2011 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Wrangler:

2011 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 292016

My 2011 Jeep Wrangler unlimited is a right hand drive that I use for mail delivery and personal use. The engine stalls spontaneously while I'm driving and/or delivering. When this happens, steering is precarious. Twice this incident has happened while I was in-transit through a curve at 45 mph. I was unsuccessful at wrestling with the steering wheel to drift off the road safely. Two succeeding cars, not able to see me in the blind spot of the curve, swerved into the opposing lane of traffic to avoid me. A fatal accident could have happened. F ornately and thankfully, the engine did start up again but not without a close call. Does someone have to get seriously injured or die before a recall will be considered?? also, randomly the starter cranks but won't start or it won't crank at all, rendering the key fob useless for locking the doors-excruciatingly frustrating & a security issue when the vehicle is full of mail/packages. I have been to 2 mechanics on 3 separate occasions concerning these issues. One mechanic could not make a diagnosis and the other thought the problem to be the starter, which was replaced. However, the problems persist. My research has lead me to believe that I might have a faulty tipm. I will have a mechanic investigate this possibility further. Should the tipm be the culprit, a recall should be opened for desperate reconsideration and for safety's sake!!!!!!

- Buena Vista, VA, USA

Sep 012016

This Jeep has a recall for the electrical harness for the heated mirror for possible fire. The autonation dealer in golden Colorado says they don't have the part and Jeep recall department says they do. It is believed that the dealer doesn't want to fix recall items do to the profitability. The dealership told us that the part was not available. Jeep recall is saying that isn't the case. The manufacture and dealers need to take responsibility for this hazardous risk before something bad happens. We have been trying to take care of this for some time now and Jeep should be more cooperative.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 132014

For the past 2 years the passenger airbag light has been illuminate on my dash. I do not know why this is. It turns on/off randomly wether someone is sitting in the passenger seat or not. Additionally for the past 3 years or so the functions/buttons on the left side of the steering wheel go in/out of function. For the most part they don't work 99% of the time. It doesn't affect the driving or anything dangerous but it is annoying that these buttons don't work most of the time. As far as the passenger airbag light, this concerns me should there be some sort of accident. I have looked into this and people have spent a good amount of money and the light still is on. I saw that in June, 2015 and investigation was started regarding this and wanted to put in my two cents. I hope that a solution is found for this.

- Portage, MI, USA

Mar 012016

The clockspring on my 2011 Jeep Wrangler (left handed drive) has failed causing the airbags to become dysfunctional and airbag light to engage. Fca has recalled right handed drive Jeep Wrangler 2007-2012 under the attached recall notification. Fca has also recalled 2007 lhd Jeep Wrangler for this same issue. The root cause of these recalls was determined to be dust accumulation in the grease of the clockspring as seen in the attached recall notification. The clockspring part in both lhd and RHD variations of this model Jeep Wrangler include a similar, if not the same, clockspring part. The amount of dust that a Jeep Wrangler is subject to does not correlate to the position of the steering wheel and clockspring. I would suspect that a vehicle with less that 70,000 miles and 5 years of use should not have airbag failure. I have contacted my local Jeep dealership which then instructed me to contact the fca Jeep warranty/recall 800 number in addition to the fca headquarter's 800 number. After speaking with a representative at the fca headquarters hotline I was told that the recall does not apply to my lhd 2011 Jeep Wrangler and the repair was to be made from out of my pocket. As of June 2015 there has been an open investigation into this issue for lhd Jeep Wrangler as seen in the link below.

- Southbury, CT, USA

Mar 072016

The dealer have failure to remedy this defect.

- Toa Alta, PR, USA

Oct 032015

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle was rear ended by another vehicle, which caused several warning lights to become illuminated. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the lower back and neck, which required medical attention. The contact also stated that the crash caused the vehicle to go into limp mode. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the totally integrated power module (tipm) needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Acushnet, MA, USA

Jan 152016

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled in traffic, the windshield wipers stopped functioning, and the vehicle stalled while idling. The vehicle was able to be restarted after five minutes. The failure happened without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the tipm module malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000. Updated 04/22/2016

- Dekalb, IL, USA

Jan 272016

I have a bad clockspring which has been recalled on right handed Wrangler for the same year but has not yet for the left handed Wrangler and it is causing my airbag light to illuminate while I am driving and while I am staying still and could affect my airbag from deploying when needed.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 212016

After my horn started going on and off on its own, I did some research and found out that this is typically related to the tipm problem. Contacted my dealer, and they quoted me $1200 to repair. Also found out that this has been an issue with the 08 models and that the part numbers are the same, but for some reason Chrysler stopped the recall after the 08 models. My Jeep has about 71,000 miles on it, which is basically nothing. Aggravated to beyond belief

- Coventry, RI, USA

Jan 012016

I have uploaded a pdf document that explains my problem. Thanks for your help.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Dec 122012

Continuing failure of electric clock spring/ cruise / horn systems. It has been to dealer 4 times and "fixed" and then re-fails within a short amount of miles. 6314, 9057, 10730, 18456 and is currently failing again(22000). Back to dealer as soon as I can schedule. I will first notice that the cruise control will not turn on and some times the horn will not work. However sometimes if I can honk the horn and then the cruise control will start working again; maybe for a few 100's of a few 1,000 miles. I am worry about the possible failure of the air bag if this keeps up. Please advice. My dealer keeps trying, but Jeep need to resolve! thanks. I will upload copies of my prior 4 service documents.

