Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Dec 022013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Was informed in Dec 2013 by Chrysler that my 2012 Jeep was in need of safety recall N28/NHTSA 13V-234. Have been waiting 3 months so far for part oil cooler tube and no known date when I can get one installed. Dealer says they can only order one of these every 14 days...Chrysler customer service says they can order 7 every 14 days to avoid some dealers hoarding parts. My vehicle has been deemed unsafe. I need to get this repaired. Who can get Chrysler to release the parts? this is terrible customer service.

- Billerica, MA, USA

Jun 042013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Jeep issued recall N28 on June 4, 2013. Since that time, I have been unable to obtain a repair despite attempts at two dealerships (salerno duane and nielsen Dodge) to schedule the repair. As of a phone call today (March 13, 2014) with the Chrysler group recall assistance center, chrylser is saying that they are only allowing 1-3 parts to be shipped to dealers per week. The dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle (nieslen Dodge) has confirmed this today via email and says it may be up to six months before they have the parts to repair my vehicle under recall N28. At that rate, it will be longer than 1 year from when recall N28 was issued to when the repair takes place (assuming parts are available by then). This is an unreasonable amount of time for the repair of this defect.

- New Providence, NJ, USA

Feb 282014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Received the recall safety notice and brought the Jeep into fields in glencoe, il. Was told the part was on backorder. It has been 3 months and the part still is not in. Called to check and they say that only one part gets sent every 14 days and people since August have been waiting. I'm now #100 on the list. If I do the math correct in 4 years I'll get the part. Hello" is anyone out there" safety recall!!! this is ridiculous. Called Chrysler and they said the parts are sent as soon as possible. Maybe they should go to a different provider.

- Laona, WI, USA

Jan 082014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Was told in the fall the recall needed to be done--October. The dealer, jim click Jeep allegedly put me on the list. I spoke to the service manager today and he said there are 3500 Jeep on his list and he's received 20 parts from Chrysler. Said Chrysler is dragging their heals and not providing parts in a timely manner.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 112014

Wrangler 6-cyl

After commute of 35 - 40 minutes from work I pulled into my garage and closed the door down for the night as usual and went inside. I did smell a slight burning smell but thought it was related to outside fridge that failed. After being inside a few minutes we heard a noise coming from the garage. I went to check it out and found the starter on the Jeep was spinning on its own. My wife noticed smoke and then flames under Jeep. I managed to get Jeep out of garage and fire put out and disconnected the battery. The fire was basically contained to the area around the starter and related wiring/hoses. The Jeep dealer picked up the Jeep and has it now. I contacted Jeep factory customer representative rep with the specifics of the incident and was told my file would be turned over to the "special investigations" department. I can't imagine what the outcome of this incident would be had we not heard the noise coming from the garage or if my commute had been an additional 20 -30 minutes longer.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Feb 052014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Safety recall N28/NHTSA 13V-234 notification code N28 notice received approx. 4 months ago. Went to the dealership this am 2/5/2014 to have the repair done. Dealer said that they only get one part per month so they put me on a wait list. Apparently there are 15 ahead of me at jones Ford/Chrysler in wickenburg AZ. So it looks like a year plus wait. Can't be much of a part regarding the issue so am at a loss at the delay. The failure however can result in a incident. Some prodding to get parts out to the dealers may be in order.

- Wickenburg, AZ, USA

Jun 192013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Safety recall N28/NHTSA 13V-234 transmission oil cooler tube after having appointment rescheduled twice, dealership stated that they are only receiving parts for this recall once every 15 days. They have a wait list of around 40-50 people which means that my vehicle will not be taken care of for over a year. This is unacceptable.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Jan 012014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I can, T get dealer to repair my recall notice. I started on Oct 2013 and bend back 4 times and they never have the parts. The dealer is anderson 3920north highway 95 lake havasu city AZ86404.

- Lake Havasu City , AZ, USA

Dec 312013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Vehicles cylinder head is faulty and needed replacement.

- New Market, MD, USA

Dec 132013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have had two notices for recall. I contacted Jeep in early October and November, they say they don't have parts and can't get any. Why do you do recalls if you don't have the parts. I want this fixed before something happens.

