2009 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

2009 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 242016

Wrangler

Violent shaking of the steering wheel when the Jeep goes over a bump in the road. This is a regular occurrence. The last incident, the hazard lights on the dash panel came on and have not been able to turn off since then. Happens mostly on the highway or when the vehicle is traveling at 45-55 mph.

- Frederiksted, VI, USA

Jun 192016

Wrangler

My Jeep has the death wobble. I have had it in the shop twice to get it fixed and spent over $3,000 so far to fix the problem and it has not be resolved! new parts and new tires have not helped. Someone is going to get hurt or killed. It happens all the time.

- Rolla, MO, USA

Mar 282016

Wrangler

Driving North bound on interstate 89 in New Hampshire approximately 65 mph, drove over a bridge abutment and the front end of my 2009 Jeep Wrangler start to violently shake. The violent shaking didn't stop until I slowed to 30 mph.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Jan 282016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. While driving at 55 mph, the steering wheel shook violently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 212015

Wrangler

Travelling on a straight road at approximately 50-60mph, hit a small bump in the road. The steering wheel began to shake a little then violently and almost lost control of the Jeep. I had to come to a compete stop in the middle of the road before the shaking would stop. I was scared too death. I had the Jeep checked over and nothing was broken or worn. Now afraid to drive the vehicle. There are many complaints on this site as well as the internet for the same issue. When will this be addressed before someone gets killed?

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Sep 202015

Wrangler

While driving North on bertrand drive near West congress street in lafayette, Louisiana, at approximately 40 miles per hour, the front wheels and steering wheel began wobbling violently. I maintained control of the vehicle while slowly driving into a parking lot. I performed a cursory inspection of the vehicle, but did not observe anything wrong. I researched the problem on the internet, and learned that the "death wobble" had resulted in Chrysler issuing technical service bulletins, but not a recall. I reported the incident to my local Jeep dealer and to Chrysler. Chrysler informed me that because a recall had not been issued, Chrysler would not have the vehicle repaired at no expense to me.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Sep 192015

Wrangler

Me and my dad were driving on the expressway and it was 65 miles an hour all of a sudden the Jeep started shaking violently and it did it 3 times while we're on the expressway. The Jeep was doin the death wobble and both of us were shaken up. The brakes went out and had a hard time stopping. It's ridiculous and I think that these parts should be recalled. I'm gonna call detroit tomorrow.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

May 012015

Wrangler

Bought a used 2009 Jeep didn't know anything about a death wobble. I was going down the interstate at about 60 mph hit a bump and the Jeep started shaking violently. Almost got hit trying to get off the interstate and stop. It does it every time I hit a bump in the road. Now I don't know what to do becasue we bought it used.

- Wlaker , LA, USA

May 022011

Wrangler

Vehicle shakes uncontrollably around 55 or when I hit a bumb, took the Jeep two the garage and explain what was going on and was told it was the tires so bought new tires and wasn't the problem, I looked up the death wobble and seen many people with Jeep have had the same problem and Jeep Chrysler won't do a recall and they should because this can very much cause an accident when you have no control, this is left up to the owners whom thought they bought a good product to figure out and pay to fix a problem that Jeep Chrysler should of fixed in the first place but it's all about profit and not safety !!!

- Hedgesville , WV, USA

Feb 012015

Wrangler

Violent shake that made me feel like the Jeep was going to fall apart...extremely dangerous and unsafe...this happened all of sudden...I did not hit anything to make this happen...Chrysler needs to do a recall since this has happened about 15 times since I purchased the vehicle less than a year ago....it does it even at 55-60 miles per hour... I have taken it to several mechanics to be fixed...joints, bars, shocks, and tires have been changed numerous times and it continues to shake violently.

