2006 Kia Sedona electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Kia Sedona:

2006 Kia Sedona Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 222011

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall as soon as the engine was started. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was advised that the junction box and instrument panel module needed to be replaced. In addition, the engine was leaking oil into the alternator. The dealer made repairs to rectify the oil leak failure but to no avail. The instrument panel module and junction box were not replaced. The failure mileage was 100,783.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Oct 012008

Sedona

Our Kia Sedona has exhibited numerous electrical problems. The power doors stopped working when we push the button in the console or use our keypad. The doors no longer lock using the keypad, either. We have replaced numerous headlights and turn signal lights, and seem to be doing so every other month lately. I am surprised that there are no recalls on this vehicle as the headlight/turn signal issue is very dangerous. Due to the number of complaints I have viewed, I would urge Kia to investigate and offer customers a solution.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 012011

Sedona 6-cyl

The turn signals work intermittently and probably only work 15% of the time, however beginning about 2 years ago the bulbs have never both worked at the same time (meaning when you turn the switch to the left the left signal will turn on but when you then turn the switch to the right it does not work). The bulbs have been changed several times yet this never fixes the problem. The turn signal bulbs have actually only been burned out one time, proving there is some form of a short. All of the other lamps, whether it be head lamps (low or high beam), fog lights,  tail lights, running lights, reverse light or tag lights, keep burning out bulbs. Every 6 weeks I'm having to replace a bulb. This is so dangerous not to mention expensive! with as many complaints as there has been posted due to this very same issue, I do not understand why Kia has not found/created a solution for these issues. This really makes me not want to purchase another Kia vehicle. Also, I've had intermittent problems with one of the electric sliding side doors. One door will not close on it's own. If you pull gently to get it started closing, it will then close the rest of the way by itself. There's nothing internally blocking the release pin from disengaging. This problem just started about 2 months ago.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jul 282013

Sedona

My family has a 2006 Kia Sedona ex, we got it brand new. No major issues with the car just some minor electrical issues (most except for this issue have been recalled). The power sliding doors. Drivers side has been the worst. First time it happened it was fairly new. It started as the power door would occasionally pull itself in the wrong direction when opened or closed resulting in the motor making noises then it would beep. Later it started opening but not making it to its latched position. Took it in had the motor replaced. Then about a year later it died. Just died.. no power what so ever. Took it in and they replaced the motor again and the latch release. 2 years went by just fine then we lost the latch release. So the door would open or close but you would have to pull the handle or else it would get caught. Took it in a 3rd time and they replaced latch release on both sides. No more issues. Until now. About 4 days ago the auto latch release died on the driver side door. Yesterday I went to go get something from the store and as I was waiting in the parking lot I tried to test he passenger side door. Pressed the button the auto release opened. But the motor sounded really slow. Then I press the button to close it. And then auto release died on that side too. No sound just stopped working. This is the 4th time we are taking it in for the power door to be fixed. I did some research on youtube and google and found that many other 06 Sedona drivers have had these issues. We have gotten recalls for it in the past but none involve the power sliding door. Car is at 90K and the 100K warranty is about to go up. With the number of times we have had to take it in I hope that a permanent fix will be made or the motors will be recalled because as soon as it passes 100K we are on our own. And fixing something that shouldnt break for the life of the car is not okay.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 012012

Sedona 6-cyl

The van's front turn signals began working intermittently. Despite changing the bulbs numerous times, the problem keeps occurring. They work about 20% of the time. This has occurred even after having the fix done for the stop light recall.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Mar 012010

Sedona

The electrical system has shorts and harness issues all over. You had a recent recall, but not involving 2006 Sedonas only 2007. Our vehicle has same issue as found in the recent recall. The airbag light is on and I have never had an accident. The lighting is also affected due to the wiring harness. I have one blinker I constantly replace and same with one front head lamp. I have seen other complaints of the same thing with the same exact vehicle.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Sep 102012

Sedona 6-cyl

Driving approx 35 mph when Kia van lost power and had to coast to side of road. No forward movement with gas pedal pressed down. Sat for 10 minutes and was able to drive at normal speed for about 30 minutes when I slowed down to turn corner, lost power again. Coasted to side of road, sat for another 10/15 minutes then drove to auto mechanic. Replaced throttle position sensor for 2nd time. Vehicle computer also reset. Serious safety risk as vehicle loses power in middle of traffic without warning and very limited time to make decision where to coast to as you do not have any driving control.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 182009