- Maple Park, IL, USA

Dec 062013

After receiving safety recall N28 / NHTSA 13V-234 from Chrysler, I contacted my local dealership (from whom I purchased the vehicle) requesting to get the transmission oil cooler tube serviced. They informed me that the part needed to be ordered (1) at a time with at least (7) days between orders. As a result, they said my vehicle cannot be serviced for 20+ weeks, putting myself and my family in jeopardy during this time. While I understand it is not the dealerships fault, this systems failure must be addressed immediately.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 292013

Wrangler 6-cyl

After receiving a recall notice (safety recall N28/NHTSA 13V-234 transmission oil cooler tube) in the mail, I called my local dealership (clear lake Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, houston, tx) to schedule a service appointment to remedy the possible problem explained in the recall notice. Unfortunately, I was told that this dealership is only receiving approx. 1 - 2 of the parts needed for this problem per week and they have a list of customers for those parts already long enough that will take approx. A year to fill. I was told that I should continue to call the dealership approx. Once a week and see if they, by any chance, received enough of the parts to fix my vehicle. I find this unacceptable! I do not want to wait a year to get my vehicle fixed and feel that I (nor anyone else) should not have to wait that long to get a possible defect in my vehicle taken care of. Are there any other options for me" what can I do to get my vehicle taken care of immediately" I do not want to wait to get this problem taken care of and risk the possibility of the problem materializing and causing an accident that could result in my vehicle being destroyed or, even worse, injuring myself or others! I appreciate any help or advice you could give me in this matter! thank you.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Nov 192013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I received a safety recall N28 / NHTSA 13V-234. Transmission oil cooler tube. Called rick hendrick Jeep in charleston, SC to schedule repair. I was told that they can only get 1 part every 14 days and there are 80 people ahead of me. Doing the math that means they will get 26 parts over 365 days, so it will be 3 years before they can fix the problem. Unacceptable.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Oct 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Check eng light came on.went to dealer they said NO2 cylinder bad needs new head wtf theirs only 20000 miles on it.its now oct8th still waiting on the head. They should put out a recall. I'll never buy a pos Chrysler product again. O yea forgot to say this my wife's truck she drives it every day to her job at nbc.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Nov 042013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Recall notification received in Nov 2013. Dealer says they only get one repair kit per week. I was put on a wait list along with many others. No time or date when they would call back. Chrysler/Jeep should be producing more as I received pre-notification a month prior to receiving this one.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Rec'd Chrysler safety recall notice #1 in August - called dealership where Jeep was purchased - no parts, don't know when they'll get them in - told to wait until 2nd letter comes with further instructions. Rec'd Chrysler safety recall notice #2 on November 1st - called dealership again, still no parts, told they are getting 1 replacement part every 7-10 days and there is extreme backlog from manufacturer. Was also told that letter should state this dealership does not have part - not true. Was put on proverbial wait list for part. Also was told if any further damage happens to vehicle because of said part malfunction - Chrysler will foot the repair bill for the entire engine. Yeah right. Let's see if we get notice #3....

- Fox River Grove, IL, USA

Oct 312013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I responded to a safety recall ( N29/NHTSA/ 13V-234 for a defective transmission oil cooler tube) received in Sept. 2013. I called the dealer and was told the part was not in stock, but would be ordered for me. Several weeks later I called again, still no part. The parts man informed me that the part was "being rationed" due to parts shortage - and that I would be contacted in the future. I asked if I was "in line" by my date of call, he said that I was. Still no contact. I do have a mysterious leak showing up on the garage floor - could it be this problem? my Jeep is a 2012 and has shown no leaks before.

- Tehachapi, CA, USA

Feb 272013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving to work after clearing snow from my vehicle...there remained a large piece of ice that would not readily disengage from Jeep while trying to clear snow and ice. The hood has a deep well in the shape of a horse shoe...the design is a flaw (replicated from another design from aev but when put into production they left out drainage design) because water accumulates on the hood while warm and driving in snow etc...when shut down the water that remains on the hood refreezes and can not be removed unless you care about damaging the paint by forcefully chiseling it away. Long story short I was on the highway and could see that the engine heat was melting the ice panel and sure enough it flew up and over my windshield not without smashing the header of my windshield and then near missing the vehicle that was in back of me. The design will definitely cause damage in the future this I can say without hesitation. If Chrysler had chose the option to vent the water out of the hood there would be no problem. Unfortunately they did not. Now every winter I pray that I am not traveling during heavy new england weather because this issue will repeat itself as many times as we get snow.

- Providence, RI, USA

Jan 022013

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed, which located a failure at the exhaust gas recirculation valve. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 26,618 and the current mileage was 50,100.

- Clifton , VA, USA

Aug 032013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Cylinder 6 misfire - requires new engine head. Manufacturer has had parts backordered, and service centers are instructing customers to continue driving vehicle until part can be replaced. Judging by internet posts this seems to be a common defect that could potentially strand drivers or cause engine failure while in motion. Manufacturer is on 3rd version of part and has not alerted customers to the issue or provided resolution to the continued issue.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA