2011 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Wrangler:

2011 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 232016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the clock spring fractured and caused the steering wheel functions to be disabled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Aug 202016

Wrangler

Death wobble - I had heard of other Jeep Wrangler drivers talking about this problem for years, but had never experienced it until last weekend. It started with a slight shimmy at around 35mph at the beginning of a roughly 250 mi. Road trip. Before hitting the end of the trip, the shimmy had transformed into an incredibly violent jerking motion of the steering between 10:00 - 2:00 and loss of control of the vehicle. Very nearly resulted in a head on collision. To remedy the problem, had to replace the upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, track bar and drag links. The track bar bolts in the end sleeves seemed far too small in diameter and routed out the bushings over time and this looked to be one of the major culprits of the problem. Incredibly dangerous driving condition and also an incredibly expensive fix as all of these parts are affected and interconnected. When one starts to go it has a domino effect on the others.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Jul 262014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel began to shake violently without warning. The failure recurred randomly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the cause of the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also mentioned that the failure occurred primarily at high speeds. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Hobbs, NM, USA

Jul 122016

Wrangler

We have the Jeep death wobble. It has happened 3X's since purchase, 06-21-2016 starts when going over bumpy road, maybe 40-45mph. Violently shaking, difficult to control steering. Bounces me out of the seat, teeth rattling, feel like windows will break. Stops shaking when I touch brake pedal. Very scary. Cruise/speed control only works part-time and radio buttons 5 and 6 do not light up like 1-4. I fear they have been "bounced apart" maybe. I live in butler co, pa the birthplace of the Jeep. Jeep must come through and fix this. This is embarrassing for Jeep people let alone dangerous. Help!

- Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Jun 082016

Wrangler

Death wobble- Chrysler/Jeep as long covered up the issue with their Wrangler "wobbling" uncontrollably when driving over the slightest bump in the road. This is due to faulty wheel bearings/traction bars/ and steering. This issue has been going on for year and needs to be fixed correctly and cheaply. Cheap parts and fixed cause death.

- Euless, TX, USA

Jun 062016

Wrangler

Death wobble. Any time a bump is hit with the Jeep above 35mph, it goes into the death wobble, which doesn't go away until the car is stopped. I've tried fixing everything possible, but it still happens. I understand this is a common problem, but it certainly seems life-threatening, as the Jeep feels like it is going to break into pieces!

- Tea, SD, USA

Oct 072011

Wrangler

Very bad wobble in front end....happens at any speed, but the faster you go the worse it gets (Jeep death wobble)....dealer said it is the tires....but I should not have to change my tires every 6 months.......I have had close calls on the highway going 65 miles an hour when the death wobble starts Jeep is a 2011 I have had it for almost 5 years....have taken to dealer for this more times than I can remember.

- Montgomery, NY, USA

Feb 132016

Wrangler

Traveling on highway over 45mpr, over minor bumpy entrance to overpass, my vehicle experiences the known "death wobble". nbc news I-team reported on this very same Jeep manufacturing issue. My rubicon immediately began shaking uncontrollably and I had to slow down to approximately 15 mpr. The first time it happened. Now, it happens all the time in the same area. The road is straight, no turns and the "bumps" are not pot-holes. I have to hang on to the steering wheel very tight and pray no car is next to me. My tires are aligned and I have them inspected regularly. My dealership said it's a known problem and they actually have a "couple of roads by the dealership they test drive their Chrysler & Jeep vehicles with that problem because it always happens." Today was the latest event and I contacted my Jeep dealership.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Sep 152015

Wrangler

I was driving down the highway at approximately 45mph, and I experienced a wobble/vibration/shaking in the steering. I slowed down to approximately 40mph, and arrived at my destination. A few days later, I was driving down the highway again at approximately 50mph, and my Jeep started violently wobbling/shaking/vibration to the point where I could barely maintain control of my Jeep. Upon slowing down to approximately 35mph, the Jeep continued to wobble/shake/vibrate violently to the point where I had to pull off of the road. I checked tires for looseness and did not find that they were loose. I got back in my Jeep and continued to my desitination driving under the speed limit at approximately 35mph with my four way hazard lights flashing because I was afraid of losing control of my Jeep. Once I got to my destination, I proceeded to pull off the passenger front tire to check for anything out of the ordinary that would explain the wobble/vibration/shaking. Nothing looked damaged/low on fluid/broken so I put the tire back on. I then proceeded to a tire business and had all four tires balanced and rotated. The wobble/shaking/vibration seemed to improve but this did not solve the issue. The Jeep continued to wobble/shake/vibrate when trying to slow down therefore this is an ongoing issue. The steering stabilizer has also been replaced which seems to make this issue worse and the issue is still not resolved. I am afraid to drive it now due to safety issues/concerns.