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. While driving approximately 45 mph with the headlights activated, the headlights failed suddenly. The contact was able to continue driving cautiously and at a reduced speed. The vehicle was repaired in 2009 under NHTSA campaign id number 06V349000 (electrical system: Wiring) however, the malfunction recurred. The vehicle had not been repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 48,084.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Dec 122011

Sedona 6-cyl

I have owned my 2006 Kia Sedona since Jan 2008 and have had a persistent problem of oil leaking from the valve covers and the oil pan gasket. This oil leak issue has been ¿fixed 5 times till now, on warranty coverage at the following Kia dealerships (in descending order of dates)¿ - 1) fullerton Kia on 10/29/2010 2) fullerton Kia on 08/21/2010 3) glendale Kia on 06/08/2009 4) glendale Kia on 12/24/2008 5) fullerton Kia on 01/30/2008 due to the design and placement of the engine parts on the 2006 Sedona, oil leaking from the valve cover on the top, falls directly on the alternator located just below it. With time, the oil leak residue clogs up the alternator itself, thereby leading to failure of the battery charging system (which has been replaced three times already on warranty coverage) and also the alternator breaking down itself. There have been 2 occasions where my vehicle has gone completely dead and stalled in the middle of the highway when I was driving, leading to a dangerous safety issue for my family. On both occasions the vehicle had to be towed in to a dealership and the alternator was replaced on warranty coverage. Following are the dealerships and dates when the battery/alternator was replaced (in descending order of dates) - 1) fullerton Kia on 05/10/2011 (alternator) 2) fullerton Kia on 10/29/2010 (battery) 3) glendale Kia on 08/22/2009 (alternator) 4) glendale Kia on 08/22/2009 (battery) 5) glendale Kia on 06/08/2009 (battery) I now have the same oil leak problem once again and the oil has already started seeping from the valve covers into the alternator. I am dreading the day in the near future when the alternator will stop working and cause my vehicle to stall again on the road when my family and kids are driving in it. There appears to be a huge quality/safety issue related to the Kia spare parts used to fix the oil leak problem.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Aug 032011

Sedona

Check engine light came on. Kia said it was controller for radiator cooling fan: Part back ordered: Told to watch temp when idle. 3 days later, temp never hot, idled for 20 min, ac blows hot though. Check engine light no longer on & everything seems to be working fine. 2 days after check engine light off then air bag light came on, drove to work (25 miles) w/light on. Parked at work turned off key & then restarted van & light is off. What's the deal? I think there are major electrical issues here. Going to take to my local (trusted) mechanic to see if he finds issues. I do not want to pay Kia's outrageous prices. Will never own another Kia & I plan to get rid of this one!!

- Floral City, FL, USA

May 082011

Sedona 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona minivan and I have had multiple issues with the alternator and battery systems. On more than one occasion my vehicle has stalled on the freeway when the alternator stopped charging the battery and power ran out. Before this happens, I see all the light indicators on the dashboard for monitored systems go on, such as the ABS, TPMS, hand brake, ESC etc. I have had the alternator replaced once already and it has broken down a second time. I have the battery replaced atleast 3/4 times already. I am not sure if this is an electrical/wiring defect with my specific vehicle or a defect in the parts or design of the vehicle itself. Although I have luckily not had any accidents while these events occurred, I was driving on the freeway both times the alternator conked out and things could easily have ended differently.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Apr 112011

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The contact stated that after placing her vehicle in park, she would had to take a screw driver in order to move the gear shifter. In addition, her brake lights would not appear when depressing the brakes and the opposite occurs when she does not depress the brakes. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer who advised her the shift controller was fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Woodbine, GA, USA

Aug 312010

Sedona

Electronic "memory" rear view mirrors on the Kia Sedona mini-van turn on their own randomly while driving. This is even after they are reset. This has been reported several times to Kia and they are unable to get rearview mirrors to remain in the position they are set to. This is dangerous as while driving and switching lanes under the belief there are no cars present, meanwhile the mirror is facing in the wrong direction. Kia has attempted to fix these mirrors twice but the electronics continue to have "ghosts" and they refuse to stay put.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jul 232010

