2008 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Oct 142011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Vehicle begins to shudder from road conditions, then when you strike a bump, or the road surface changes, the vehicles then violently shakes and will not cease until slowed to 30mph or increased to 70mph. Very dangerous situation on freeways. It appears that the entire front end is about to shake the wheels loose, then transfers to the rear wheels sometimes. Then when it appears the phenomena is over, it can reoccur again just as quickly. My wife refuses to drive it, nor will she allow my son to ride in it until it is resolved.

- Kapolei, HI, USA

Aug 142009

Wrangler 6-cyl

The Jeep shakes violently when it hits a bump in the road. It seems to happen mostly on the highways, although it will occur on a city road. During this shaking the brakes do not slow the car down and it is impossible to steer to the side of the road. This is extremely scary and dangerous. The car has been in numerous times and nothing seems to fix the problem.

- Milford, CT, USA

May 182011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on interstate 70 at approximately 65mph, I hit a bump, and my Jeep started to shake and vibrate so dramatically that I had to slow down to about 35mph before it would stop. I was so frightened that I pulled over and was afraid to continue driving. Thinking it was my tires about ready to fall off, I creeped off of the interstate and drove about 15mph back to the tire dealership where I had bought my tires. They could find nothing wrong. I then took it to the Jeep dealership and they replaced the steering dampner and updated a bracket. It did not fix the problem. I took it back to the dealership where they then replaced the drag link end. They then told me it had to be the tires. They, not one time, mentioned what I have now researched and found to be a "death wobble" problem that many Jeep owners have experienced. I don't know what to do next. The problem has not been fixed and my tires only have 15K miles on them and I am thinking this is not the problem. The wobble that I have experienced now dozens of times is not only frightening but I fear is very dangerous. I'm not sure what my recourse is at this point.

- Eagle, CO, USA

Apr 042011

Wrangler 6-cyl

The vehicle shakes out of control at 50mph or after hitting a bump or flaw in the black top road. The steering wheel shakes out of my hands and you can not get the vehicle controlled until you come to a complete stop. I have replaced tires, shocks and control arms but this will not fix the problem. No one can tell me how to fix the problem and I am unable to drive on a freeway, because I will either hit someone or someone will hit me. People will not drive in my vehicle because of this problem and when someone see it happen, they tell me it looks like the front wheels are going to fall off.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 142011

Wrangler 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 40 mph over a bump in the road, the front end of the vehicle began to shake violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the tires were balanced, rotated and aligned. The failure occurred a second time; yet, the vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated there was a design flaw within the wheels. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 8/29/11 the consumer believed the defect was in the suspension system, not in the wheels. Updated 10/03/11

- West Berlin, NJ, USA

Sep 012008

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that whenever she would drive over an uneven road surface, the vehicle would violently shake abnormally. The failure recurred while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer five times where they were unable to diagnose the failure. Various repairs were performed on the vehicle, but the failure continued. The failure mileage was 6,000 and the current mileage was 68,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jun 102011

Driving westbound on M-59 in hartland, mi I hit a very small bump in the road and the Jeep started to shudder very violently. I had to pull over to the side of the road and stop in order for the shudder to go away. After doing much research on the internet, I have now found out that this is called the death wobble and is a highly common problem that Chrysler is aware of and has not done anything to let the public know of the issue.

- Milford, MI, USA

Feb 082011

We were driving on a limited access highway when I hit a section of rough a rough road about 6 feet long. The front end, steering wheel & transmission shook violently! once I got below 45 mph it stopped. I could not steer the vehicle. This has happened 6 times now at speeds as low as 50 mph. It would happen a lot more if I did not slow down when I come across patched spots in the road or where overpasses and bridges meet the solid road bed. On smooth roads, there is no vibration that I can feel. I talked to the previous owner and he never had a problem. It has never been off road, lifted or wrecked. The garage replaced the steering gear box under warranty and I paid for the alignment check and tire balance. I rotated the tired and then put a new tire on the right front. I checked for play in all the suspension and steering and found very little. The garage said they found none. I then installed a heavy duty steering stabilizer. It did not help. The garage said there was nothing more they could do. When I asked Jeep was their a problem called death wobble, because there are a lot of postings, they did not answer. Instead, the service manager suggested I buy 4 new tires and get a road force balance. A friend sent me to another Jeep dealer to talk to his friend, who was well aware of the problem and had not been able to fix it on other Jeep. There was no remedy or help from Chrysler Jeep. He has had it happen to him and will not ride in or drive one again. He suggested not driving interstates and below 55 mph on the highway. I am 68 year old retired car, truck, heavy equipment and industrial mechanic supervisor. The Jeep is unsafe to drive on the highway.

- Moundsville, WV, USA

Mar 172009

The vehicle has the notorious death wobble, in that on certain downhill grades and or hitting a series of small bumps between 45 -55 mph the front end violently begins to wobble, the cab begins rocking, the steering wheel is out of control, and after braking to 35mph control of the vehicle is regained. The vehicle has not been altered in any way from the factory. It was purchased with 12 miles on odometer and know has 28.889 miles. The vehicle has been in service at the dealer numerous time for repairs, and each time the dealer says that should solve the problem, but does not, in fact the Jeep goes back in next Monday for further repairs. I've contacted Jeep twice to no avail, they pretend to never have heard of the problem as does the dealer although they still find something to repair but never fully fixing the problem. If one goes to google and types in death wobble up come Jeep, with videos of the wobble but I guess they don't have internet access for their eyes glaze over in incomprehension and denial. Is there a solution for this? I do not feel safe in this vehicle.

- Point Reyes Station, CA, USA

Mar 152010

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that when the vehicle exceeded 40 mph, it would begin to wobble. The vehicle went through inspected and nothing was found. The steering stabilizer was replaced which did not remedy the problem; the local mechanic stated that he would attempt to replace the track bar. The VIN was unavailable at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 39,500. The current mileage was approximately 41,000. Updated 10/27/10.

- Consouence, PA, USA