- Tunkhannock, PA, USA

Jun 122015

Wrangler

The air bag light has been turning on and off, it is mostly on. The dealership told me it was the "clockspring" and it would be about $500 to repair. I declined to repair because I cannot afford it right now.

- Merriam, KS, USA

Jun 272012

Wrangler

Jeep goes into a death wobble at highway speed with no warning very difficult to handle, must decrease speed drastically or pull off road toget Jeep back under control

- Throop, PA, USA

Mar 102015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I experienced the so- called death wobble last night and this morning on my way home from work. I was going just above 40mph. It feels like an unbalanced wheel? if I would leave off the throttle just a bit and keep it smooth at 40 mph it would go away. I couldn't imagine the other owners who were going much faster what they must have experienced. This needs fixed and I will be at the dealership expressing my concerns. I hope no one gets hurt by this !

- York, PA, USA

Mar 022015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

This has happened on a few occasions I was and am terrified that the vehicle shakes uncontrollably to the point it feels like Jeep will fall apart and you are going to get into a serious accident.

- Oneida, NY, USA

Mar 022015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I guess the problem is commonly known as the "death wobble ". I see it now as I search the internet.

- Thermopolis , WY, USA

Jul 202014

Wrangler

Traveling about 50 mph in sweeping left turn on smooth, paved road, vehicle began to shake violently, did not want to respond to hard braking and continued until under 25 mph. Tires were close to being worn out, they were replaced with new alignment. Problem has continued with new tires. Jeep was at dealership 3 days and they could not find anything wrong, I want to add they were concerned and very nice but found no problem. Driving home from dealership it happened 3 times and has happened numerous times since. Dealership suggested new tires were bad, but this has now happened on 2 sets of tires. The problem occurs with such violence it is unsafe to driver, passenger, and other vehicles sharing the road. This also happens on roads with bumps on straightway such as might be found in right lane where heavy trucks cause surface deformaties. Our Jeep has no modifications to any part, steering, suspension, shocks, or has tires not recommended for this vehicle.

- Patrick Springs, VA, USA

Jan 282015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The airbag light has come on to report a fault in the system. This is a major problem that Jeep Wrangler jk owners are having. The clock spring is faulty. The right hand drive version of this vehicle has been recalled for the same part. But not the left hand drive? this is most definitely a defective part as after searching on the internet its a wide spread problem and needs to be addressed. Parts failing as soon as 1/12 years. The airbag will not deploy if in an accident.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Dec 252014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I was traveling North it had snowed the day prior roads were slick or so I thought the Jeep was steering strange I was traveling up a small incline and took the first of two turns I made the first and lost all control going into the second in to the ditch missing a large tree and bounced out of the ditch and down the ditch on the other side. With my seat belt on I was still thrown all around the cab of the Jeep in pain still thank you. After getting a tow truck we found the steering bar coming off the steering box was off and when we looked closer the shaft on the steering box had broken completely off. I find this hard to be leave that shaft is over a half inch thick. So to sum it up I am very lucky I had not made it to the highway it would no have been a good thing for myself and any other drivers on the highway that night.

- Bayfield, CO, USA

Aug 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

While driving about 50mph and then begin to slow down on a major highway. The steering wheel begins to wobble back and forth violently and the whole vehicle shakes like crazy, and the muffler sputters like it is about to shut off. I have had to forcefully steer to the shoulder of the road and my vehicle continues to shake, the only way to get it to stop is to turn it off and restart it. This also happened when my vehicle was sitting in my garage and I turned it on to warm it up, it starts to shake and sputter after about 30 seconds of being turned on. I've heard it called the "death wobble" and I understand why. This has happened numerous times over the last 4 months. The condition seems very dangerous to me.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jul 282014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering) exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The dealer stated that the parts were not available for repair and were on a national back order. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Avon Lake , OH, USA

Feb 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I started feeling a warble when I would hit a bump on the road, took it into a les schawb they told me it was warn tie rod ends, so I then took it to Jeep dealer 'lithia" in eugene Oregon they inspected it and said nothing was wrong. Today I was coming home on hwy 126 and after I hit a part of the road that is rough, the Jeep totally went out of control the whole thing was shaking so bad I had everything I could do to slow it down and pull off to the side of the road, it probably would feel like if all 4 tires popped at once. It scared me so bad, I was just shaking. I got out looked at all the tires, and underneath, L seen nothing wrong so I put on my 4 way flashers and drove home the last 3 miles at a crawl. I will contact Jeep again on Monday and tell them there is a problem, the power steering has also went out twice on this and had to be fixed.

- Walton, OR, USA