2005 Lexus RX 330 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Lexus RX 330:

2005 Lexus RX 330 Owner Comments

Jul 272016

RX 330

Transmission cooler lines were severely corroded and needed replacement. Fluid leaking. Transmission cooler lines are stationed on the bottom frame of the vehicle - in a place where the effects from road salt and water are the most extreme.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Dec 162015

RX 330 6-cyl

I was driving in the far right hand lane on Thursday, Dec. 16 at approximately 8:45 pm. I entered I 680S at the bollinger canyon road exit and I was approaching the alcosta blvd exit. I hit something I assume was in the road because I didn't see anything and the item flew up in the air after the impact. I didn't stop, but continued to drive and I heard a whirring sound. I continued to my destination to the hilton garden inn in livermore where I was meeting a friend, who was staying at the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel and told my friend what happened, he came to my car to look at the damage. I drove my car to B&S hacienda auto body on old santa rita road and left my car in the parking lot. On Thursday, Dec 17, I drove on I 680S and saw a mangled shovel with a green handle on the shoulder as I was approaching the alcosta blvd exit. Cal trans was doing work on the left side of the highway beyond the alcosta blvd exit the night I hit the item in the road. I believe the shovel I hit was left in the road by a cal trans work crew. I have over $6,000 worth of damage done to my car as a result of hitting what I believe to be a shovel that was left in the road.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Jul 012013

RX 330

The dash of my car is cracking and chipping

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Sep 132011

RX 330

1. I have always kept my car in a garage & only used products recommended & bought directly from Lexus. Upon entering my vehicle my daughter noticed a large crack in the dash running from bottom side of glove compartment to top of dash. Pieces that fall off crumble to dust the second they're touched. My local dealership told me they've had hundreds of cars coming in w the same issue and it would be $1500 for the replacement and that didn't include labor! 2. my moon(sun) roof stopped working literally just one day wouldn't close all the way. I had to have the dealership cut the cable so they could close it so rain etc didn't leak into my vehicle. Again there was no reason for this! I was told again the part wad at least $1500 not including labor..... how coincidental it's the same price as replacing my dash. 3. when I purchased the vehicle from Lexus I was given a "paint pen" for some light scratches that were from the previous owner (I bought the car with a little over 3000 miles on it in 2007)and I asked them to use it so I wouldn't have to worry if I applied it wrong. After the repair gentleman did a few spots I stopped him because you could see exactly where he had applied it, it was raised and the color was off. They said there was nothing they could do to fix it. Now these issues were not due to any accident or improper driving or having some inexperienced mechanic doing work. I have Lexus taking care of my services etc and these problems are expensive and something I should not have had to deal with. I am flabbergasted that Lexus/Toyota will not stand behind their products and fix issues that hundreds of thousands of owners are having. I want Lexus to correct this for myself and the other owners that are voicing their concerns. As it stands many of us will never buy another Lexus again because of these issues.

- Perry, GA, USA

Aug 192011

RX 330

While backing out of my parking place in our underground garage I put on the brake to go from reverse to drive. When I put the vehicle in drive the engine raced up and the car surged forward. I was only 15 feet from a brick wall of which I hit at an angle. I bounced off this wall and went 10 feet further head on into another wall. I did not touch the gas petal, the mats are rubber and were not a problem. The vehicle just suddenly accelerated. The air bags did not deploy and I shut the engine off as soon as I could but given the fact that the total travel length was around 30 feet this was not possible. This is a know problem with Toyota!! we love our car but we are now afraid of it. My insurance rates will be going up because of a factory defect and all I have seen are excuses in regards to this problem.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 052011

RX 330

I was parked in a garage on a ramp and left the car in gear (drive) and after exiting the vehicle, it rolled back into another car. The Lexus 330 is supposed to prohibit one from removing the keys from the ignition when in gear. My car continues to allow me to remove the key (engine off) while in drive.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 052010

RX 330

I took my Lexus rx 330 in for it's 90,000 mile scheduled maintenance and told them that it had a roaring noise like a wheel bearing. The scheduled maintenance included replacing the timing belt and they did both rear wheel bearings, with some fluid replacement and other items. I have owned new cars for over 45 years and have always kept them for over 10 years and over 100,000 miles and have never had to have a timing belt replaced. In that same time period I have had to have only one wheel bearing replaced and that was on a vehicle that was 17 years old with 180,000 miles on it. To have to have this done on a vehicle that is only 5 years old is unacceptable, especially on a high end vehicle like a Lexus. This suggests to me that either inferior parts are being used or they were defective at installation. Of course Lexus would never admit to either. I have contacted the dealer maintenance with no response and their customer service, which responded with an apology for my concern. Nothing has been done however. If you can bring some pressure on Lexus to make good on their "alleged" quality I would appreciate it. Thank you.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Sep 062009

RX 330

On Sept. 6, 2009 while turning into a general store parking space at less than 5 miles an hour when vehicle suddenly began high acceleration to an estimated 30mph or more before running over parking blocks, attempted braking and crashed into seating benches and building, and proceeded to shut down engine. Police arrived at scene.

- Brewster, MA, USA

Jul 122005

RX 330

The tail light lense of the new Lexus SUV is clear/white plastic and is a safety hazard to the vehicle following it when the sun shines on it from that direction.I have been distracted/blinded a number of times.what ever happened to the law that required the tail lights to be red?Toyota must think that this is a cool styling feature.this is a definite safety problem and should be addressed.

- Beacon, NY, USA