Sedona

Problems: Air bag light on again. Has been repaired by dealer several times. Ac does not blow cold continually and has been repaired several times. New compressor, additional freon, etc. Horn malfunctioning again. Transmission problem - the vehicle "bangs or slams" when you come down a hill to a stop. When slowing down to a stop light it actually has a surge or acceleration. This vehicle only has 64000 on it and the brakes have been serviced several times (front and rear). Now when I am driving I get a terrible grinding feeling - and at a higher speed on the highway when you go to slow down faster it vibrates terribly. Also the braking is terrible at higher speeds. Also had problems with the actuator repair/replaced several times, horn not sounding properly, air bag light (repaired several times), cruise control issues (won't maintain speed - accelerates or decelerates), battery or electrical issues (told to replace battery which I did & paid for), headlight issues (have replaced lights several times), vibration on highway (new tires and tires have been rebalanced. Alignment done). After reviewing multiple websites on Kia reviews, these above items are very common experiences for Kia Sedona owners. I wanted to make you aware of these items since I feel that if consumers do not notify the authorities nothing will be corrected or known. I have really noticed in the last few months, almost immediately after passing the warranty mark, the vehicle has taken a turn for the worse and problems seem to be escalating.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Jun 172010

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The contact stated she had her vehicle serviced for the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 09V130000 (exterior lighting: Brake lights: Switch). After receiving the vehicle back from the dealer, she was driving at approximately 15 mph when the cruise control involuntarily engaged. There was an unusually loud buzz coming from the dash area. The contact shut off the engine and when restarting, the cruise control was deactivated but the noise continued momentarily. The contact also stated that she has been experiencing a recurring failure in which she hears a loud "clunking" noise coming from the front end of the vehicle while driving over bumps. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on many occasions where the right and left sway bar links were replaced. The failure continued to recur whenever driving over a bumpy road surface. The vehicle was not repaired for the cruise control failure. The failure and current mileage was 89,000.

- Norwood, NJ, USA

Nov 182009

Sedona

Headlamps blowing out we have had to replace the headlamps about every 4-6 weeks and have taken it to the dealer 4 times on the head light problem and they say there is nothing wrong. So why do they keep blowing out. We have had both low beams blow out at the same time and have had to drive with the high beams which is unsafe to on coming traffic let along unsafe for us not to have any low beams. The second problem is a steering wheel vibration that we have has been a problem since we purchased the van. The dealer had it for the 1st month we owned it and still have the problem to this day and we are really feeling unsafe driving it due to the vibration at highway speeds. My wife is terrified to even take it on the highway with our three precious children. So if I could get some feedback on these issues I would greatly appreciate it. After doing some internet research there are alot of the same problems other people are having. I am writing this complaint so someone does not have to die due to headlights blowing out, or the steering falls apart or a part fails due to the vibration.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 142009

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The oil light did not illuminate on the instrument control when the oil levels were low. A mechanic stated that the engine was knocking because the oil was 3 quarts low. She had not spoken with the manufacturer or the dealership to-date. The vehicle had not been repaired to-date. The current and failure mileages were approximately 133,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 262007

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The rear passenger and driver side doors close when ever it appears someone or something is entering or exiting the vehicle. The dealer replaced the rolling arm and sensor; however, the contact has still experienced the failure. The current mileage was 43431 and the failure mileage was at 30000.

- Val Paraiso, IN, USA

Jul 182009

Sedona

The vehicle will lose power. The engine will continue running, but only at idol speed. This event can happen at any time. My wife was driving our Kia at the time this event happened. The check engine light and the ESC off light came on and the van had no power. After shutting the van off and restarting she was able to drive home with only the check engine light on. I pulled the neg. Battery cable and reset the ECM. I drove the van for 200 miles without incident. The next morning the van started normally, but within a minute both lights were on and the engine would not respond to any throttle input. The codes pulled from the computer are P1295, P2106, and P2135. After looking on google, this is a chronic problem plaguing Kia and Hyundai vehicles. According to what I've read, it can happen at any time, on any model year. Nobody has been able to isolate the cause, except to replace the ECM, and replace the throttle body. It is only a matter of time until this happens to somebody in heavy traffic at highway speed.

- Altavista, VA, USA

Aug 112008

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. While making a left turn at 35 mph, the rear driver's side door suddenly opened and then began to close electronically. The door continued to open and close until the contact was able to disconnect the wiring on the defective door. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer, but was not serviced for the failure. There were no warnings prior to the failure. The current and failure mileages were 71,124.

- Rising Sun, MD, USA