- Kingwood , TX, USA

Jan 262015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the air bag warning light illuminated and a chime sounded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring on the steering wheel needed to be replaced and that the airbags may not deploy in the event of a crash. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Apr 192010

Wrangler 6-cyl

As the Jeep was brought up to speed it began shaking violently and out of control as the speed approached 50 mph. The shaking continued as I braked to a stop. The vehicle is unsafe to operate with this "death wobble". the problem is repeatable and happens at the same speed occasionally when bumps are hit.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 232014

Wrangler

I own a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Over the past year and a half, I have experienced increasing issues with my Wrangler in that it begins to shake uncontrollably when I am driving above 50 mph and hit even small bumps in the road. This past summer I had it worked on twice in order to address the issue. My car has been in storage since September and I drove it for the first time this past weekend. Today (12/23/14), I was driving on the freeway and in less than 30 miles, the car began shaking 3 different times. Each time this happens, I have to bring the car to a complete stop (obviously, this is difficult, and sometimes impossible, on the freeway). The situation becomes very dangerous to myself and the drivers around me. I have made no modifications to my Wrangler.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Dec 202014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Three times in the past week, driving on highway at about 55, started the Jeep death wobble. Had to stop in traffic to stop wobble. Still looking for issue. Tires were rebalanced, still getting death wobble.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 102014

Wrangler

I was on gratigny pkwy, in miami Florida going about 58 miles per hour and when I was crossing the over pass towards I-75 North the front tires began to bounce vigorously like if the front end was going to fall apart. I slowed down and got to the side but it did not stop shaking till I came to a complete stop. It seems like this should not happen to a vehicle with such low mileage, but the warranty is over of course.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 242014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph over a road bump, the front passenger wheel shook abnormally. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic diagnosed that the steering stabilizer shock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Tyaskin , MD, USA

Sep 122014

Wrangler

Let me mention, that I bought this Jeep brand new, and started having steering problems about 4 months after purchase. It would pull to the drivers side, and when hitting uneven payment or bump, felt as though steering wheel pulled out of my hands. Learned early on to hold steering wheel very tightly. Took it to the dealership and was told my tires needed rotation and set air pressure. Mileage at this point was 4734. Over time, learned to avoid potholes, uneven payment or any rough road. When I did take it in to dealership, was told they could not imitate my problem. Still making monthly payments on the Jeep with this continuous problem was getting really old. On 11/25/11, 2 years and 4 months of putting up with this crap, took it into dealership again. The steering was getting more out of control and I would not allow my teenage son to drive it because I didn't feel safe. At this point was told needed tires rotated again, air pressure check, rear disc brakes and rotors needed, also was told needed front and rear differential fluid service. Had to decline, cause at this point, total was already up to $325.63. They wanted another $195 to do it. On 6/4/14, during inspection, was told I need new tires. Mileage was 26,753. Had enough tread to pass. They wanted $1017, went to costco, same tires for 300 less. 2/21/14, more steering problems, this time needed new damper, steering damper weak plus transmission fluid cooler lines needed replaced. 6/14/14 steering/suspension exhaust heat shield separated on right side hitting off muffler, also front and rear diff. Service. Cost $568.42, 8/14/14 battery died. Getting to point, on 9/12/14, on pa I 79 turnpike, had my first official death wobble as I have heard. Lucky for me, had a shoulder to pull over to until it stopped. Scared the S--- out of me. Whole front end shock so violently, unreal.

- Oakmont, PA, USA

Mar 042014

Wrangler 6-cyl Diesel

I purchased a 2009 Jeep Wrangler new. I have not modified my car in any way, nor have I ever taken it "off-road or four-wheeling". in March 2014 I experienced my first "death wobble", an extremely violent, shaking of the front wheels. Since then, it has happened numerous times, resulting in repairs (that still haven't solved the problem) totaling over $2000. I'm hesitant to take it in for repairs again because no one knows how to fix this problem and I don'T have the money to keep making repairs for an unknown problem. Chrysler/Jeep needs to recognize this as being a safety hazard. I've researched this extensively and I am not the only one experiencing this problem. The only time it happens is when I'm going 40 mph or more, primarily on the highway. The only way to re-gain control is to slow down quickly and pull over or come to a complete stop (which could result in an accident on the highway). Chrysler/Jeep must recognize that this is a serious safety issue and provide a remedy/recall and monetary compensation for this problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 042014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel suddenly began to violently shake causing the driver to nearly lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering stabilizer bar was defective. The vehicle was repaired. Also, the contact indicated that while driving the front driver side tire suddenly deflated. After inspecting the vehicle the contact discovered that the tire air valve was fractured. The contact indicated that the defect recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Jan 012013

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 13V234000 (power train, steering) had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The dealer advised the part was not available for repair. The manufacturer was not contacted. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Derry, NH, USA