of the trip. Took the vehicle to the dealership the following Monday and was told by the dealership that I experienced the "death wobble" they replaced the steering damper and rotated the tires. I have driven approximately 1,000 miles since that service appointment and am now experiencing the "death wobble" again, I am already out $1,200 for the initial repair attempt. The steering damper replacement appears to have only masked the problem for a short amount of time and is not a fix but a patch job which is likely resulting in further damage to other portions of the steering/suspension system. There are several reports of this both in your system and throughout the internet something is clearly wrong with these vehicles and it needs to be addressed. The complete loss of vehicle steering control during the shaking is going to get someone killed and it seems like that is what all the regulators are waiting for before taking any action to get this issue fixed.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Mar 302014

2008 Jeep Wrangler, driving when hit a bump, front end began shaking violently. With a dozen or so vehicles behind me, at 55 mph had to quickly pull off the road to avoid a pile up. This has happened to us on 2 different Jeep, a 98 Wrangler and this 08. This 08 has almost mew tires and the front end is still tight. This is the most recent of several times the Jeep has began to shake violently in the last year.

- 49686-0000, MI, USA

Oct 242013

My 2008 Jeep Wrangler has developed a terrible vibration when I hit road bumps at highway speeds. The whole Jeep begins to vibrate to the point I have to pullover and stop the vehicle to gain control. I installed new tires and it is still occurring. I have reported this to Chrysler Corp customer service dept they advised me to take it to a dealer to document the problem. This issue began at 50000 miles. I replaced the tires and it went away it has stated again now and replacing the tires has not fixed it I am very concerned that Chrysler is ignoring this problem as Jeep owners know about what they call the "death wobble". I expect that you will follow up on this as it is totally irresponsible of Chrysler to continue to sell Jeep that they know have defective parts.

- Schaghticoke, NY, USA

Mar 042014

Commonly called "Jeep death wobble". driving on a straight road at approximately 45 mph my steering wheel started to shake slightly, then became worse. Within about 5 seconds my wheel was shaking so badly that I couldn't hold the wheel. I did all I could to slow and pull the vehicle onto the shoulder. I found nothing wrong and went back on my way with no further issues. My vehicle is a stock Jeep with the only difference being newer tires (stock size) that are in good condition.

- St Cloud, FL, USA

Jan 102014

I was on the highway and all of a sudden my airbag light came on. Didn't know what was going on so I pulled over. I thought maybe it was just a one time thing but I traveled over 1000 miles with it dinging every little while. When I got to my destination the light was still coming on and I was told it was a spring and would cost $400 to $500 to fix. I feel that it is not my responsibility to fix since it is a safety issue. But not only that I also had to get the ball joints replaced, both upper and lower which cost over $1000. I was told by the mechanic that Jeep does not put grease fittings on them so that they eventually go out. This could cause a very serious accident and these issues need to be resolved by the company before someone get hurt or worse killed. I love my Jeep but all these issues are really disturbing. One other issue I noticed is I am always having to check the oil which is usually low. Not sure what that is but I know others have complained about this.

- Ft Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jan 242013

At 65 mph after hitting a couple of normal bumps where bridge surface meets the interstate, the front end shook so violently that it felt like body would separate from the frame. This is no subtle "shimmy or vibration" it makes you jump on the brakes and hope that the 18 wheeler behind you does not run over you. I think the center lane could be deadly when it occurs, because you can not find the berm fast enough. It goes away until the next time. Had steering stabilizer up sized, but to no avail. It has happened twice on highway since first incident. It is only a matter of time until we hear about fatalities. I am looking into larger shock absorbers as my mechanic says they are probably under sized for the tires. I am grateful my daughter was not driving it at the time. As a retired firefighter it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to dangerous situations. This is going to kill someone if it has not already taken lives.

- Olmsted Township, OH, USA

Jan 312013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have now experience the "death wobble"!!!!!!!!! this is a safety issue and needs to be addressed!!! this should be a recall!!!! I have now had this happen 3 out of the 5 times I have drove it!!!!!!!!! I am terrified to drive my used unpaid for vehicle!!!!! this needs to be fixed. I would never had bought this Jeep if I had know about this issue that Jeep knows about. Someone will eventually die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was driving home from work in the slow lane and had to pull off the road to get my vehicle under control. Again!!! I am terrified!!!! help us poor Jeep drives and make Jeep fix this issue.

- Dixon, CA, USA

Nov 212013

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 50 mph, the vehicle shook violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Erie, PA, USA

Sep 162013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Original owner. While descending a long hill I applied my brakes to slow down. The vehicle, front end, began to shake violently. It took some time to correct the problem, stop shaking, while descending with traffic. Very upsetting. Also noticed this occurrence on flat pavement and various speeds, 40 to 60 mph. We recently took another trip and noticed the problem is occurring frequently. Our family would appreciate NHTSA to look into this matter. I recently noticed other complaints similar to this one. Just wondering if Jeep Chrysler is aware of this dangerous problem and what are they doing about it. I am making an appointment with a Jeep Chrysler dealership to see if they can correct this problem. Thank you for looking into this matter in a timely fashion.

- Yulee, FL, USA

Sep 262013

Vehicle towbar brake fluid leaks suspension transmission.

- Washington , DC, USA

Aug 022013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving 45mph and making a slight bend to the left or right, the vehicle encountered a slight bump and the steering wheel started shaking violently. I had to bring the vehicle to a complete stop along the side of the road in order to get the shaking to stop. This happened several times during this trip. The vehicle was very difficult to control once the shaking started. It felt as though the entire vehicle would just shake apart. There is also a clicking feeling that can be felt in the steering once the vehicle warms up and is driven between 5 to 10 miles. The steering actually feels more loose once this warmed up condition is met. The click is felt going over any type of bump in the road or even when sitting still and the steering wheel is moved back and forth, (left to right).

- New Castle, PA, USA

Jul 242013

My Jeep Wrangler unlimited 2008 upper and lower ball joints have worn out at 49,000 miles. They have caused brand new tires rated for 60,000 miles to wear out at 20,000 miles. The ball joints that were installed by the factory were designed to not allow ongoing maintenance to them. There is not a well to put grease in to keep the ball joints functioning properly. The Jeep has never been lifted or used off-road. This is a common complaint among Jeep drivers that I have found. Many mechanic say it is a factory defect.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 132010

Since 2010 if not sooner, my Jeep Wrangler sahara 2008 had a red light and air pressure light come on and off as a I drove. I took it to the Jeep dealer I bought it from 2-3 times for this and they could not duplicate it so they would not fix it despite showing a video of it. In 2010 my steering damper went bad and I had to pay to get it fixed. I almost crashed 3-5 times due to the wheels violently going back and forth doing 50-65 on the highways. It was terrible. It is now 2013 and its happening all over again. I do not feel it is right to pay for this when it is clearly an issue Jeep needs to resolve.

- Colts Neck, NJ, USA

May 282013

Wrangler 6-cyl

'08 Jeep Wrangler sahara displays truly alarming wheel vibration under light braking when descending from altitude. Altitude is usually around 10,000 feet, grade is usually 6-7% and speed 55-65mph. To-date I have only replicated this problem at altitude (kings canyon/sequoia in ca and in the rockies on the I70 in co to name a couple of incidents) so it"S unlikely to be the notorious "Jeep death wobble, " though it may be a related issue. I?M wondering whether the viscosity of the brake fluid may be a factor" Jeep referred me to a dealer but I don't want an opinion from a repair shop, I want (and deserve) an explanation from "the manufacturer" of the vehicle as to why their vehicle is suddenly so difficult to control under braking.

- Hermosa Beach, CA, USA