2008 Lexus RX400H steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Lexus RX400H:

2008 Lexus RX400H Owner Comments

Nov 022015

RX400H

While driving on a city street, I lost power steering completely. P/S and brake dash lights came on along with "service hybrid system" and "service AWD system". after a few more miles the vehicle lost complete propulsion power and I was forced to pull out of traffic. I turned off the vehicle and it started fine with no power steering. I made the next mile to the dealership. They replaced the ECU that had shorted out due to a bad steering rack. I am not sure why the electronic steering mechanism would cause complete loss of power from the engine/hybrid system?

- Prosper, TX, USA

Jan 012015

RX400H

Power steering can hardly move

- Canton, GA, USA

Nov 162014

RX400H 6-cyl

While driving back home from a road trip I noticed that the steering wheel started to shake and I heard a knocking noise. I was driving approximately 50-60mph. I slowed down and tried to pull over but before I could do so, my front passenger wheel (the entire rim and tire) broke off of the car. Luckily I had enough momentum and was able to pull the car over safely to the grassy shoulder. I purchased my car used back in 2012 and it only had 28,000 miles on it. This vehicle has always been serviced at a Lexus dealership (by the previous owners and by myself since I purchased the vehicle). I do not understand how anything like this could have happened. Luckily no one in my vehicle was injured and that the other drivers on the road were able to maneuver around my car and the tire that flew across three lanes of traffic on the highway I was driving on. The repairs to the vehicle was approximately $4,000.

- Central Islip, NY, USA

Sep 302013

RX400H

As of this date, there has not been an accident or failure to the steering rack on this car. However, when the car was in the Lexus dealership for a routine oil change, I was told by a representative of the service department there is a leakage of fluid from the steering rack boot and if left un-repaired it would be a significant problem. What caught my attention more was their statement that this should be/have been a recall as it is a problem on the Lexus RX350 spanning several model years. I don't know if by "recall" they meant a voluntary recall or a NHTSA recall. One does not have to let one's imagination wander too far to contemplate the seriousness of a failure while on the highway.

- Osprey, FL, USA

May 142013

RX400H

The water pump went and while replaced the rack and pinion is leeking.....seems early for problems with these cars and maybe a major safety issue!

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Aug 252010

RX400H

While turning into parking lot from road bumped the right front tire into curb at approx 4 mph. Power steering immediately ceased to function. Told by Toyota mechanic that a high voltage power spike destroyed the power steering computer. Paid $1050 for replacement of power steering computer. Does this mean a pothole can also fry the P/S computer.

- Harbor City, CA, USA

Oct 152009

RX400H

I drive a 2008 Lexus Rx400H. I experienced a serious electric power steering failure, which caused me to loose control of the car while driving. On Oct 15, 2009, I drove my car on the freeway without incident. Later that day, I parked my Lexus rx vehicle, and in doing so I turned the steering wheel to the right "lock' position. When I returned to the car I made a hard left U-turn to exit the parking area. As soon as I accelerated and tried to turn the wheel back towards the right to steer, I realized my power steering had failed completely, and I could barely control the car. After struggling with the steering for several hundred yards, I was finally able to park the car at the side of the road. The incident occurred in the evening and the vehicle was towed to the closest Lexus dealership the next day. The Lexus dealership repair technician initially reported that "steering wheel does not work" - "towed-in" - "light is on" "check and advise". upon further examination, the Lexus repair tech reported a "code C1568 power steering open circuit". the Lexus dealer informed me that this power steering problem was "covered by warranty". the Lexus repair team installed a computer assy, power steering 89650-48010. Suddenly, Lexus refused to cover any cost to repair this failure because they claimed they had determined that the power steering failure could only be caused by a collision. I did not have a collision. I wrote to Toyota of America, and they confirmed this conclusion to be correct.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 082008

RX400H

All four tires needed to be replaced in a brand new vehicle after only 1000 miles because the car is titled to the left and misaligned. After six attempts, two different dealers can't get the defects fixed.

- San Diego, CA, USA