2004 Lexus ES 330 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Lexus ES 330:

2004 Lexus ES 330 Owner Comments

Mar 012016

ES 330

When starting the Lexus ES 330 2004 for the first time in the day it makes a horrible sound that lasts about 5 seconds while still parked then when driving it seems like I am forcing it do accelerate. After being warmed up it is fine and after subsequent starts it does not make that noise.

- Davie, FL, USA

Dec 192015

ES 330

Since I purchased this vehicle in 2008 I had the problems with the car jerking between 40-60mph and had the dealer to investigate my concerns which I took the car to a Lexus dealership for diagnosis of the problems which they never found; I was then told that this problem occurs in all 2004 330es and the problem wasn't detected. So I drove this car for all the years I have it with the same problems; until 12/19/2015 the problem continued when I was enroute to another town and the engine light came on and the vehicle began jerking and slowed down and I could no longer accelerate the engine; when doing so the car made an arkward sound; so I began to turn around and head back home from where I was it was 8 miles back; and the car was jerking and shaking to where it was about to shut down completely and still pulling; I had my car towed to the dealership and left it over the weekend; and they finally found the problem code P0303 cylinder 3 misfire and PO353 ignition coil, which was the problem all along but they couldn't find it because at the time there was no light indicator on; but now that the warranty expired for which the dealer I purchased the vehicle was reliable for the payment. $500 later the problem discovered. Also recall on the issue but not the vehicle I own; since I experienced the same problems I feel that the recall should have included my vehicle and a refund due.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Apr 222015

ES 330

The driver was pulling into a parking space at the local train station. She was going forward at about 1 mph with her foot on the brake pedal in order to slow the car down as she was approaching the curb at the front end of the parking space. With her foot on the brake pedal, the car suddenly lunged forward and went over the curb and into a metal and wooden fence. The car probably would have landed on the train tracks; but, fortunately, it went into the fence which is used to support a shelter that shields commuters from inclement weather. The damaged fence is owned by the union pacific railroad. The driver suffered a back injury and required medical attention, medication, and physical therapy. The incident was reported to Lexus in torrance, ca. Lexus has a contractual arrangement with a vendor to inspect the event data recorder (edr) installed in the car. After the edr was inspected, the driver was informed that the edr in the 2004 Lexus ES 330 is very basic and not at all sophisticated enough to detect what actually occurred immediately before and after the accident. Lexus said the edr in the newer ES automobiles would have been able to provide information as to exactly what occurred before, during, and after the accident. The driver was informed that the edr inspection report for this incident essentially addressed what happened with the air bags, none of which had deployed during the accident. Lexus informed the driver that they could not provide any further assistance or guidance to determine the extent of any parts or design defects.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Mar 102014

ES 330

I was parking my car in the parking lot of a garage when my car Lexus 330 suddenly picked up high speed (full throttle) unintentionally. The vehicle went forward and fell approximately about 5 feet to the other parking level and violently hit the back of a pickup truck which was parked. I had my seat belt on. My body went forward and backward violently. For the next few days I had experienced muscle pain, stiffness and poor night sleep. The accident was reported to the police.

- Houston, TX, USA