2004 Lexus RX 330 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Lexus RX 330:

2004 Lexus RX 330 Owner Comments

May 012012

RX 330

Parent co, Toyota issued a voluntary replacement of dashboard due to cracked, sticky, shiny condition in what was an obvious attempt to stave off an official government recall and/or a class action. Parent co, Toyota is now stalling by not supplying the dealers with said dashboards they promised to replace. I first brought this issue to the attention of my dealer in may of 2012. Even if the dealer was receiving the dashboards at the rate of 2 or 3 a week as originally promised, it would be another full year or more before they would replace mine. At this time, the dealers are receiving none and no dashboards are being replaced. This is not just a cosmetic issue, it's a severe safety hazard. In the case of my dash, which is completely covered with cracks, if the airbag is deployed at 200 mph those small little pieces of plastic will shred my face and the faces of anyone riding with me into hamburger. Considering the fact that the takata air bags can be deployed even when there isn't a accident, makes it even a bigger hazard. Enough is enough, the government needs to step in and issue an official recall and force Toyota to replace the dashboards immediately without any more legal stall tactics. The vehicle is essentially undriveable in it's present condition. I have health conditions that prevent me from working at this time and need the vehicle to get to my doctors. I couldn't afford to buy a new vehicle even if this one was in excellent trade-in value. It's been over 4 years for me, longer for others and will be multiple more years at this rate. I need a safe vehicle to drive, like the one I was promised when I purchased this one.

- Atlantic Beach, FL, USA

Jun 102014

RX 330

The Lexus Rx 330 is on recall by Lexus because the dash has developed cracks, I have been waiting 2 years for a replacement and was told by Lexus of orlando I am number 1024 on their list fro replacement. By the time they get to me according to my calculations the year will be 2095 at the pace that they are replacing the dashes. Also Lexus has a problem with their brake light switches, all of them seem to develop a problem where the vsc, brakes and ABS lights all come on at the same time. This problem has happened to all three Lexus' that I have owned. They are aware of the problem because right next to the shifter is a small cover to bypass the hard shifter.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 012013

RX 330

I have a severely cracked dashboard and a lot of the very deep cracks are over where the passenger airbag is located. This has been a problem for a few years now but lately it has gotten much worse in the area of the airbag. Lexus acknowleges the problem but they say it could be several more months or even years before they have enough replacement dashboards. I believe my dashboard is more of a safety issue than just cosmetic. Unable to attach photos but could email them to you if an email address is provided.

- Davie, FL, USA

Jun 012010

RX 330

Dashboard completely cracking all over. Front lights fogged over, cannot drive car at night time due to this due to safety hazard.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012015

RX 330

Dashboard is cracking and coming apart. It has become shiny to the point that it gives off a glare. I have a serious concern as to the safety of the vehicle in this condition. Since this could affect my safety, the safety of my family and other motorists, it should be corrected immediately. I contacted Lexus/Toyota and they are unwilling to fix the problem at this time.

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Jul 222006

RX 330

My car has leaked somewhere every time it rains and the water enters the car somehow and runs under the carpet and puddles under the driver and front passenger feet area. There is also water that puddles under the carpet in the rear foot wells too. It has rotted the carpet over time as it dries out until the next rain event. The car smells weird as a result of this wetness and drying out. We keep the car in our garage but it's impossible to find shelter when you're out and about every time it rains. The dealership blew out the air conditioning lines and checked the sun roof but since we bought the car used we have always had the suspicion that it was in an accident or something and never told us and somehow this causes the water leak. We don't know what the cause is but it's a shame for a quality car to have this problem. The tech at bergstrom told us we could buy new carpet and have it installed. Really?.. we stopped going there for service out of frustration and we have been plagued with our leaky cars wet interior when it rains. The car was this way from the very beginning but we didn't know what was going for over a year until the floor was saturated. The carpet didn't dry rot immediately but over the years.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Aug 012015

RX 330

This accident was happened by my mother in law at the starbucks parking spot, shoreline, wa. She was driving slow to park the car in the spot and she only pushed the brake to finish the parking. However, the car suddenly sped up and jumped over the parking spot's fence. Then, the car broke the iron pole and hit the coming car along the street over the fence. She said she didn't touch anything and just didn't swich the gear. She was very shocked and startled, also she doesn't want to drive the car anymore. If there haven't had an audden acceleration, the accident wouldn't have happened. That's why our family this could be a sudden acceleration case for 2004 Lexus RX330.

- Shoreline, WA, USA

Jul 012014

RX 330

My 2004 Lexus RX330 has horrible paint issues on the front bumper. Paint started chipping off in huge sections and it looks terrible. This has only happened on the front bumper and the rear view mirrors. Seems like the paint is defective in these area's. so disappointed. Also the transmission is messed up. Seems like it hops in between 1-2 RPM. I even had the transmission rebuilt and it still didn't fix the issue. It still does it. I have heard that this is a major issue with these vehicles.

- Owasso, OK, USA

May 012015

My 2004 Lexus rx 330 has cracked all over the dashboard

- Mckinney, TX, USA

May 032010

RX 330

The dashboard began to melt. Literally. I tried to wipe it off and the towel melted into the dashboard the dealership blamed it on armor-all. The car was about 7 Y/O at the time. I am the second owner. I did not research this until I saw a program that suggested the airbags may be affected. Thank you.

- Juno Beach, FL, USA

Jan 212008

RX 330 6-cyl

2004 Lexus rx 330 that has been taken to dealer on several occasions concerning the vibrating the car does at speeds of 65mph or more. The care does not do it all the time and rarely does it in within city miles. But once on the highway, the vehicle starts violently vibrating which makes it hard to try and keep the car steady on the highway. The sound of the engine changes and the speed drops down to around 60 while the episode occurs and then out of the blue it clears and the car drives normal. I have contacted Lexus regarding the problem and the dealership claims they cannot find anything. I want this information on record in case of an accident and something happened to me while driving this car or to someone else as a result of the vibrating episodes. Last occurrence was January 21, 07. I have not been back on the highway since then but occurrence was also on Dec 17 while on the highway, Aug while on the highway, Mar, may, July all while on the highway, it even occurred in Feb after picking it up from the dealer and the problem was supposedly taken care of. I don't know what els to do here but report the problem to you all.

- Alexandria, AL, USA

Nov 272007

RX 330 4WD

Questions on any recalls for 2004 Lexus RX330. Consumer is asking if there is any recalls for on the 2004 Lexus RX330.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jan 102006

RX 330 6-cyl

My Lexus RX330 (2004) has 20,000 miles and the A/C has a foul odor which the dealership said is mold. They said the problem occurs when using recycled air function with the ac and said the manufacturer says not to use it because it allows mold to grow. They sprayed ac system w/ ac odor treatment. I think the mold is a safety problem as many people are allergic, and this is a defect with the ac system. Service dept said the problem is occurring with other luxury cars (Jaguar, BMW).

- San Carlos, CA, USA