- Three Rivers, CA, USA

Oct 252015

Driving along about 75mph on I-26. All of a sudden all the lights inside flashed and then when dark. Jeep shut down and went dead. Coasted to shoulder. Shut off ignition and remove the key. Inserted key and started Jeep. About 2 hours later, I pulled over at a rest area, shut of the Jeep, and went to use the rest room. When I returned the Jeep would not respond to the fob to unlock the doors, I used the key in the manual lock. Jeep would not start. I disconnected the negative battery cable for about 10 seconds, and re installed. Jeep started and even 2 days later no return of symptoms.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 022015

I currently own a 2011 Jeep Wrangler that is experiencing some electrical issues. Currently the airbag light is on and there is a chime indicating such. This chime occurs approximately every 1 to 2 minutes. At about the same time the airbag light problem occurred, the other controls on the steering wheel such as the horn, cruise control and radio controls stopped functioning. I contacted Jeep (Chrysler) about the issue and was told they would contact me within 24-48 hours concerning this issue. Approximately 10 days went by and I had not heard back from Jeep. I contacted Jeep and was told that they will not fix this issue. I explained to them the safety concerns with not having a working horn and a questionable airbag. This did not seem to be an issue that they were to concerned about. I've been in law enforcement for several years now, and I cannot stress enough about the importance of having a functioning airbag. This is coming from some of the accidents that I have either witnessed or worked as an investigating officer. I have found through research that several earlier model (2007-2008) Jeep Wrangler have been recalled for similar issues. This is a recurring problem and I am sure you have received complaints on this issue in the past. This is my second Jeep and the company replaced the part that was causing the issue before. It was a 2007. This part is referred to as a clock spring and cost over $500 to replace. I would like for this issue to be addressed before someone is gravely affected.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Aug 232015

The door locks are sporadically locking and unlocking and not responsive some of the time. Online research indicates that many other 2011 Jeep are also having faulty tipms.

- Penn Laird, VA, USA

Jun 122015

The air bag light has been turning on and off, it is mostly on. The dealership told me it was the "clockspring" and it would be about $500 to repair. I declined to repair because I cannot afford it right now.

- Merriam, KS, USA

Jun 102015

On my 2011 Jeep Wrangler rubicon unlimited (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2007 and newer Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

May 172015

I was driving my 2011 Jeep Wrangler about 5-8 mph when I heard a "pop" type of noise. I then saw a flame under the hood on the passenger side. All of a sudden, my throttle locked up and my car wouldn't stop. I had both feet on the brakes, but my tires kept spinning. My electrical was locked up and I couldn't get the Jeep out of drive and into park. My boyfriend ran over, jumped in the passenger side to try to get the Jeep into park, as I couldn't get it to move. He fractured his hand in two places getting the gearshift to go into park. At this point there was black smoke coming from the under the hood. He was finally able to get it into park. At that point he helped pull me out the passenger side of the Jeep as the fire/flames were starting to come thru the dashboard into the inside of the Jeep. It took about an hour to get the fire out, then approx. 15-20 min later the fire started again on the passenger side.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

May 012015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Initially the steering wheel control buttons fro the computer would not function. Then lost the following: Interior lights, all switches in the switch bank, heated seats, electronic traction control, hill descent etc. Stopped working. Dealer checked it out said that it was a bad tipm. It is going to cost $850 to replace but it is on national back order, so no estimation as to when it could be replaced. This unit controls everything from the fuel pump to the air bags and the dealer said that any of that could stop working at any minute.

- Lucedale, MS, USA

Dec 302014

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility) and stated that the part was not available for several months. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Apr 122015

I, the mother of the child that owned the Jeep Wrangler, mailed pictures of the vehicle engulfed in flames, as well as, copy of purchase of Wrangler. I also enclosed a detailed letter to the NHTSA of the incident. I am updating my recent information that I had mailed, because I have realized that I closed the letter with my old phone number. I had recently changed my number, and I wanted to let you know the correct number. I apologize for my stupidity. I will enter the personal information correctly. Seeing that I am the individual that sent the information via the postal service, I will enter my name and E-mail information.

- Girard, PA, USA