2004 Lexus RX 330 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Lexus RX 330:

2004 Lexus RX 330 Owner Comments

Oct 162014

RX 330 6-cyl

I got in the car at 2 P.M. after driving 1/4 mile it would not take off from the stop sign it stalled and lunged forward due to loss of connection when stepping on the gas pedal. I depressed the brake and shifted from D to 4 and it began to shake in the front of the bumper. I pulled over, put it in neutral with the parking brake on and my emergency flashers on, and opened the hood. It stopped shaking and I removed the floor mat, which is attached with clips and with my hand, I pushed the gas pedal. It had no rev in the engine, as I would expect. I got back in the car and shifted to R and then with the brake off, I shifted to 4. the check engine light was flashing and vsc light as well. I can tell you for certain my car was not overheating when I took it to sears auto center with warning lights vsc and check engine coming on intermittently. If the vehicle overheating was the cause of the damage the temperature gauge on the dash would have indicated that when I brought it to sears. Mike, service advisor at Lexus of roseville stated in an E-mail to me that his technician ┐┐found # 5 cylinder intake valves bent and stuck. #1 cylinder intake valve sticking (will stay open till piston hits and closes it). Suspect vehicle overheated causing valve to stick in guides.my car was not overheating and I think the engine is defective. I had a lkq engine installed amd it was fine for a month before it started sounding like marbles. I think my car is damaged due to a defect. I had just had a ful synthetic oil change two weeks before this incident occurred and put four brand new tires as well. I bought the car with only 101K miles for $23,000 in August 2013 and I still owe $5,000 on my loan. My car had all the service records from Lexus of rockville, proving this car was well maintained by both myself and the previous owner.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012013

RX 330 6-cyl

I have had an ongoing issue with my '04 Lexus RX330. I am concerned because the engine needle goes into the red zone almost immediately upon driving the car. I have had to fill up the coolant tank every 3 months. The problem was just diagnosed as a crack in the radiator. I found a tsb for this issue but am the 2nd owner and was never notified. It appears that I am out of the coverage period. Is there cause for concern that this issue could lead to further damage to the car or a sudden driving impairment" does a tsb = a recall" Lexus has told me that there is nothing they can do for me.

- Narragansett, RI, USA

May 172013

RX 330 6-cyl

Front end collision in 2004 Lexus rx 330 with 206,000 miles going approximately 55 mph. Car is totaled per insurance adjuster. Driver and three children in car. No serious injuries. No airbags deployed. Have contacted Lexus and am awaiting answer. Car has been to dealership several times since purchased and nothing mentioned about airbag issue.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jul 162012

RX 330 6-cyl

Only 60K miles for the car, the water pump leaks and need to complete replacement.

- Monroe Twp, NJ, USA