2013 Kia Optima Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid:

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid Owner Comments

May 112015

Optima Hybrid

I was coming home from work Monday and a very heavy rain storm was coming down. As I pulled into my driveway, I set my Kia in park and attempted to turn off the vehicle by pressing the power button. The response I got was that the vehicle was not in the "P" park position, although it was in that shifted position. I press the power button again and it turns on the lights inside the car rather than turn them off. I have to try several times before a successful attempt at just turning off my car. Turning it on is no problem, its just turning it off that is causing distressing. It is very difficult to fill up your car with gas when you cannot even turn it off. This is a really serious problem that needs to be resolved immediately! from the other complaints I've read, a common theme about water interfering with the electrical system is a common trend.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Apr 082015

Optima Hybrid

When we take the car to car wash and some time go over a puddle of water, if the car is on move, it will shut itself and I had to stop the car restart the car. If the car comes out of car wash and be turn, it will not start until 4 to 5 hours later. Error we get " key is not recognize" I took my car to Kia dealer in irvine, and they told me do not take the car to car wash. I call customer service for Kia and they said the hybrid car is not design for car wash. This is a problem, what happen in a heavy rain in the highway. Does somebody need to die that company look at this issue ? this is my second complain and third time I am stranded in street because of this issue. I was luck that I was in the street in 91 expressway.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Aug 162014

Optima Hybrid 4-cyl

We took the car to a car wash, after they clean the car we tried to start the car, but we get an error " key is not recognize". we were not able to start the car. Then my wife brought the second key, we got the same error. We towed the car to dealer and still there after 3 days. They said they could not find anything wrong. I do not believe that, there is something wrong, what happened if this condition appear in highway ? I drive 30,000 miles a year and even though this is the first episode, I am very concern regarding this problem.

- Riverside, CA, USA

May 202014

Optima Hybrid 4-cyl

Upon acceleration from stop or low speed, brake warning message displayed instructing me to safely pull over and stop the vehicle. Additionally, essentially all warning lights displayed on the information screen. Warning lights began flashing and door locks began clicking on/off. Car became disabled after a short distance and car would not move forward when in drive. Required tow to dealer for service. Dealer scanned the vehicle and found over 20 history codes pointing towards a can issue. After vehicle was serviced and road tested, history codes were cleared by dealer on 5/24/2014. Same problem repeated under similar conditions on 5/28/2014 and again on 6/4/204. During the third incident, the car became disabled immediately after entering an intersection at low speed and could not be moved out of the intersection under its own power, creating a safety hazard with cross traffic waiting to enter the intersection. After the second occurrence, dealer service department was unable to diagnose the problem or repeat the conditions. After the third occurrence, the car became operable a short time after the incident after turning the car off and on again a few times. After each occurrence, the passenger air bag warning light remained in the history code. Currently awaiting response and diagnosis of problem by Kia district parts service manager.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Mar 062014

Optima Hybrid

The contact owns a 2013 Kia Optima hybrid. The contact stated that when exiting the vehicle, the driver and passengers would experience an electrical shock after making contact with any exterior metal part of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 20. The VIN was unavailable.

- Long Beach, CA, USA