2009 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

2009 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 202013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Death wobble, uncontrollable violent shaking between 30 & 50 mph. Serious safety issue at highway speeds being unable to control the vehicle's steering out of harms way. I have had it to two different dealerships three different times and I'm told that there is nothing wrong with it. It's obvious that there is a problem and I'm not the only one with this issue. A quick internet search on Jeep death wobble will confirm this. Chrysler needs to be held accountable and fix this problem before someone gets killed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Decatur, IL, USA

Aug 202013

Cpsc: I1440019A. 2009 Jeep Wrangler XL. Consumer stated that around 32,000 miles, his vehicle developed what is called the "death wobble", uncontrolled shimmy at highway speeds which only resolves by braking and coming to a near stop. After great effort, Chrysler reimbursed the consumer $849.07 of the $ $1793.47 he paid to have the entire front end rebuilt. The dealer replaced the steering damper with an updated assembly which required different hardware, to fix the problem. The consumer filed a complaint with Chrysler for reimbursement, for $336.67. They reimbursement him for the parts only. The consumer continued to experience problems, so the dealer did a complete examination of the vehicle, and found all 4 ball joints and drag link were out of specifications.

- Pleasant Hill, MO, USA

Apr 012014

Around 30,000 miles I would notice a slight shimmy in the front end at freeway speeds when a small bump was hit. This would usually last a few seconds and then drive normal. I read some thing online about this and it seemed like it was a normal thing for this 4dr Jeep model. In early March 2014 about 39000 miles I hit a big bump on the freeway and the front end shimmy was so intense I thought the front passenger tire was flat at first it seemed like it was coming off. A few hours later this happened again before I made it home. I did research and found the references to the "death wobble" and knew that's what it was. I was thankful no one else was in the car with me. Another Jeep owner I know knew the term and had heard about these problems. Then April 1st hit a bump I could not avoid on the pot hole infested milwaukee streets and it happened again the tire felt like it was coming off and almost had accident in the construction zone I was in. Called dealer and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Apparently Chrysler switched the dampener/brackets after the 2009 yr models when they noticed problems. Funny how that replacement I had to have done cost me $ 400+. you would think if they know there was a problem this wouldn't cost the consumer a penny. Especially since it is my life in jeopardy.

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Apr 012014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I got what is describe as the death wobble its what the mechanics say.its all over the internet. I want to know if this problem is this big why hasnt there been a recall. Ive been told this very common. Is Jeep/Chrysler waiting till people die to admit theres a problem or just covering it up.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Aug 122013

In August 2013 my Jeep Wrangler began to develop an unpredictable, uncontrollable, violent shimmy at highway speeds. Sometimes a small bump or a lane change would set an event off. Shimmy did not stop without hard braking and coming to a near stop. Commonly referred to as "death wobble". the first attempt at repair, mileage 30,381, was to replace the factory installed steering damper with a upgraded steering damper. The new steering damper required different hardware to install. My cost, $366.77 which Chrysler reimbursed the cost of parts @ $266.77. I am $100 out of pocket for labor costs to replace this defective part which was installed at the factory! the problem of uncontrolled shimmy was not fixed! the second attempt to repair my vehicle, mileage 32,982, was to balance and rotate all tires. The problem was not fixed! the third attempt to repair my vehicle, mileage 33,902, involved replacing all four defective ball joints and a defective drag link assembly. Cost to me, $1793.47. Chrysler eventually reimbursed the cost of parts @ $849.07. On this repair I am out of pocket $944.40 labor costs to replace defective parts as installed at the factory! I have filed a complaint with the better business bureau (case #9919310) and the case is still ongoing. No vehicle operated under normal conditions should have to have major components, which affect vehicle control and safety, fail and need replacement at less than 34,000 highway driven miles! I do not read anywhere on my service receipts stating the parts that have been replaced carry any warranty. I am very concerned that genuine Jeep parts are of the same quality as originally used by Jeep to manufacture my vehicle, and will fail again within the next 30,000 to 35,000 miles, if not sooner!

- Pleasant Hill, MO, USA

Sep 172013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Warning light for airbag system is activating every 30-50 seconds. Contacted my service department, they stated it is a "clock spring" in the steering system. Apparently, there are many claims for this from Jeep Wrangler owners.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle would occasionally experience a violent shaking from the front wheels when traveling approximately 50-60 mph. Seemed to typically be initiated by small bump in the road. Only way to stop the shaking was to almost come to a complete stop. Less than 10 mph. Took vehicle to mechanic who determined the steering stabilizer was defective.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Jul 122013

Wrangler 6-cyl

At highway speed (50-70 mph) vehicle would shake violently after hitting a bump. Vehicle needs to come to a complete stop to correct the wobble. After a little on line research, I discovered "death wobble." Service writers at both milosch palace Jeep and al deeby Jeep knew right away what I was talking about. I cannot believe there is not a safety recall for this. It seems everyone with knowledge of Jeep is aware of the issue. This is very dangerous on highways\interstates, especially for inexperienced drivers, because the vehicle needs to come to a stop to in order to stop the wobble. I am sure no one really cares what I have to say, but Jeep is very dirty on this one. I am a 45 year mechanical engineer in the automotive field. Can someone please tell me why there has not been a safety recall for this?

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Apr 242013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving at 50 mph and faster, when the vehicle hits a bump the steering starts to shake uncontrollably. The wheels shimmy from side to side and only stops when the vehicle slows to below 40 mph, and in some instances only stops when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. This is extremely scary and dangerous especially when it occurs on the highway, as you need to weave through traffic at a high speed to find a safe place to pull over. This issue is well known throughout the Jeep community, as it has it's own nickname the "death wobble". Chrysler has acknowledged that this has become a common issue among their vehicles; however, has done nothing in the form of recalls or service to help customers fix the issue. In a report by abc news, they stated that there have been over 600 reports of the same issue I have experienced. I brought my vehicle to a Chrysler certified auto shop to get it fixed and they could not identify the problem. They did a front end alignment on my car saying that might fix the problem; however, it did not. The "death wobble" has occurred in my vehicle 5 times since the initial incident in April.

- Greenfield, MA, USA

Jun 212013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I drove over a dip in the road at approximately 45mph and my car started shaking uncontrollably. I truly felt the car was coming apart and I would wreck. I let off the gas and the shaking stopped. I have since discovered the "death wobble" and feel this is exactly what happened to me.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Mar 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving my Jeep Wrangler 2009, I hit a bump in the road and the car went into the death wobble - violently shaking from side-to-side. The only way to stop it was to slow down or come to a near stop and then continue. It does this very often now - usually starts somewhere between 35-55 mph and just after hitting a bump.

- Stowe, VT, USA

Apr 242013

Today while driving down the road with kids hit a bump in road at 35 mph and the Jeep went into death wobble. Then something broke and I lost all steering power and could not turn wheels. Almost had a wreck. When I got the vehicle to a place to look at it the steering box had broken off.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Apr 182013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Last night I turned my car on...I noticed the airbag light stayed on longer than usual it went of but a couple minutes later it lighted up again for a couple seconds and from then it has been doing it, while driving it I noticed that my cruise control and horn are not working. I read a lot about the issue and I can for sure say its the clock spring, this makes a lot of sense when I bought the car in 2009 I received the car with a broken clock spring I had to go back the next day so they could replace it.

- San Ysidro, CA, USA

Feb 202013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Every time since February when I hit a bump the Jeep starts shaking violently. I keep hearing of it being the Jeep death wobble. It has torn up my tires and affected many parts and now I can not even hit a bump at 30 mph without it starting to shake. Not sure what to do to fix. I called my dealer to see what they suggested and they had never heard of the Jeep death wobble which Chrysler had apparently sent out a notice to all companies about it. I have heard of several complaints on this. My Jeep is stock and never been modified and never been taken off road. It is a family vehicle and now I just want to get rid of it!

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Mar 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Anytime you hit a pothole or bump in the road the vehicle goes into a violent shimmy/shake. When this occurs you must exit the roadway immediately and come to a complete stop before you can gain control of the vehicle. This vehicle is straight from the factory, no modifications have been made. I work in a garage on vehicles and have knowledge of mechanics of vehicles. There is no ball joints, tie rods, bushings etc. That has wear that would be responsible for this vehicle to have this dangerous issue. When you contact Jeep, they say to replace the steering stabilizer shock. There is a design flaw in the Jeep. This is why I have had to replace the steering stabilizer shock twice so far.

- Newport, TN, USA

Mar 262013

While driving approximately 45mph I experienced a violet shaking of the steering wheel and could not control the vehicle until the speed slowed to approximately 15mph. I researched on the internet and someone said Jeep used a bolt smaller than the hole on a track bar that connects the front axle to the vehicle and this gets wallowed out and causes this.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Feb 102013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving home at 60-65mph from baltimore with my cousin, fiancÉ and aunt when I hit a minor pothole. The entire steering wheel/front section starts to violently shake and I was unable to stop it until I stepped on the brakes and slowed the car down to almost 25 mph on the highway and almost drove off to the side of the road. This happened 4 other times following that incident in a matter of 2 weeks? time. Finally I called the dealership where I purchased the car. They told me it was the steering dampener and that I would have to replace it. They also told me that I had to pay for the part, even though I had purchased an extended warranty from them. I was told that this was very common on Jeep and although there have not been any reported deaths, I am positive this will one day lead to an accident and /or death. This is a very serious defect on Jeep's part and they need to address the issue before they kill someone. By the way, my car only has 37K miles on it. Still fairly new!

- Sunnyside, NY, USA

Feb 062013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have experience what is commonly referred to as the "Wrangler death wobble" on over three occasions. These are dangerous situations where the steering begins to wobble uncontrollably side to side. The violence of the wobble increases quickly making it tough to hold onto the steering wheel and maintain control, especially if this occurs in multi-lane roads. Increasing speed results in the wobble becoming more violent. The only way to recover is to brake quickly and bring your vehicle to a near stop (at least under 5 mph) before the wobbling subsides. The "death wobble" appears to be brought on by the Jeep tires hitting a pot hole, railroad crossing, or other rough spots in the road at a slight angle. Usually around 35+ mph. Faster speeds, such as highway (55-75) do not seem to create the issue but accelerating to enter a highway does, and has in my case as you pass between 30-40mph. To recover the driver aggressively apply the brakes (without warning to those behind them) as the wobble severity increases quickly. This creates a safety issue. The wobble also has an adverse affect on the steering dampers which soon begin leaking fluids from the violent wobbles.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jan 182013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate going 65 mph and all of a sudden the Jeep started shaking uncontrollably. I thought I was going to wreck and I was in a panic. I slowed down to an unsafe speed to make it stop. Then I exited and checked the vehicle out to my surprise everything was fine. So I got back on the road and continued on. Then I had to exit and it started doing it again. This time is was so violent I thought I was going to go off the exit and crash. I have never had a lift on my Jeep or anything it is all manufacture parts. I believe with all my heart that Jeep has made a faulty front end. When I contacted them they said they didn't know how to fix it. Please recall this it is very dangerous and going to get someone killed.

- Lexington, OK, USA

Jan 132010

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel began shaking violently as the entire vehicle began shaking abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised the contact that a wheel alignment would need to be performed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repairs on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA